• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh now I understand, you mean you don't use them while growing. .
    Yes. I had thousands of what looked like white stinkbugs running around the ground under the cover of my dying tomato plants, as well as worms eating my Kale and leaving egg sacks behind. Didnt want that crap coming back in the spring.

So I cut and burned the kale, cut back the tomatoes and peppers, and sprayed the whole lot with bug killer.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Wow - how long does that keep for? It looks delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have jars from 2017 and before. The trees don't produce every year, so we make a lot when they do. Since we rotate old stock to the front it gets eaten first. We haven't had any go bad yet. Most of it is unsweetened, so it will usually need cinnamon sugar to be really good.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Looks like frost tonight up here. SWMBO will be bringing in what's left - mostly peppers (bleah), okra (yuk), and tomatoes. We will leave the brussels sprouts and kale and broccoli out for while longer. We often collect sprouts in the winter, and have had a few plants survive until the spring.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    We have jars from 2017 and before. The trees don't produce every year, so we make a lot when they do. Since we rotate old stock to the front it gets eaten first. We haven't had any go bad yet. Most of it is unsweetened, so it will usually need cinnamon sugar to be really good.

You can probably make some decent $$ selling at a farmers market or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We just harvested the last of our kale and wow we had a pile of it.

Next year I'm going to focus hard on squash because it seems like we can't screw that up and the deer leave it alone. I'd also like to get some melons growing, but I've never had much luck with watermelon or cantaloupe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just planted kale and spinach transplants last week. We will see whether they live at all or produce or survive through the winter? I have had all three make it through to get eaten on New Years day and early spring. Also had all killed off in November.

Never know, if you don't try. Any and every year is different and hides things that you cannot forecast or even see sometimes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I planted my garlic and some spinach. The spinach is always a crap shoot, sometimes it winters over and comes up early sometimes it doesn't. But if it does, I will have spinach almost a month earlier than with spring planted seed.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We just harvested the last of our kale and wow we had a pile of it.

Next year I'm going to focus hard on squash because it seems like we can't screw that up and the deer leave it alone. I'd also like to get some melons growing, but I've never had much luck with watermelon or cantaloupe.
    Just don't plant various melons and squash too near each other. We did and had some really bizarre results.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just don't plant various melons and squash too near each other. We did and had some really bizarre results.

I've been debating on what to do with some of the land where I want to plant. My soil is a sandy loam with next to no life in it other than the grass I've been mowing for years. I've got it narrow down to a few ideas:

1) I was thinking about renting a tractor with a tiller and really working up the soil, adding some mulch and garden soil in the spots and then weeding that area all summer long.

2) Take a shovel of soil out, plant in a started squash or melon with a shovel full of garden soil and just do spots spaced out evenly in rows.

3) Stake out a tarp and poke holes where I want the plants to grow, cover with mulch and then try that out.

Next year I want to produce a level of food on my land like I have never dreamed of before.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have been using garden fabric and poking holes lately. Otherwise our garden is overrun with weeds in short order. We usually don't put mulch on that, but just stake it down. Be sure your tarp allows water to pass through. Some of the weeds we eat (pigweed, wood sorrel, purslane).

Compost helps, and if you have a source of llama poop, it doesn't need composting - it can go right on the garden.

Deep tilling for a new garden area is a good idea.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This year I tried using landscaping weed barrier in one garden and the weed barrier let enough light through it that the weeds grew and eventually pushed up the whole weed barrier to the point it looked like a sheet with pillows under it. If I go through route again, it'll be with something that has to block out all the light. I was hoping the mulch on top would hold enough water it'd soak into the holes I'd poke through. I was planning on getting a big cheap tarp from Harbor Freight and using that.

I don't have access to Lama's, but I've got a steady supply of chick poo I need to figure out a place for.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This year I tried using landscaping weed barrier in one garden and the weed barrier let enough light through it that the weeds grew and eventually pushed up the whole weed barrier to the point it looked like a sheet with pillows under it. If I go through route again, it'll be with something that has to block out all the light. I was hoping the mulch on top would hold enough water it'd soak into the holes I'd poke through. I was planning on getting a big cheap tarp from Harbor Freight and using that.

I don't have access to Lama's, but I've got a steady supply of chick poo I need to figure out a place for.
    I have used plain cardboard to block out weeds. I would avoid the tarp.

Till the chicken poo in early in the spring and then again in the fall
    Rabbit manure can go on without composting as well

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I had some of the best sweet corn ever this year got it from e.bay Funks G peaches and cream.Price was around $20.00 a pound and it was will treated I swear every seed came up. 8 rows 35 feet long produced 15 gallon os sweet corn wife and I froze.

Top Bottom