• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Not to thread-jack but can you mention the brand of minisplit and how it has worked for you?
    Sure. I did a lot of research on these. As with many products these days, I think there are two or three factories producing all the brands you see on the market. I chose this one because it wasn't Mitsubishi stupid expensive, would run on a 120V 20A circuit, it has a heater rated for very cold weather (approaching zero) and for the very high SEER rating. I am running it in a space that is larger than it is rated for and I am pretty pleased with its performance.

2019-10-07i.jpg

2019-10-07e.jpg

Last edited:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    20220512_092215.jpg 20220512_092140.jpg
    Once upon a time Sunvelt rentals had these portable light towers. Now after several years the batter bank needs to be replaced (16 6v batteries) and these towers have served their purpose for sunbelt.

Theyre 24v and have 1200 watts of solar panels. They do have a charger mounted inside and could be charged that way but that's no fun.

Add a giandel pure sine wave 4000watt inverter and you can run a 5000btu window unit ac for free in your kitchen during the hottest part of the day. A fella could add a small wind turbine to the light mast were he so inclined.... and potentially generate juice during the night.

It isn't what I would call man portable with a 150lbs tongue weight but for $2000 at auction it is a very nice item to have around.

See richie bros auctions

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yes, it is totally off grid.

Primary energy source is battery fed 2200 watt inverter. Batteries are charged by 800 watt PV array and a small wind generator. The system has a connector for a generator (which you've all seen numerous pics of). All the appliances are High Efficiency low draw 120VA (including the mini-split air conditioner). All the lighting is LED.

It's entirely doable - running off Solar. You have to size the PV accordingly.

That sounds like a nice setup. Does the AC run long enough to get through the night?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure. I did a lot of research on these. As with many products these days, I think there are two or three factories producing all the brands you see on the market. I chose this one because it wasn't Mitsubishi stupid expensive, would run on a 120V 20A circuit, it has a heater rated for very cold weather (approaching zero) and for the very high SEER rating. I am running it in a space that is larger than it is rated for and I am pretty pleased with its performance.

View attachment 197509

View attachment 197510
    Thats looks awfully familiar to me....:):

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That sounds like a nice setup. Does the AC run long enough to get through the night?
    I researched and picked out the system. The mouse installed it for me. :cool:

It is remarkably effective at cooling the building down to a comfortable temp (somewhere in the middle 70s) and just as importantly remove all the humidity. So, it doesn't run for very long and the cabin is hybrid insulated with spray foam & fiberglass batting so it does a pretty good job of retaining the temp. So I'm not really hitting the battery bank hard overnight. We are planning a long weekend in July and I intend to fully cycle the system.

We are hoping to drill a well yet this year and I was looking at how that would impact the power system. You can buy a 10 GPM submersible pump that will run on a 120V 20A 2 wire circuit, but with startup surge that won't really leave much for any other appliances or lights on a 2200 watt inverter. So, the manufacturer of my inverter (Samlex) makes a 3000 and 4000 watt model in the exact same chassis, making a retrofit simple, except I'd have to add 2 batteries and wire for 24V with the 4000 watt model. A pretty expensive upgrade for about double the power. But I wouldn't mind having the extra juice.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I researched and picked out the system. The mouse installed it for me. :cool:

It is remarkably effective at cooling the building down to a comfortable temp (somewhere in the middle 70s) and just as importantly remove all the humidity. So, it doesn't run for very long and the cabin is hybrid insulated with spray foam & fiberglass batting so it does a pretty good job of retaining the temp. So I'm not really hitting the battery bank hard overnight. We are planning a long weekend in July and I intend to fully cycle the system.

We are hoping to drill a well yet this year and I was looking at how that would impact the power system. You can buy a 10 GPM submersible pump that will run on a 120V 20A 2 wire circuit, but with startup surge that won't really leave much for any other appliances or lights on a 2200 watt inverter. So, the manufacturer of my inverter (Samlex) makes a 3000 and 4000 watt model in the exact same chassis, making a retrofit simple, except I'd have to add 2 batteries and wire for 24V with the 4000 watt model. A pretty expensive upgrade for about double the power. But I wouldn't mind having the extra juice.

Mouse certainly is a man with good skills. No county water in your area?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Mouse certainly is a man with good skills. No county water in your area?
    We have water flowing through the property for all but the driest times of the year. In 2020 we tried our hand at a shallow well but had no luck at 15'. It has sat ever since and I hope to revisit that project in July. After sitting, I am hopeful it will now produce, or I have one more 5' section of pipe that I can drive.
    021.jpg
    022.jpg 023.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We have karst water on our ground but also have county water on the road so we use that. The gardener collects rainwater all the time for her plants rather than making a trip to the woods for karst water.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    NIPSCO is part of MISO. Lets see, close your coal fired plants after spending 1,000,000,000 for pollution control and getting the cost into the rate increase then lack capacity. But we are getting a solar farm that will destroy a large part of the nature preserve. That’s liberal progress.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a ways out, but there's a trail back there from long ago, sign that people have been using it for more than 100 years.. Too far to pipe though. karst spring.jpg

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Top Bottom