• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Im going to email Guy, (since he helps write these kinds of bills) and suggest that if they do write that bill, make it so that if you can prove ownership otherwise, including photos showing the serial number that it is proof enough to claim.
    If All I need from my insurance company is a photo of the gun or at least a serial number to prove I had it to get paid for a loss, that should be good enough for IMPD. (or any other jackboot agency)

And I wonder if this was Frank Anderson's doing? I remember back in the day he mandated that all LTCH apps processed in Marion County be typewritten. Not clearly printed as specified on the form per ISP's requirements, but TYPEWRITTEN. His people would take a sharpie and do this to the instruction "All entries must be typewritten or clearly printed legibly." along with a full page of instructions stapled to it that also mandated typing. He went out of his way to make it as hard as possible to get. I guess if you werent smart/wealthy enough to own a typewriter, work somewhere with access to one, or know you could use one at a library, you didn't need a LTCH.

When I went to the ISP office to change my address, I politely griped to the lady about their requirement. She was sitting at her desk and said "No, that is Indy's rule. Not ours. *holds up a stack of apps* None of these are typed and they are just fine."
    It feels like we'll be fighting on multiple fronts for the foreseeable future. I guess we have been on multiple fronts for a long time, might as well add the property room to our list of fronts.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Sounds like time to file suit in civil court in order to take a shot at getting the firearm back into your possession. All the banter about a criminal complaint or theft is just that, banter.

Of course, the problem becomes how much is the firearm worth vis-a-vis your money, time, and effort with or without an attorney. THAT is the real problem here. The system is rigged that way against the firearm owner. It almost does not matter what the SCOTUS says about the 2A when it comes to more mundane matters like the one at hand. Damned bureaucrats!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sounds like time to file suit in civil court in order to take a shot at getting the firearm back into your possession. All the banter about a criminal complaint or theft is just that, banter.

Of course, the problem becomes how much is the firearm worth vis-a-vis your money, time, and effort with or without an attorney. THAT is the real problem here. The system is rigged that way against the firearm owner. It almost does not matter what the SCOTUS says about the 2A when it comes to more mundane matters like the one at hand. Damned bureaucrats!
    Which is why maybe it should be a class action suit.
    Instead of releasing a firearm to a litigant, to remove 'standing', all the people waiting on a gun (that isn't evidence or legal investigation) the lawsuit would continue.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Im going to email Guy, (since he helps write these kinds of bills) and suggest that if they do write that bill, make it so that if you can prove ownership otherwise, including photos showing the serial number that it is proof enough to claim.
    If All I need from my insurance company is a photo of the gun or at least a serial number to prove I had it to get paid for a loss, that should be good enough for IMPD. (or any other jackboot agency)

And I wonder if this was Frank Anderson's doing? I remember back in the day he mandated that all LTCH apps processed in Marion County be typewritten. Not clearly printed as specified on the form per ISP's requirements, but TYPEWRITTEN. His people would take a sharpie and do this to the instruction "All entries must be typewritten or clearly printed legibly." along with a full page of instructions stapled to it that also mandated typing. He went out of his way to make it as hard as possible to get. I guess if you werent smart/wealthy enough to own a typewriter, work somewhere with access to one, or know you could use one at a library, you didn't need a LTCH.

When I went to the ISP office to change my address, I politely griped to the lady about their requirement. She was sitting at her desk and said "No, that is Indy's rule. Not ours. *holds up a stack of apps* None of these are typed and they are just fine."

My first permit was through Portage.
    It had to be typewritten. Local PD said they wouldn't accept it if it wasn't.
    Also, because there USED TO BE a requirement to state your 'need', and that line had been removed, they wanted your 'reason' to be typed out on the back.
    My reason was 'I work and travel through Gary at all times of the day and night'.

The old guys at work were surprised the permit went through the first time, because the Merrillville guys had all been turned down and had to file appeals. The Chief when they filed, would NOT approve any permits. This way 'if something happened', he could blame the State PD.

Which must have changed for the better.
    Because my 2nd or 3rd permit was in Merrillville.
    They had a secretary fill out the papers on the typewriter right in front of me. So everything was nice and neat.
    The only inconvenience was, they only accepted ltch applications one day a week, and only a couple hours on that day.
    It was right at the time, that if I was working days, I would get there too late.
    If I was working 3-11s, I would have to go to work before they opened.
    If I was on mids, I could make it, if I cut short my sleep.
    When I mentioned the inconvenience to the secretary, she said, 'Well, we don't want to make it too easy you know.'
    I kept my mouth shut. Arguing with the secretary probably wouldn't be advantageous to getting the ltch.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have never had an encounter with them. If you have seeking legal council would probably be a great idea.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Frankly, some of my guns are so old the original receipt is faded beyond legibility. No way to "prove ownership." Are they treating ALL recovered property this way, or just firearms? If they're treating firearms differently, I think that raises another potential issue.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is being discussed at length on another thread. We can merge the threads, well, I can when I’m on a computer and not on my phone.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Bump and merged with the other "IMPD Property Room" thread.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom