• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My son has over 50 rabbits , get all my manure from him ............You can apply it to your plants or soil at anytime without fear of burning or over fertilizing , I use it on almost all my plants and fruit trees .

Here are a few facts about rabbit manure:

• Rabbit manure has four times more nutrients than cow or horse manure and is twice as rich as chicken manure. Cow, horse and chicken manure are considered “hot” and need to be composted (well-rotted) to use as fertilizers.
    • One of the best things about rabbit manure is it doesn’t need to be composted.
    • Rabbit manure is organic matter and improves poor soil structure, drainage and moisture retention.
    • It improves the life cycle of microorganisms in the soil.
    • Worms love rabbit manure.
    • It is not as smelly as other manures and is easy to handle.
    • One doe and her offspring can produce a ton of manure in one year. That’s a lot of bunny honey.
    • Rabbit manure is packed with nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, minerals and micronutrients.
    • It contains beneficial trace elements such as calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, manganese, sulfur, copper and cobalt, just to name a few.
    • Nitrogen (N). Rabbit manure is higher in nitrogen than sheep, goat, chicken, cow or horse manure. Plants need nitrogen to produce strong green growth.
    • Phosphorus (P). Rabbit manure is also higher in phosphorus than the other manures. It helps with the transformation of solar energy to chemical energy. Phosphorus also helps plants to withstand stress and contributes to more and bigger blossoms, and is great for root growth.
    • Potassium (K). Potassium helps with fruit quality and reducing disease; plants will not grow without it.
    Well we do see quite a few rabbits across our place, problem is they do not stay long.

Not being sarcastic but how does one collect rabbit manure? Perhaps they have open bottoms on their housing and it falls beneath?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well we do see quite a few rabbits across our place, problem is they do not stay long.

Not being sarcastic but how does one collect rabbit manure? Perhaps they have open bottoms on their housing and it falls beneath?
    My buddy has rabbits so we always use that manure as well. There is a slide out pan beneath the metal cages he has. Manure falls through onto the pan, pull out pan dump in wheelbarrow.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Worked all day. Was perfect tilling weather.
    got home and before I could grab a sandwich and drink thunder and then rain.
    just enough to stop the tiller for the day. I am hoping the wind stays steady. I need to get this done this weekend.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    ok at 1k for fertilizer anyone trying to make due with out it and find an alternative?

Our goat pen will make enough for our usual spot, but this year we are planning on an additional two acres.

We are going to till areas that in the past do not get a lot of leaves, brush debris etc. I have a cattle farmer friend that is more than happy to bring a few dump truck loads over. So I am wondering how much I would need to cut it to get the right mix? I am perhaps thinking of spreading it in rows tilling it and repeating?

Thoughts?
    With the cow manure, it doesn't take much. I can't equate dump trucks to acres to give you the math on how many it will take, but it's low in N, so you don't have to worry about it burning anything. I wouldn't windrow it. I'd start with on truckload and try to spread it thin and evenly, without covering the ground completely, then till it in. Any leftover manure from this truckload or the next can go into a pile and compost. Make sure that pile is downwind from the house though. It smells better than hog manure, but it still smells.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last weekend I cleaned up all but one of the raised beds. I just need to add some fresh dirt and they'll be ready.

I haven't started seeds or done anything early this year. I'll be direct sowing this year.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm a bit tired of having to wear a coat in May. :crying:

Guess I should be careful, what I wish for...

20220504_131102.jpg

The heat looks to hit hard, when it comes. It will make for a lot of work, all at the same time, with soil warming quickly...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Purchased 2 high bush blueberries two red raspberry and two red grapes. (Well I say I purchased the wife pulled the trigger. )

They are one the front porch and should be in the ground before next weekend.

Heck I might just go buy two more of each.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :lol2:

I didn't see the slug eating that strawberry until I looked at the pic posted above.

The berry already had what I thought was bird damage. Maybe not?

Headed out there in the dark with the Sluggo Plus now...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For all of you seasoned Gardeners out there. So our main food plot has had years of organic material, soiled hay from the Goat barn, compost and wood mulch that gets turned in each year.

This year we are adding 3 runways in front of the House they will be about 3 feet by 250 in length. Our Fruit trees, blackberries do fine out there but it’s never been used for veggies before.

So I am wondering if for the first year if I should turn in some lime then put compost around each plant of till it all in?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I moved my raised garden 3'. Its obvious what is old garden and what was lawn. The "garden" lettuce is 4" tall. The "yard" lettuce in the same row is only 1" tall. I picked up some fertilizer to spread along that new zone tonight. hope it helps.
    I really need to pony up the cash to have a couple yards of 50/50 (topsoil/composted manure) delivered to overtop the existing garden and enhance things.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Onions bell peppers tomatoes in.
    Raspberry plants (rad Latham) in.
    New seedless grapes in.
    Blueberry high bush in.
    Asparagus in.
    The above three are years away from harvest.
    New raised beds made and filled with compost.

Top Bottom