Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Received the same email today.
    I've priced ammo at SPB before, I'd have to be losing an active gunfight to pay their prices.
    Dosen't really matter where you've priced ammo in the past, prices are dropping everywhere, even at places like Rural King.

I'm selling some ammo below cost because I can replace it for much less now. I'm paying less than half of what I was just a few weeks ago for some calibers, and I'm actually getting decent quantities again from better sources.

We are still a long way from the market correcting itself and the distributor warehouses are still mostly empty, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I doubt that prices will ever get as low as they were in 2017/2018, but it seems like things are improving rapidly. I expect to see lots of ammo on the shelves at more reasonable prices soon. I also expect to see lots of stores offering discounts as sales slow down and inventory stacks up. We will probably see some companies go out of business, especially ones that are only a few years old.

Hopefully, nothing will happen to stop the gradual return to "normalcy". It could get crazy again at any time, and it's not that long until the midterms.

It's been said before but it is worth repeating. When prices bottom out, STOCK UP! It amazes me how many people ignore this advice and then panic when they realize that a few boxes of ammo isn't enough.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dosen't really matter where you've priced ammo in the past, prices are dropping everywhere, even at places like Rural King.

I'm selling some ammo below cost because I can replace it for much less now. I'm paying less than half of what I was just a few weeks ago for some calibers, and I'm actually getting decent quantities again from better sources.

We are still a long way from the market correcting itself and the distributor warehouses are still mostly empty, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I doubt that prices will ever get as low as they were in 2017/2018, but it seems like things are improving rapidly. I expect to see lots of ammo on the shelves at more reasonable prices soon. I also expect to see lots of stores offering discounts as sales slow down and inventory stacks up. We will probably see some companies go out of business, especially ones that are only a few years old.

Hopefully, nothing will happen to stop the gradual return to "normalcy". It could get crazy again at any time, and it's not that long until the midterms.

It's been said before but it is worth repeating. When prices bottom out, STOCK UP! It amazes me how many people ignore this advice and then panic when they realize that a few boxes of ammo isn't enough.
    I think it's great you keep us up to date on where you are seeing things, even in a post that tells some that waiting may be a good idea even if it could cost you some sales short term.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

I agree, prices are coming down on ammo.
    My point was, SPB is noticeably more expensive than most other places no matter where the market is currently.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Purchased some that was about 40% less than a few months ago (not from SPB). Figure it may still come down but one wrong word from obiden and I figure all the price drops would disappear overnight!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I stopped in Cabellas this morning on my way north. Really wanted .22s none there but..they had all the bulk pack .556 .223 you could want at about .55 cpr 7.62 also. But I have been stocked for awhile and didn't need rifle ammo so I left it for someone else. I actually have. 22s also but I can't walk past a brick of .22s for a fair price and not get those..The thing I did notice is other people were leaving them on the shelf also. So its a matter of time before the price drops.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My "weird" calibers haven't been coming down yet. My go-to, SGAmmo is still charging 35 bucks for calibers that used to go for 14.95 to 16.95 per 20 round box. (6.5 Carcano, .303 Brit, etc.). Hopefully those start to come back down too.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    My "weird" calibers haven't been coming down yet. My go-to, SGAmmo is still charging 35 bucks for calibers that used to go for 14.95 to 16.95 per 20 round box. (6.5 Carcano, .303 Brit, etc.). Hopefully those start to come back down too.
    We have 6.5 Carcano and .303 British on the shelf now for $23.37 plus tax. Hopefully they will still come down some more, but we are currently still paying more than we were selling them for 2 years ago. We were just able to lower the price after the last truck came and they have been selling fast.
    6.5 Carcano was $65.43 plus tax only a month ago, so it's already a huge improvment!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    We have 6.5 Carcano and .303 British on the shelf now for $23.37 plus tax. Hopefully they will still come down some more, but we are currently still paying more than we were selling them for 2 years ago. We were just able to lower the price after the last truck came and they have been selling fast.
    6.5 Carcano was $65.43 plus tax only a month ago, so it's already a huge improvment!
    Got any 380 Auto?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Got any 380 Auto?
    We do, but what we have came from secondary sources (meaning, it's still too expensive). I'm hoping to get some on the next truck that will be cheaper. The market is really strange right now, some calibers will take a little longer to return to a lower price.
    Be patient, .380 should be one of the next ones to get cheaper. What has me worried is that it may still take several months for the less common calibers to become more available.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    We do, but what we have came from secondary sources (meaning, it's still too expensive). I'm hoping to get some on the next truck that will be cheaper. The market is really strange right now, some calibers will take a little longer to return to a lower price.
    Be patient, .380 should be one of the next ones to get cheaper. What has me worried is that it may still take several months for the less common calibers to become more available.
    It’s 2012/2013 all over again.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Tula 9mm for $340 per case and tula 223 for $356 per case. No idea on shipping charges

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tula 9mm for $340 per case and tula 223 for $356 per case. No idea on shipping charges

The 9 comes to $404.55 with shipping. If it was brass, I'd consider it, but would probably still wait. I am hoping it will dip under $375 delivered soon.

Top Bottom