• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Put most of the garden to bed yesterday. Still have Brussels sprouts and kale out, but they can handle it. Brought in beans, rhubarb, and the rest of the tomatoes. Hope the frost killed the okra.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    ^
    Me too!
    I had to pick the rest of the tabasco peppers. Hundreds while my face froze.

The plastic gloves did help with the cold fingers!

Now the garden sits and looks like piles of spinach.

The temp are supposed to rise and in good time, I gotta get this garden cleaned and these darn leaves mowed up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ^
    Me too!
    I had to pick the rest of the tabasco peppers. Hundreds while my face froze.

The plastic gloves did help with the cold fingers!

Now the garden sits and looks like piles of spinach.

The temp are supposed to rise and in good time, I gotta get this garden cleaned and these darn leaves mowed up.

Yes, cooked spinach.

That said, I have collard greens, Swiss chard, buching onions and diacon radishes that look like they will survive the last couple nights freezes?

The back porch strawberry greenstalk experiment looks like the strawberry plants survived well, but the berries didn't care for the freeze...

20231031_205501.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I still have sweet potatoes and carrots in the ground. I plan to leave them there until closer to Thanksgiving, so my wife can fix them.

I planted my garlic cloves a few weeks ago, earliest I've ever done it, and for the first time I've got sprouts before freeze-up.

Also, I have lots of Horseradish to dig a bit later too. I haven't canned any for a few years, and I'm pretty sure I still have the recipe that Bwframe gave me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener was picking more yellow raspberries this evening, hard to believe that these plants are still producing. The reds quit with the frost.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not great at keeping records. If I can remember to get my head out of my arse though and get out my phone, pictures are dated. Amazon notifies me every day of "this day in years past."

Couple spinach beds scratched in a little bit ago. We'll see how the timing goes...

20231108_164349.jpg
    20231108_164416.jpg
    20231108_165320.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm not great at keeping records. If I can remember to get my head out of my arse though and get out my phone, pictures are dated. Amazon notifies me every day of "this day in years past."

Couple spinach beds scratched in a little bit ago. We'll see how the timing goes...

View attachment 310693
    View attachment 310694
    View attachment 310695
    I've never tried to plant Spinach in the fall, I'll have to try that. I did that with parsnips once and it worked really well.

Top Bottom