Getting first smartphone tomorrow which to get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thinking of Iphone 4s or Samsung Galaxy but open to others. The whole thing is confusing. I am familiar with apple products but not against getting something else if it will work better for me. I currently have an Ipod that I carry with me along with my dumb phone and that is getting old so Im getting the smartphone tomorrow most likely. I also have a macbook pro which I will probably never get rid of.

What Id like the phone to be able to do:
    camera with flash
    mp3 player
    surf the internet(connect to wifi)
    good apps that work as advertised
    GPS

I wont lie I like the latest and greatest technology. My Ipod touch was jailbroken about the second day I had it and thats why Im thinking maybe there is more out there even though I really like apple products. Any suggestions are appreciated. All the technology these days can make things confusing.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I don't know of a smartphone with a built in flash camera. I have the straight talk lg droid, it works well. Also has wifi.

I would avoid the iPhone. Anyone I know that switched from droid to apple, wishes they would have gotten another droid.

That said, MY droid has everything you are wanting...just shoddy sprint pcs signal on my way to work.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    In a couple of months folks should start coming out with the new stuff. I would wait if i could
    The new Iphone should be out in june or so. And no one has really come out with anything "new" for Android in a year. Sure they pump out new phones but the specs are all pretty much the same.

I upgraded finally in feb. I chose an older phone droidx2 on sale for 50 bucks and bought the extended battery to go along with it . It isnt 4G but where i live that isnt available but other than that its got pretty much the same specs as the newer phone. Also i have verizon.

Point is really think this through! If ur in a two year contract with a phone your not happy with ur going to be miserable..... ive been there.

Your also limited by what provider your with

Jake

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    I got an iPhone 4s. I used to have a droid x2. I lil my iPhone but the only bad thing is that adobe flash player won't work on ur iPhone. Since apple and adobe are in the middle of a law suit. The hand free app is better on ur iPhone then a droid. Doesn't really mess up your words. That are Siri really does helP ou when u ask her certain things. She's found me a few titty bars (just seeing what all she could dO)

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    Which Samsung Galaxy? "Galaxy" is a line of phones. I had a Samsung Epic 4g on Sprint and the phones back cover said Galaxy SII. Had a slide out keyboard. I owned three of them. Broke one, bricked one, and sold the third after I took my ol' lady's iphone 4 for myself. I've had a few Android phones, but honestly I'm pretty happy with the iphone. It just seems to work whereas the Android stuff I had problems constantly needing to reboot.

I never thought I would say it, but not being able to tweak every little detail of the phone is actually kind of nice. It lets me just do the stuff I need it to do, and not worry about crap I can't customize anyways.

I was as anti-Apple as they come, but I like the iphone. I wouldn't pay big bucks for one, but if you're due for an upgrade one can be had for significantly less than the $6,000,000 they charge for them.

Yes, I know what my avatar pic says LOL.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    THC Thunderbolt has all of those features. I've had for about a year now and I'm satisfied with it. I have no knowledge of anything that's been out since then though.

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'm an android user, my wife has an iPhone. I like both. I feel that the iPhone has a smaller learning curve. I like the Android OS for personal workflow reasons. Realistically though, go pick up the phones and play with them. Figure out what you do and don't like.

Also, a major plus for the iPhone, that all the android manufacturers could stand to learn, battery life is amazing.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    The HTC EVO 4G LTE or the ONE line depending on carrier is the fastest, best screen, coolest phone out right now. So today, that is the top of the line. My wife has a Galaxy s2 and loves it. We are with sprint.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm content with my iPhone, but it's the only smartphone I've had, so I can't offer a comparison. My wife loves her iPhone, so because of that and the fact that we are grandfathered in on the unrestricted data plan, I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Since you have a dumbphone and ipod, just get the iphone and be done with it. All iPhones are simply ipods that can make phone calls which sounds like what you want. Neither android or iOS are "better", it's just which interface and quirks one wants to live with.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    If you go with the Galaxy S then be sure to get the Galaxy S 2 edition. The Galaxy S had a few issues especially with randomly shutting off and GPS issues that was fixed with the S 2 edition

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd personally stay away from the Samsung line. Granted, I don't have the best one in the bunch, but the fail rate in function is phenomenal. It's constantly freezing up. And while it only lasts for 10-30 seconds, if you're trying to do something, that's long enough. Particularly when it's time sensitive or involving an attempt to make or answer a call. You can't do crap when it's trying to play catch-up.

I will be moving to an iPhone at the end of the year when this contract is up (or whenever I max out the discount for renewing). Mostly because I'm operating an OS desktop and an iPad and I want the continuity. But absent those, I would be content to stay with the Droid platform.

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I've had zero problems with my iPhone 4 (not 4s). I really like it. Its easy to use and hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. I've had Verizon for 11 years and they also haven't given me any issues. In fact, when I split my number off of my ex-husband's, they reinstated the unlimited data plan I'd had on the joint account because I've been a customer for so long. Bonus points for them.

FWIW, I am HARD on phones. I have horses and groom dogs. My iPhone is generally stuffed in a back pocket while I'm doing barn chores or grooming dogs. Its in dust/dirt/damp/etc. constantly. Its also been dropped off of my horse onto pavement/gravel/mud a few dozen times. I do have it in an Otterbox, but it will be two years old this summer and is still doing perfectly fine.

I'll definitely stick with the iPhone platform when its time for a new phone.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At the old job I had the new Blackberry Bold. It was neat, It had good functionality, a very stable OS and corporate freindly. They battery life was not the greatest but I could listen to music streaming on a weak wi-fi signal for about 5 hours and on a good signal for about 7 hours without recharging. I did like the keyboard but the small screen was just OK. If I was still with them I was going to get the blackberry tablet and tether it to the phone. Since everybody seems to think that blackberry is dead it might be a good cheap phone if they don't sell well.
    Think major rebates and a loss on the cost of the phone to blackberry to get it active in the market.
    I do believe that with the lastest OS update they run all andriod app's.

We have Ipod touch, They are rock solid and not jail broken but they belong to the Kids and they love them. My oldest has broken her screen but it still works. My fingers work the touch screen well but I do not have fat fingers. Unless jailbroke you are stuck with ITUNES. Some of the models of the Iphone had anntenna problems other than that they are solid. You can even pay your meter in Indy using one. Soon to come getting a coke from a machine with the Iphone.

I can't say enough about the otter box cases they are well worth the price. Also the options like car charger, Good klipsh headphones, Plantronics bluetooth and even engraving of the case with name and email address. (Cell phone number would not do real well on a cell phone. )

Top Bottom