• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What kind of yield do you get with the potatos in buckets? The gardener is looking at growing these in some kind of container, I'm looking at tires as I have a lot to get rid of and it's costly.
    No idea yet...first year trying it. My guess is it will be limited and/or very small potatoes. But the famdamily was enthralled with the idea after seeing it on YooToob :ugh:.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Anybody else having terrible germination on green beans this year? I normally get all my seeds from Cox's plant farm in Clayton, but this year I must have got a bad batch. Just barely over 10% in inside starts, and even worse outdoors. Think I will buy some old standby Blue Lakes and just re-plant.
    Outside if the ground gets a real hard crust on it they can have a hard time poking thru to the light. A till/replant solves this often. Beans I have never had any trouble from seeds. weird. teh. Again we normally always used blue lakes.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last year I built 6x4 by 3ft boxes on top of straw bales and then filled the boxes with dirt. The old lady loves it since I built a few poles over it so they could be covered with deer mesh.

I gotta figure a way to keep the coons out tho. They've been the bane of my existence and I dispatched 7 or so. Somehow they keep showing up and screwing up her asparagus.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Last year I built 6x4 by 3ft boxes on top of straw bales and then filled the boxes with dirt. The old lady loves it since I built a few poles over it so they could be covered with deer mesh.

I gotta figure a way to keep the coons out tho. They've been the bane of my existence and I dispatched 7 or so. Somehow they keep showing up and screwing up her asparagus.
    I've resorted to electric wire around d the garden about 4 to 5 inches above ground...keeps the coons, rabbits and cats out

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Rabbits last night ate the tops off 6 tomato’s plants. Deer would have left prints. Bad thing is these were to be pruned to one stem. I will give them a few days to see if they come back but looks like I might have to buy some plants.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Voles eating our larger-seeded plant starts (melons, squash) from the bottom underground. We have vole traps out but they are not interested. I imagine they already got all the corn and bean seeds.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Rabbits last night ate the tops off 6 tomato’s plants. Deer would have left prints. Bad thing is these were to be pruned to one stem. I will give them a few days to see if they come back but looks like I might have to buy some plants.
    2 of the last 3 nights for me. Beans, Cabbage and broccoli. Need my dogs to sleep outside but wife thinks they need to be in.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They topped the strawberries last night but I see deer tracks. They area around the tomatoes was loose tilled dirt no tracks. So rabbits or a night groundhog? Never seen one at night.

I think I have a multi species egress. So I broke out electric cables a motion detector and a light I believes came from an airport runway And a boom box from 1990. If it quits raining the deer and rabbits will at least listen to “high voltage” from ac dc and get a suntan with dinner.

the 20 gauge single shot with some 1960’s paper shells got pulled out. They go off about 50/50 so I am going to give Them a chance. Rabbit can have nasty stuff out of season so they will get buried. In season they would be food.

WHEN I HEAR ACDC I GRAB THE SUNGLASSES AND THE 20. Gauge and head outside. That is the plan

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Voles eating our larger-seeded plant starts (melons, squash) from the bottom underground. We have vole traps out but they are not interested. I imagine they already got all the corn and bean seeds.
    They are tough to control without good feral cats that earn their keep. I had a brittany that would point them for me. but she is long gone.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    View attachment 202641
    my electric wire, 4 to 6 inches above the ground. View attachment 202642
    Love the use of the older Plano tackle box as a water resistant junction box.

i bought the largest mailbox I had ever seen at a garage sale and put it on a post in the garden and it stores my pruning sheers garden gloves trowel and other items I always keep them there.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    2 of the last 3 nights for me. Beans, Cabbage and broccoli. Need my dogs to sleep outside but wife thinks they need to be in.
    Lately we have a lot of foxes attempt trespassing. So we let 2 of the LGD’s up front to run the fence line at night , it has done wonders for keeping things out of the garden.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Woke up to ac/dc blasting at 3:30 am and the light was on. (Read the previous post).

Grabbed the 20 gauge and investigated.
    Seems that the deer were detected and deterred from eating the plants and a doe with two fawns were in the back field watching me in the garden. They quickly walk off and the timer dropped while I was out. That is the good news.

Now for the bad. The tops of the second strawberry bed was eaten. No strawberries themselves but the plant tops. I don’t think my motion sensor goes off for rabbit sized animals. The dirt around the raised beds is tilled soft and even the fawn tracks would show.

The tomatoes that were eaten to the ground have recovered. Seem to be growing fine so I do not have to replant them just lost so grow time. The pepper plants I put wire tomato cages Around and either the rabbit and deer don’t like them (like my onions)

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    We got an earlier start this year. The recent rain and warm temps have really helped. The cardboard no till ground section I set up last fall seems to be working out so far. View attachment 200520 View attachment 200521
    Three weeks today since the last garden post. Only 3rd year on this raised garden setup, first year on the no-till ground portion. Enjoying seeing the progress and learning. Just picked pint and a half off the third season gooseberry plants. May have cherry tomatos in a week. All the plants seem to be starting out well.

Also have some raccoon problems. Mole bait brought a couple in so I'm not using that anymore. I usually have more .22 and trapping success with the raccoons, chipmunks and moles. Have kept the aim sharp with the pesky baby chipmunks. I enjoy seeing the garden pictures and going out to ours each day.

PXL_20220605_132151405.jpg
    PXL_20220605_125414221.jpg ,

Top Bottom