• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes. See post #1834.
    That is not a new tax, it is the current tax updated to the current price. I would rather the tax be per gallon not on the price but it is what it is. It is disingenuous to call it a tax increase. If you look at a car that is $20,000 but buy a truck that us $50,000 and the tax is 7% did they increase your taxes on the truck?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That is not a new tax, it is the current tax updated to the current price. I would rather the tax be per gallon not on the price but it is what it is. It is disingenuous to call it a tax increase. If you look at a car that is $20,000 but buy a truck that us $50,000 and the tax is 7% did they increase your taxes on the truck?
    It's actually both. There is a flat excise tax per gallon and an additional sales tax that varies depending on the statewide average. But I disagree that it's disingenuous to call it a tax increase, the amount of tax paid per gallon has increased, regardless of how much the gas actually costs.

To use your vehicle analogy, you buy that truck for $40k, the state says the average price is $50k. So you have to pay taxes based on the $50k price.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's actually both. There is a flat excise tax per gallon and an additional sales tax that varies depending on the statewide average. But I disagree that it's disingenuous to call it a tax increase, the amount of tax paid per gallon has increased, regardless of how much the gas actually costs.

To use your vehicle analogy, you buy that truck for $40k, the state says the average price is $50k. So you have to pay taxes based on the $50k price.
    At the end of the day there was no tax increase, just an update reflective of the price. My post was in response to those posting as if the legislature raised the tax…

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, when you say there was a tax increase my first thought is that the law changed, causing the increase, unless you explain what you mean. Nothing untoward about it if you didn’t mean to deceive anyone. But if it’s not because a change in law causing the increase, I think people would most naturally wonder who they need to kick in the balls for hiking taxes.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    1672693101234.png
    SPR is in a nose dive since the Democrats took over. This is probably the reason fuel prices are dropping. Once they drain it they will most likely shoot up higher than anytime in our history.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    View attachment 245686
    SPR is in a nose dive since the Democrats took over. This is probably the reason fuel prices are dropping. Once they drain it they will most likely shoot up higher than anytime in our history.
    Already seeing predictions of $4 by May and soaring into the summer driving season from there.

The SPR tap turning off is going to be the go signal for the biggest oil rally in human history. Now that they're safely on the other side of the midterms, buckle up.

Top Bottom