• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The "kimchi" made with Armenian cucumbers is pretty darn good.
    Just got another batch of tomatoes processed so I'm going for peppers, yard longs and the Arme-cukes in another fermented brew up with whatever else strikes my fancy. Maybe some of the pears would work?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I cut some long beans that seemed to be too mature? Planning to let them dry all the way to save for next year's seeds.

Wonder if the dry long beans (peas?) could be cooked like store bought dry beans or peas?

20210919_142135.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Had a couple pumpkins go bad while curing. Chopped them into the compost and covered with invasive milk weed.

Hoping for a lot out of the compost next year.

20210919_124422.jpg

Attachments

• 20210919_125154.jpg
      20210919_125154.jpg
      5.1 MB · Views: 4

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The dreaded tomato horn worm. Only seen 1 this whole year. Was happy about that
    I didn't have any earlier in the year, where I normally grow tomatoes. I've found 4 or 5 now on my fall porch tomatoes.

I normally snip them with the pruners, but had to let the one above live to feed the wasps. It has not moved for a day, so I'm thinking they are hard at work eating him inside out.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Added a no till section the last two days to get settled in for next Spring. 25 bags ecoscraps compost, 20 bags cow manure, on top of cardboard...watched some YouTube videos.

Second year for this raised bed garden, added three 4x8 beds this Spring. Still learning a lot.

PXL_20210926_222432285.jpg PXL_20210926_222654093.jpg

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    We did a garden in 2020 with 3 smaller raised beds and store and bought plants. This year we had another baby in May and the 2021 garden never got started or so we thought.

The kids had been dumping compost in the garden beds, so we got a decent crop of cantaloupe, mini sweet peppers and yellow bell tomatoes. Then on a pile of dirt on the back corner of my property where the kids like to play there was a volunteer cherry tomato plant that is still producing. Single plant that has atleast 100 cherry tomatoes on it.

2022 we will be doing a lot more planning, but the volunteer garden was an awesome blessing this year.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Still have tomatoes ripening on the vine, and bell peppers blossoming. From the weather outlook, that’s going to end sooner rather than later. I’m going to let it play out and hope for the best.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We're still picking tomatoes and peppers. Also have yellow squash and zucchini plants that are still blossoming, but I'm not holding out any hope for them to make it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We've had a few strawberries from the garden as well, quite a treat in October.

This is the first time I've had everbearing strawberries. Berries past June is quite a difference than what I'm used to. I happy to report noticing a lot of new blossoms also in our recent rainy trend.

I notice that the fall berries here seem to be vulnerable to some sort of brown spotting and consequently quicker to start to rot. Wonder if that's just conditions here or if that is a normal fall berry thing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is the first time I've had everbearing strawberries. Berries past June is quite a difference than what I'm used to. I happy to report noticing a lot of new blossoms also in our recent rainy trend.

I notice that the fall berries here seem to be vulnerable to some sort of brown spotting and consequently quicker to start to rot. Wonder if that's just conditions here or if that is a normal fall berry thing?
    Im seeing several things in my garden coming back post-cooling. I cut out all my Kale and yanked the tomatoes and other things that were done so I could spray for multiple insect infestations so I didnt have to worry about them coming back in the spring. (we are totally organic, no pesticides) Two weeks later my kale was back like it was late May. Crazy.

Lots of things are coming back due to the weather change. A friend in Iowa had Lilacs blooming again. Crazy.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Im seeing several things in my garden coming back post-cooling. I cut out all my Kale and yanked the tomatoes and other things that were done so I could spray for multiple insect infestations so I didnt have to worry about them coming back in the spring. (we are totally organic, no pesticides) Two weeks later my kale was back like it was late May. Crazy.

Lots of things are coming back due to the weather change. A friend in Iowa had Lilacs blooming again. Crazy.
    I'm curious about about what you're spraying?

Top Bottom