• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah we picked up a few for a water gate and kid looks at us where is your trailer otherwise you can’t move them. Ah please pay close attention. he was literally dumbfounded.
    At least that kid learned something that day!

A few around here could use the help...

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Now i want an arch garden.. wtf. I don't even like squash. Maybe cukes for dill pickles. Wife has gotten a strawberry patch to take since last year. Have lots of raspberrys always. Hoping to do some tomatoes and jalepenos and green beans. Need more beans than last year for sure. not enough plants. Wife did watermelon last year but the GD rabbits chewed holes in them one by one as they got close to getting ripe. little bastards.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now i want an arch garden.. wtf. I don't even like squash. Maybe cukes for dill pickles. Wife has gotten a strawberry patch to take since last year. Have lots of raspberrys always. Hoping to do some tomatoes and jalepenos and green beans. Need more beans than last year for sure. not enough plants. Wife did watermelon last year but the GD rabbits chewed holes in them one by one as they got close to getting ripe. little bastards.
    IKR? I did cukes for the first time on the cattle panel last year and I'll never let them grow across the ground again. These look like its taking it to the next level.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Need to get in my peas and potatoes.
    peppers are up tomatoes are up and in the little light house.
    onions are up and ready to plant. Strawberries are in the fridge. Garlic is looking like a champ I wish I had planted more last year. No signs of life coming from the asparagus yet but I hope to see the first signs soon.

This is going to be a big spring with the garden fence on the agenda to keep the local deer and rabbit population at bay. Last year I was able to drive them away with and old jam box and a motion detector. Before august the TEd Nugent tape did not discourage them from eating away. They even munched on my ghost pepper plant.

looks like rain this week. My first planting area is covered and should be nice to work in. Lots of work to do but a month to get a good start.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Is this still the official 2023 gardern thread? I didn't see another and I know people have been planting in the last month. What have you done?

Some new items I am excited about this year. Planted Blackberries, Rhubarb, Horseradish and Japanese Cucumbers. Bought some Japanese cucumbers last year at the farmers market and they made great pickles. Also it's the third year for the gooseberries and looks like with two bushes it will be enough for a full pie this year. Last year it was half rhubarb and yummy. Been able to eat some nice lettuce and kale already.

Attachments

• GridArt_20230525_103545484.jpg
      GridArt_20230525_103545484.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 6

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Waiting on one of these so I know where I can plant everything.

Amazon product ASIN B0BMTS5BY6
    I'm going to plant cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, beans, several kinds of tomatoes and beets. Already harvesting radishes, lettuce, and watching my snow peas climb their trellis.

Should have it all in the ground by Sunday.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is this still the official 2023 gardern thread?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Getting rid of the garden this season....changing to raised beds 2' high.

So far, I like!

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Getting rid pf the garden this season....changing to raised beds 2' high.

So far, I like!
    Might not be far behind you. I put out 30 tomato plants , peppers, tomatillos in 5 gallon buckets with a hole in the center for the tap root and drainage holes in the side. They are twice the size of the ones planted in the ground.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Currently no deer in the garden. No rabbits yet either. This is unusual but the fire pit has been burning and I have the farm truck parked near the garden.
    I think the deer might be fawning currently and I did see two in the yard just now. (Two is down from the normal 9-12 from earlier this year)

Some years I seem to feed the deer well and some years the garden is for the family. This Memorial Day the gathering area is close to the garden because of the pollen from our pine trees. It is going to get real yellow with pollen this weekend where the picnic table is.

I will take some pictures this weekend and post here of the 2023 garden thread.

Top Bottom