• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Threw the seeds from the last Sweet Meat winter squash, (ate a month ago,) under a pile of compost in the center of the just harvested garlic/onion bed. Pretty quick and solid germination with today's rain. We'll see how the growing goes...

20240709_165840.jpg

Looks like a volunteer melon or cuke plant? It's not hurting anything for now. We can watch to see if it's desirable?

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Threw the seeds from the last Sweet Meat winter squash, (ate a month ago,) under a pile of compost in the center of the garlic/onion bed. Pretty quick and solid germination with today's rain. We'll see how the growing goes...

View attachment 364934
    Your guna be overwhelmed with lots of squash. Guess you'll be eating it till this time next year..lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Your guna be overwhelmed with lots of squash. Guess you'll be eating it till this time next year..lol

That's the idea. :)

I have a lot of winter squash in the main garden also, but last year the main garden squash mostly failed to bugs, disease and my bad timing.

This "afterthought" bed has produced wheelbarrows of squash the last couple years. This year, only planting the Sweet Meat. Years prior were a mix.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    That's the idea. :)

I have a lot of winter squash in the main garden also, but last year the main garden squash mostly failed to bugs, disease and my bad timing.

This "afterthought" bed has produced wheelbarrows of squash the last couple years. This year, only planting the Sweet Meat. Years prior were a mix.
    I put alot of broccoli seeds in july 2 and seen i had a few popping up earlier today. Just hope the plants mature before the frost this year. Frost took out broccoli and letus last fall.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I put alot of broccoli seeds in july 2 and seen i had a few popping up earlier today. Just hope the plants mature before the frost this year. Frost took out broccoli and letus last fall.

Sometimes brocolli will survive a decent freeze, sometimes not. I have posted pics in one year's garden thread of eating fresh cut brocolli on Jan 1 of the next year. Also had it killed off from lesser freezes early.

Always a risk. But no risk means no harvest for sure.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Threw the seeds from the last Sweet Meat winter squash, (ate a month ago,) under a pile of compost in the center of the just harvested garlic/onion bed. Pretty quick and solid germination with today's rain. We'll see how the growing goes...

View attachment 364934

Looks like a volunteer melon or cuke plant? It's not hurting anything for now. We can watch to see if it's desirable?
    I planted some free be’s from the compost area. The squash seemed to be half pattypan white and half something else. (We ate three and pulled those) I have a few cukes for free coming just about to fruit. What I am hoping is a watermelon and one that appears to be cantaloup. Who knows what you get from these free plants.

Top Bottom