• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    This seems the best place to throw this. I know we have a good mix of all different levels of gunsmiths here. After getting a new coworker who's so bad that it's making me consider a career change, I started looking at gunsmithing, figuring that at the very least, I would have something other than mechanic and IT to make sure I never had a free minute. Online research turned up information about both apprenticing and online school options. I'm looking at this as a hobby with the potential to try to dip my toe into professional work, so I thought I would ask people in the know: Do you think it would be worth it to try an online certification program? The one I'm looking at (MGS Trade School) seems reasonably priced compared to the others, and has actual hands-on projects that it sends you at various points in the course. It also (at the highest level) sends a ton of equipment to get started, like a buffer, grinder, Dremel, sander, tools, and a build of your choice as a "final".

I just really want everyone's opinion on the worth of a program like this. I figure that, at the very least, I end up with a basic knowledge of the craft, some decent tools, and a framework if I ended up wanting to go train under someone. All opinions welcome.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I don't do work (gunsmithing) for anyone but me, I build my own competition rifles.
    If it were me, I would find a current 'smith and apprenticeship under there tutoring.
    A fully tooled lathe & mill are a must. $15k for both.....but do yourself a favor, most gunsmith do most things the hard way and just know how to use the machines to do 1 job, get yourself some machine shop training.
    You will need your FFL.
    Think about this as you make up your mind, I'm not trying to stop you....

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    I don't do work (gunsmithing) for anyone but me, I build my own competition rifles.
    If it were me, I would find a current 'smith and apprenticeship under there tutoring.
    A fully tooled lathe & mill are a must. $15k for both.....but do yourself a favor, most gunsmith do most things the hard way and just know how to use the machines to do 1 job, get yourself some machine shop training.
    You will need your FFL.
    Think about this as you make up your mind, I'm not trying to stop you....
    I'd love to be able to do that, but the main draw of the options I found were being able to do it in my own time. Not at a point in my life that I can take off work to go apprentice under a smith or work in a machine shop. I was hoping to get started small, with maybe some mid-level stuff like full tear downs, light repair work, and the like. Like I said, more of a hobby at the moment, so not dumping all of my time into it. I appreciate the advice, though!

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'd love to be able to do that, but the main draw of the options I found were being able to do it in my own time. Not at a point in my life that I can take off work to go apprentice under a smith or work in a machine shop. I was hoping to get started small, with maybe some mid-level stuff like full tear downs, light repair work, and the like. Like I said, more of a hobby at the moment, so not dumping all of my time into it. I appreciate the advice, though!
    If you don't have the time to take off work, means you are affording life...

I took on 2 apprentices. One became successful, one didn't. I didn't charge for either. However, now, I wouldn't do it unless someone was willing to pay a significant amount and sign a no compete clause.

May sound rude, but there's not many of us around. Which means competition is in demand, which also means experience is limited as well. Then factor in space, liability and time....

Well you get the picture. Time is money.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    If you don't have the time to take off work, means you are affording life...

I took on 2 apprentices. One became successful, one didn't. I didn't charge for either. However, now, I wouldn't do it unless someone was willing to pay a significant amount and sign a no compete clause.

May sound rude, but there's not many of us around. Which means competition is in demand, which also means experience is limited as well. Then factor in space, liability and time....

Well you get the picture. Time is money.
    I 100% get that. That only makes sense from a business standpoint. And you're right: I'm fully comfortable and affording life right now, just looking for a hobby that I can use to expand my current gun obsession....I mean, hobby lol.

360willys

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    I suggest doing some more research. I work on my stuff or have a friend if I go over my head. But a few places in northern Indian gun shops quit because of legal reasons. I never asked further and maybe they just couldn't find anyone worth a darn.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom