• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been wondering about a way to run the genny more stealthy. I have a vent in the garage wall for a portable AC unit.

Could i I run the genny exhaust out that hole and keep the genny inside the garage? Weld an adaptor to the exhaust and use either solid pipe to send the fumes outside or the flex pipe that is used on cars?

Go w larger pipe (at least 1 inch larger) than the genny exhaust to prevent or reduce back pressure.

Would put CO monitor in garage...
    Flexible pipe would be easier to use.

Wiukd you you put an additional muffler outside?

We have set up to run all the gennys in the shop. The windows are barred so they can be open. The doors can be partially opened and still very secure. The shop has a good exhaust fan in the peak. They can be ran inside with no issues. We have some serious drop cords for this purpose. Also reduces the db's at the curb.

I have toyed with extra mufflers etc. To much muffling can build heat.
    We had a really quite Honda for a long time we used for the racing trailer. It was never really big enough for what we needed. The bigger units are no where near as quite.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the old house I vented the genny with PVC pipe, but that was more for the convenience of not moving it around. Where I live now the genny is outside but being a long way from the road I can run things without it being observed.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We have set up to run all the gennys in the shop. The windows are barred so they can be open. The doors can be partially opened and still very secure. The shop has a good exhaust fan in the peak. They can be ran inside with no issues. We have some serious drop cords for this purpose. Also reduces the db's at the curb.

I have toyed with extra mufflers etc. To much muffling can build heat.
    We had a really quite Honda for a long time we used for the racing trailer. It was never really big enough for what we needed. The bigger units are no where near as quite.

Our garage has a side door (w screen door) and 2 garage doors. No windows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our garage has a side door (w screen door) and 2 garage doors. No windows.

You can cross ventilate if you look at it properly. Limit the overhead with a lock in the rails. That is what we do. Use something to limit how far the door opens and you can still get inside. There are ways. Be creative.

Always remember that if someone wants inside bad enough they will get inside. But making it as hard as possible to do so will require a lot of noise and slow them down so you can react.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get a power source that's quieter than a gen.

Bought this at auction from sunbelt, used. Has a 24v battery bank and 1200 watts of solar. Buy a 4000watt 24v inverter and you have noiseless system that can power nearly everything in your home for a few days at a time.

Upgrading the panels wouldn't be very expensive but you will notice a used trailer like this will have a dated bank of batteries. They can be replaced by a handy fella. But that's gonna be a pretty sizeable cost depending on how you go.

Some of these trailers came with a wind turbine. If yours doesn't I dont see the difficulties in retrofitting one.

I purchased mine for around $2k and another $550 for an inverter. Cheaper and more autonomous than a generator.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For lead acid battery chemistry (like AGM), divide the Ah capacity of the batt bank by 2 for a usable capacity that won’t kill the lifespan of the batteries. LiFePO4 batteries get you closer to 100% rated capacity. It’s recommended to size the PV array to recharge the anticipated daily usage in 5-6 hrs.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Used to run a portable gas generator for years but within the past couple of years due to some debilitating health issues we decided to invest in a whole house Generac 18kw generator this year that runs off of natual gas. It's all set up to start and run automatically during an outage day or night and since it runs off of NG there is no need for storing and refueling with pump gas.

The generator has some weight to it and is located on the side of the house visible to the neighbor. It is hooked up with all the wiring and NG piping and bolted down to a concrete slab so I'm not too concerned about any undesirables absconding with it without some considerable effort.

All told with the cost of the generator, transfer switch, wiring, NG piping, permit and installation it came to a total of about $9500. It's a considerable investment but nothing I would consider to be out of line with other investments. It was worth it for having the peace of mind and not having to deal with everything involved with the old gas portable generator.

Last edited:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For your perusal.

Now a fella 'could' get some of these pieces as he saw the financial means and ability. The battery rack systems are coming down in price and they're competitive with gen sets.

With a battery system like this, alone, minus the solar panels you could get by several days without the grid coming back online and there's no gen in the yard. My thoughts are that placing the batteries and the LV6548 you could even use battery power during the day when the price of electricity is more expensive and charge the batteries at night when power is at a lower price and while you were sleeping, not running a majority of appliances.

Adding solar and a 1500 watt wind turbine (or 2) and I'm sure you could see a significant difference in what you're currently paying your power company.

If you haven't seen any of Mr Prose's videos take a little time and give him some time. Decent education in solar and ESS.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    For your perusal.

Now a fella 'could' get some of these pieces as he saw the financial means and ability. The battery rack systems are coming down in price and they're competitive with gen sets.

With a battery system like this, alone, minus the solar panels you could get by several days without the grid coming back online and there's no gen in the yard. My thoughts are that placing the batteries and the LV6548 you could even use battery power during the day when the price of electricity is more expensive and charge the batteries at night when power is at a lower price and while you were sleeping, not running a majority of appliances.

Adding solar and a 1500 watt wind turbine (or 2) and I'm sure you could see a significant difference in what you're currently paying your power company.

If you haven't seen any of Mr Prose's videos take a little time and give him some time. Decent education in solar and ESS.

Or use it in conjunction with a generator, size the generator to maximum recharge rate of the batteries at most fuel efficient run rpm. Run the gen for a few hours every day. I'm thinking something like this for when I rewire my garage, the drop is set up to run a 100 amp second line. And since my house was running on a 100 amp breaker box before it was completely rewired, and my appliances are for the most part more energy efficient than they were... I'm thinking a battery bank and a generator in the garage. I've already got a NG line ran to the garage.

Anyone see any problems with this? Seriously, if you see any flaws please point them out. I wouldn't mind adding solar and/or wind turbine but solar is out until I get at least one tree removed. And that's going to cost probably at least as much as the solar panels.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Or use it in conjunction with a generator, size the generator to maximum recharge rate of the batteries at most fuel efficient run rpm. Run the gen for a few hours every day. I'm thinking something like this for when I rewire my garage, the drop is set up to run a 100 amp second line. And since my house was running on a 100 amp breaker box before it was completely rewired, and my appliances are for the most part more energy efficient than they were... I'm thinking a battery bank and a generator in the garage. I've already got a NG line ran to the garage.

Anyone see any problems with this? Seriously, if you see any flaws please point them out. I wouldn't mind adding solar and/or wind turbine but solar is out until I get at least one tree removed. And that's going to cost probably at least as much as the solar panels.
    Not sure how it would work but I think it's an interesting concept.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not sure how it would work but I think it's an interesting concept.
    I'm thinking similar to a solar battery bank set up. But instead of solar use a generator. Less start up and peak usage of the generator, and able to run it more efficiently. Whether that would be cost effective over straight generator use compared to the added cost of the batteries and associated cost is a good part of the question. ETA especially when considering an inverter generator sized to run the house, a good portion of my appliances/hvac/etc would be let's say not so friendly with a standard generator.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Have any of you guys touting solar actually used it to power your house for an extended power outage?
    From a quick look, I only see one person touting solar. And they are a banned member. But there is at least one member of this forum who uses solar for the majority of their electrical needs and isn't hooked up to the grid.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Have any of you guys touting solar actually used it to power your house for an extended power outage?
    Or at least broken even on your investment in solar?
    From a quick look, I only see one person touting solar. And they are a banned member. But there is at least one member of this forum who uses solar for the majority of their electrical needs and isn't hooked up to the grid.

1. Yes.

2. I never went into it with the expectation to break even on my investment. I was looking to solve a problem.

3. You know I have a cabin in the woods that runs on solar, right? No connection to commercial electric utility.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    2. I never went into it with the expectation to break even on my investment. I was looking to solve a problem.
    What problem were you looking to resolve? Are you off grid? If so then I understand.

I'd like to hear from people who are on-grid using solar to supplement their power needs or who dropped their grid connection and switched to solar or wind.

I have a full house generator for power outages currently. Looking at a windmill or PV cells, but simply to reduce electric bills. Not sure that they can pay for themselves, which would be important for me.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What problem were you looking to resolve? Are you off grid? If so then I understand.
    Yes, it is totally off grid.

Primary energy source is battery fed 2200 watt inverter. Batteries are charged by 800 watt PV array and a small wind generator. The system has a connector for a generator (which you've all seen numerous pics of). All the appliances are High Efficiency low draw 120VA (including the mini-split air conditioner). All the lighting is LED.

It's entirely doable - running off Solar. You have to size the PV accordingly.

Last edited:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm thinking similar to a solar battery bank set up. But instead of solar use a generator. Less start up and peak usage of the generator, and able to run it more efficiently. Whether that would be cost effective over straight generator use compared to the added cost of the batteries and associated cost is a good part of the question. ETA especially when considering an inverter generator sized to run the house, a good portion of my appliances/hvac/etc would be let's say not so friendly with a standard generator.

Top Bottom