• ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hi patriots.

I need ammo for my garand. I am out of the M2 Greek Ball 30.06 sold by the CMP. It is my understanding that their stock is depleted. Is there any of this stuff still around? What are my options?

Can I use any 30.06 ammo of 150grain? Do I have to install a gas plug (Schuster)? How much expertise required to do this/

What is best bang for buck that is reliable? I'm lost.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    PPU makes Garand specific ammo, but at this time it is not easy to find.
    No, using just any 150 gr load is not a good idea without the vented gas plug.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Go to grand gear.com and research the results of using the ported gas plug. The site has done an extensive study of appropriate ammo for the m1 garand. Also do a search on the CMP Forum, you will find a lot info regarding ammo and using the Schuster gas plug. If you can get primers.....you could also reload your own ammo, just be careful with your powder selection H4895 IMR 4895 Varget IMR 4064 are all good. You can also try 110 grains bullets, to lessen recoil.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Go to grand gear.com and research the results of using the ported gas plug. The site has done an extensive study of appropriate ammo for the m1 garand. Also do a search on the CMP Forum, you will find a lot info regarding ammo and using the Schuster gas plug. If you can get primers.....you could also reload your own ammo, just be careful with your powder selection H4895 IMR 4895 Varget IMR 4064 are all good. You can also try 110 grains bullets, to lessen recoil.

The owner if that site is great. I purchased some parts from him and even had a long chat on the phone with him when I had a question. He'll hook you up if he can.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All 150 grain commercial ammo is safe to use in a M1 Garand. It is because they know it might be used in a Garand.

Besides, all of the powders that are efficient for 150 to 168 grain 30.06 are suitable for the Garand.

All powders for 180 grain and heavier are not suitable for the Garand. I have been around this block for over a half century. It is just not logical to use a slow burning powder intended for a 220 grain bullet with a 150 grain SP or FMJ bullet. It just is not done.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just inherited another Garand. That means I have 1/2 as much as I did! PPU is what I have stocked, but as it's been said, I need to find the $$ for more at this high priced time:spend:

Bob

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    How much pressure should Garand ammo be? SAAMI says max is 60,190. How much pressure was the M1 Garand made to handle?

It's not the peak, it's how much residual is still there when the bullet gets past the port (when pressure hits the operating system), which is a fraction of the peak. The long op-rod is the weak link. You can run a lower peak pressure with a slower burning powder and still over-pressure the gas system OR high enough pressure in a fast powder to be too much for the bolt but it's spent before getting to the gas system.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So if I was to reload 175gr SMK bullets for the Garand. What would be a safe load powder and primers wise. I definitely don't want to destroy this beautiful weapon.

Top Bottom