• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm considering getting into bow shooting.

Not sure if I'd start hunting with it or not but would like to learn how to shoot a bow.

What brands/models do you suggest?

Thanks!

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I stop by my local pawn shop about once a week to see what they have in. I already had a Mathews Switchback, but up graded to a newer Mathews for around $300. Had sight and quiver. I think that's a great place to get your feet wet. I've seen better set-ups since buying my latest, but I like mine.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Not sure if I'd start hunting with it or not but would like to learn how to shoot a bow.

Thanks!
    How big a boy are ye?

Right or left handed?

Any idea what yer draw length is?

Strength level? Can you pull 70# comfortably?

Wheelie bow or recurve or stick?

Fingers or release?

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I would suggest to go to an Archery Pro Shop and pick some up and see how they feel. While your there shoot a few different brands or whatever they have. Most shops carry a few different brands of compounds and some have recurves too if you go that route. They will also help you with the correct draw length. See something you like, save some money and buy a used one somewhere else. I have shot and owned several brands of compounds but have always gone back to Hoyt.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have not had my bow out for four years....

I really need to get it out.

Bow shooting is some fun and relaxing stuff.

Bow hunting deer is good stuff...the way the hunting regs go, you get to see a whole different part of their behavior.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Thanks!
    I don't know where you are located but I have Bear Legion complete setup I could make you a really good deal on. I'm in Starke County and would travel an hour or so for you.

My suggestion is to stay away from heavy draw weights, stick with 50-60 lbs. The heavier weights make it harder for you to focus on your form, that's the most important thing, being able to repeat your form every time. That and make sure it's tuned pretty good. Put it on paper and make sure the arrow flys straight.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The used Mathews tip is good advice. They're for sale everywhere, and you don't take the big depreciation hit on the new ones. They are fairly adjustable for draw length, but as a noob, you'll need direction from the seller or pro shop on checking your draw length. It is a great sport, but it's not like a gun, and poor setup can cause a lot of frustration.

I recommend that once you get it bought, if you don't have access to a good pro shop to help you with the setup, call Lancaster Archery, tell them what you have, and get a dozen "mid cost" arrows made to order for it. Just so you can shoot it with a matched arrow to see if you enjoy it before spending more. Draw weight and length can significantly change your arrow tune. If the person selling it has some arrows, fine, but they may or may not have known what they were doing when they purchased them and set it up.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I stop by my local pawn shop about once a week to see what they have in. I already had a Mathews Switchback, but up graded to a newer Mathews for around $300. Had sight and quiver. I think that's a great place to get your feet wet. I've seen better set-ups since buying my latest, but I like mine.
    I'm still shooting a 20+ yr old Matthews SQ2 and only changed the string once in all that time.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I suppose I'm looking for the Glock 19 of the bow world.

I've got an archery shop by me. Will stop in sometime and see what they have used and if I run across any used ones locally online will see what you all think.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I suppose I'm looking for the Glock 19 of the bow world.

I've got an archery shop by me. Will stop in sometime and see what they have used and if I run across any used ones locally online will see what you all think.
    IMO, the first thing is to get measured for draw length at a good bow shop, then you should handle and shoot as many bows as you can to see what fits/feels the best to you. A quality used bow is the way to go but I would suggest you don't limit yourself to Mathews or any of the other top tier brands such as Hoyt or Bowtech. Save the premium tier bows for when you have more experience and are sure you want to commit to archery. Bear, PSE, and others make quality bows that will cost half or less what a top tier bow will even used. Just stick to something made in the last 5 years of so and you should be fine.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I bought a used matthews solo cam for $50 (with release) a few years ago, shot it twice and lost all my arrows. Straight shooter archery opened up in the mall here in vigo county with an indoor range (20 yards with a 10 yard portable target). Shot three times at tens yard and was pretty good for only shooting that bow a few times minus a few times in Boy Scouts. Was shooting yesterday at 20 yards and couldn’t get my sight set. Turned out my sight was loose. Then knocked it completely out of whack and arm was tired so I stopped. Will start at ten yards next time I go.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    You should get some help. What’s going to happen is that you will get frustrated because you don’t know what you are doing, or have equipment problems. Find a mentor. Some old guy who has been shooting for a while. I’m no expert, but often help younger folks (boy is that weird to say) and new archers get their feet under them. Once you understand the basics and the equipment, it’s easy (frustrating) and fun.

Top Bottom