• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    How does the sprocket attach to the hub/ other piece?

If it appears easy enough to weld on a new sprocket, I would try figuring out if a timing chain sprocket for something common like a small block chevy would work
    It is welded on the back after it passes through the larger gear. A Chevy timing sprocket is too large. However there is a promising lead further down.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    For the returns you might see in selling it just let it go. Or find someone that does small engine/equipment repair as a sideline and let them have it to see if they can use the parts.
    It is not worth much.
    Man you and I have clearly never met. I bought a 1972 Dodge Demon in 1994 that had every body panel on it except for the roof bent, not a little bent either. It was so bad my buddies nicknamed it the Thousand Dent Demon. I was told "I'm selling you the engine, trans and rearend. Do yourself a favor and find a new body"...... I still own that car and the vast majority of the bodywork is repaired.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I assume you know I was just guessing on pitch and just picked one to get you close on their site.
    Also, is that just an idler or does it drive and need to keyed on the inside?
    You actually only missed it by one, the one I think I need is below the one you picked. it does drive the tiller however it is not keyed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man you and I have clearly never met. I bought a 1972 Dodge Demon in 1994 that had every body panel on it except for the roof bent, not a little bent either. It was so bad my buddies nicknamed it the Thousand Dent Demon. I was told "I'm selling you the engine, trans and rearend. Do yourself a favor and find a new body"...... I still own that car and the vast majority of the bodywork is repaired.
    I see where you are my friend and I have lived on that path for a lifetime.
    But as time takes it’s toll on me I see the up and down to any potential projects as time becomes more valuable.

I would skin the sprocket off and find something close. There has to be something available to replace it. Just have to kick over the right parts pile and re-source some parts.
    Weld the replacement onto the other part. I have done that with final drive sprockets on street and dirt bikes to get some offset for a bigger rear tire and achieve a different final drive ratio. It works if you get it centered up properly and have some welding skills.

Edit…I see from back reading this has been sourced. Most cool.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man that's helpful. Also with Deere's reputation of having proprietary parts I'm out on their garbage.

My brother has a tractor that he can't use because Deere no longer makes a steering part, and won't let anyone else make it either.
    I'm skeptical. I've replaced the steering sector on my Deere tractor twice with aftermarket parts. What kind of tractor?

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Shear pins were replaced today with grade 2 bolts.

Skill, time patience.... are you asking if I can weld. Yeah I can weld, time well my job affords me two days off between each day worked, patience, I'm patient enough to get it close. I already have a new chain.
    Seems weird to me that if you have the ability to weld and profile them correctly you would ask if it was something you should do.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Depending on the age of this tiller, the part may be available from a different brand. Different companies made the Craftsman tillers, and had the same tiller available.

Husqvarna, Echo and some Korean brand that I can't think of are a few.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Depending on the age of this tiller, the part may be available from a different brand. Different companies made the Craftsman tillers, and had the same tiller available.

Husqvarna, Echo and some Korean brand that I can't think of are a few.
    The part is certainly not available. I've spent way to much time looking for a part that's not been made in two years. I yanked the engine off of it and scrapped the rest.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How did I miss this thread until today?

Not sure where you are on scrapping this? If still available, I might be interested in the handlebars. Model depending of course.

:ingo:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Sorry pal. The old tiller was scrapped. A Troy built pony took its place
    Good pick on the troy built. When my 3 year old grandson gets big enough to run mine, that was my grandfathers, well have a 5th generation tiller.

Now, since the tillers scrapped and unavailable, let’s move on to the brothers Deere that supposedly can’t be fixed…;)

Top Bottom