• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We are overrun with grape/cherry tomatoes. I can't stand the nasty things. Got 15 dozen ears of corn from a local farmer to put up this weekend. Not enough Roma tomatoes picked yet to make sauce but should be soon. Zucchini, yellow squash, and various peppers are producing well.

Freeze those cherries whole and run them through the vitamix to stretch your sauce (also sweeten it.) No waist.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    First year for my redhaven peaches. Seriously have me concerned about how they're loaded down.

I'm going to carefully brace some of the branches today, but they could be getting near ripe anyhow.

Anyone here have any experience with peaches this year in central Indiana?
    My neighbor has lost half his pear tree..he tried to support the one hanging branch with an abundance. of fruit....now I have next years fruit wood for the smokehouse

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Is your okra whimpfrey? :cool:
    My thoughts on okra broccoli and cabbage in middle Indiana. Fall crop them. Right now is perfect time to plant them. I find if planted with my may Memorial Day from start of Indy racing they get flowering when we get that heat early. With a fall crop on above the young plants love the heat and sun. Then when it fruits it is cooler. Less cabbage moths. Does not go to flower early on broccoli and I get orka but it is not my favorite dish. Not a big okra eater but wife likes it.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    about half of my romas sprouted a round tomato, i don't think they are just romas that are round either. either way, first batch i canned 30 quarts of tomato sauce, 30 quarts of tomato juice. probably another 30-50 quarts worth with whats still on the plants. cucumbers were ridiculous this year, i can't seem to get away from them. this was my first year of trying to can instead of freeze sweet corn, managed to not carmelize it so i hope it cooked all the way. like most here, freezer space is limited. the wife wasn't too keen on my canning it, she's set in her ways. the onions, well, they got lost in the overgrown section of the garden. and to my surprise, i had volunteer canteloup. Thai chilis are doing well, i manage to get $10-$12 a gallon for those. and those are what stocks the safe's.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    about half of my romas sprouted a round tomato, i don't think they are just romas that are round either. either way, first batch i canned 30 quarts of tomato sauce, 30 quarts of tomato juice. probably another 30-50 quarts worth with whats still on the plants. cucumbers were ridiculous this year, i can't seem to get away from them. this was my first year of trying to can instead of freeze sweet corn, managed to not carmelize it so i hope it cooked all the way. like most here, freezer space is limited. the wife wasn't too keen on my canning it, she's set in her ways. the onions, well, they got lost in the overgrown section of the garden. and to my surprise, i had volunteer canteloup. Thai chilis are doing well, i manage to get $10-$12 a gallon for those. and those are what stocks the safe's.
    I think where we get our sets the people move the tags to get what they want buying, it’s about a crap shoot to get the correct plants there anymore. We’ve been planting a lot of heirloom from my FIL. We buy Rutgers for sets. Don’t even make juice anymore just can the maters, for juice run a whisk blender up and down a few times= juice. Best Bloody Mary there is. A drink and a meal all in one. Chili, spaghetti sauce, simple. Great base for veggie soup.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I think where we get our sets the people move the tags to get what they want buying, it’s about a crap shoot to get the correct plants there anymore. We’ve been planting a lot of heirloom from my FIL. We buy Rutgers for sets. Don’t even make juice anymore just can the maters, for juice run a whisk blender up and down a few times= juice. Best Bloody Mary there is. A drink and a meal all in one. Chili, spaghetti sauce, simple. Great base for veggie soup.
    i grew these roma's from seed because i loved how they were the first year. got them from the wife's aunt, who has been growing them for years. a few didn't take when i moved them to the garden, so some other variety from the local Amish were bought and planted among the romas. either way, 10 hours of cooking down sauce has about done me in with tomatoes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Are your round Romas to your liking? You likely had cross pollination and unknowingly have created a new strain. If you like them,and they do well save some of the seeds. You just created a new type of tomato. This is how many of the species we grow started,most heirloom types can be traced back to this type of event. The Brood Roma could be a thing :)

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Are your round Romas to your liking? You likely had cross pollination and unknowingly have created a new strain. If you like them,and they do well save some of the seeds. You just created a new type of tomato. This is how many of the species we grow started,most heirloom types can be traced back to this type of event. The Brood Roma could be a thing :)
    I'll have to see how they taste. So far with the amount of prep and canning time, I haven't thought to try one. Just put up another 30 quarts of juice this weekend. Have more close to being ready to pick soon. Not a bad haul for 12 plants. Tried one of the pint's of sweet corn that i canned, Could not tell a difference in taste between freezing it or pressure canning it. Looks like i'll be able to free up freezer space going forward with corn now.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll have to see how they taste. So far with the amount of prep and canning time, I haven't thought to try one. Just put up another 30 quarts of juice this weekend. Have more close to being ready to pick soon. Not a bad haul for 12 plants. Tried one of the pint's of sweet corn that i canned, Could not tell a difference in taste between freezing it or pressure canning it. Looks like i'll be able to free up freezer space going forward with corn now.
    I think canned corn is better than freezer corn(no freezer burn ever),and still just as crunchy. Peas are a different story. Canning them they will never be as firm as frozen.

If they are good Brood Roma's I will volunteer to grow some next year. The idea of a round Roma that has a larger mass than the standard roma,but with most the qualities of a roma sounds good to me. :)

Last edited:

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    My peppers have done well this year. Last year they did not do very well. Tomatoes struggled during the hot early summer. One died. Now I have an abundance of cherry tomatoes when they eventually turn green. Strawberries did well the first two years and kept coming back after winter. Cucumbers did well this year after I fixed the overwatering issue from my sprinklers. I had a white mold issue killing then this year. Tried baking soda, neem oil and castille soap. Didn’t fully eradicate the mold so I went to potassium bicarbonate. Seems to have worked. I had to throw away over a dozen super fat yellow cucumbers that got overwatered. Next year the strawberries are going bye bye and doing the full 5 x 8 raised be with cucumbers and zucchini. I tried the trellis method for the cucumbers but many went underneath and died from no sun. Luckily I’ve been collecting compost and have started amending the soil with it at the beginning. I once used the yellow bag of compost from lowes. Now over $5 each, lowes sold out of over 400 bags early. Insane. Your own compost bin is such a money saver.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I think canned corn is better than freezer corn(no freezer burn ever),and still just as crunchy. Peas are a different story. Canning them they will never be as firm as frozen.

If they are good Brood Roma's I will volunteer to grow some next year. The idea of a round Roma that has a larger mass than the standard roma,but with most the qualities of a roma sounds good to me. :)
    I found by adding a water,sugar, and salt mixture to the bags of corn I don’t get freezer burn. 2 cups of corn off the cob, 1/2 cup of water mix. Flatten then freeze. Water mix is 6 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt. Warm until dissolved. Let cool before adding to bags.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I found by adding a water,sugar, and salt mixture to the bags of corn I don’t get freezer burn. 2 cups of corn off the cob, 1/2 cup of water mix. Flatten then freeze. Water mix is 6 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt. Warm until dissolved. Let cool before adding to bags.
    My grandmother always froze creamed corn.
    what she added to the corn ( mush?) half kernel half milky looking mass was water sugar and salt. Sounds familiar.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    No mush. Just water salt and sugar. I pull a frozen bag out and place it in a skillet that has 3 tablespoons of butter and green onions sautéed already. Cook for about 10 minutes or so until the liquid is near gone. Add a half cup of heavy cream with a pinch of salt and sugar, cook down until the heavy cream is gone by half. About 15 minutes. Serve.

Top Bottom