• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Hello
    Maybe someone can help me. I have a 9mm german luger when fire it the bullet shoots the empty is ejected. It chambers the next round but does not set the trigger. There for it will not shoot the next round. To get it to shoot I have to cock the gun and out comes the unfired bullet in goes a new one them it will fire. What I am saying it only fires by being cocked by hand. Any ideas
    Thanks
    Jim

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Agreed. Ammunition is the first place to start. Most of the ones I shoot like 115 grain FMJ bullets, Winchester white box seems to work well. The recoil from lower powered rounds isn't sufficient to reset the action.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I have never fired a Luger, but it is my impression that they were problematic, thus the Walther P38 became the preferred German sidearm. Is that correct, or do I have a mistaken impression? I always thought they were the coolest looking handgun ever made.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lugers come from a different era of handguns. They have some issues and are particular about ammo. The P-38 is a much more modern design and was easier to manufacture.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've loaded my own for a long time so it's hard for me to recommend a brand of factory ammo. I've heard of some hotter 9mm talked about by those in law enforcement but can't remember what it was. Even a few cartridges can tell you if that's the issue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can load some what powder how much and what grain bullet

Get a faster burning powder like 231 or Bullseye and a bullet between 115 and 125 grains. Check the book for the top of the scale, with 231 depending on the book, that will be 4-4.5 grains somewhere.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Production of the Luger pistol required over 600 separate machining operations. The final product had some hand fitting between the parts by skilled craftsmen to insure functioning. That is why all the major parts are numbered, and interchanging them can lead to malfunctions. you might want to check the parts, particularly the sideplate, for consistent numbering.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good link. The idea of shooting Tula through an artillery luger does make me cringe a bit.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Production of the Luger pistol required over 600 separate machining operations. The final product had some hand fitting between the parts by skilled craftsmen to insure functioning. That is why all the major parts are numbered, and interchanging them can lead to malfunctions. you might want to check the parts, particularly the sideplate, for consistent numbering.
    Yes all the parts are numbered with the same number. Thanks for the info

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I could be wrong, but I would think if the round was allowing it to fire, eject, and load a new round, that it should be able to reset the trigger. I doubt that it’s an ammo issue, given the symptoms, but it’s sure a cheap, easy try. I can’t help much with what might be wrong though. Sounds like a trigger mech/part is worn and not resetting the trigger during recoil (but will under slow hand cycling).

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    When I have fired mine a handful of times, it cycled and fired without issue.
    When it ejects the empty casing would hit right in the forehead more times than not.
    FWIW Remington green box and Blazer brass are loaded a little bit hotter than WWB.
    If it is an ammo issue, maybe try those, also the Winchester NATO 124gr. is loaded hotter too.

Top Bottom