Getting first smartphone tomorrow which to get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you're planning on an iPhone, wait until the iPhone 5. I wouldn't be looking for it to be out in June, everything I've read says late 2012 (fall). There are plenty of good android phones, not really sure why some talk about the learning curve being more difficult. It is a phone. Mess with it a little and you figure it out. Download the apps you want, mess with them and BOOM...you figure it out.

I've got an old android based phone and an iPod Touch...I'd feel really dumb if either of them had a difficult learning curve.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's been said, but the Galaxy S is a whole line of phone with similar hardware and software. I had the GalaxyS Captivate with AT&T, loved it. My mother has the GalaxyS Mesmerize with USCC, she likes it, but it seems slower than mine was.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    None. Smartphones are easily hacked/traced. They hold far too much data about the user with very little - or no - security to protect it. I have a dumb phone and it'll be a dumb phone till the day they haul me into the boxcar (after my mags are emptied) and ship me to the incinerator.

scott5626

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    La Porte
    I don't know a whole lot yet about guns...but smartphones are right down my alley. I have had around 50 of them. I always continue to go back to an iphone. If you are accustomed to using an ipod, then there's virtually no learning curve for you.

I could elaborate as to why I feel an iphone is superior to android but everybody has their preference.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ended up getting the iphone 4s. I would have waited for the new phones to come out but my old phone was shot. This phone should last me a couple years Im not worried about it. This thing is pretty cool. A lot like my Ipod. Thinking about jailbreaking though...

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I went with the Motorola Droid Razr and like it really well. So far it has been easy to surf the web, check email, download and use apps. I'm older so I like the bigger screen so I can see things better. I am still getting use to the touch keyboard instead of a real one. The camera seems to be pretty descent but I haven't used it much yet. It was easy to download a couple pics to FB with it.

The one advantage with a Droid phone if you are with Verizon, is they will double your data package with a Droid phone purchase through June 2.

I am a Verizon customer and just upgraded our phones through HH Gregg's Verizon store. HH Gregg agreed to price match Sam's Club Verizon prices so we saved $50 a phone. So this may be something to ask about when you purchase your new phone regardless of the type of phone you go with or where you purchase it.

Here's the Sam's link to compare prices.

Cell Phones from Sam's Club Mobile

You can change the Sam's carriers on the left if you are not a Verizon customer.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    None. Smartphones are easily hacked/traced. They hold far too much data about the user with very little - or no - security to protect it. I have a dumb phone and it'll be a dumb phone till the day they haul me into the boxcar (after my mags are emptied) and ship me to the incinerator.

You can just as easily be tracked with a "dumbphone". In fact, it is easier to turn off all GPS tracking on a smartphone..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom