• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Anyone know a fix for a garage remote that stopped working?
    It's every bit of 10 years old but was working fine.
    I cleaned the terminals and changed the battery , it will open once Or close once and stop working.
    I had an led light near it but changed it back to a normal light bulb and that didn't matter.
    I'm stumped now, any ideas?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hmmm... if it didn't work at all, I'd say go through the remote programming again. Not a hard task to do, but not sure it will help if it does in fact work once.

Do you mean if you pull the battery out and put it back in, it will work once and then not again until you pull the battery again?

Do you have another remote? Does it work fine?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    New remotes are cheap. (unless you have a weird brand)

Try resetting the opener to erase all remotes and re add them.

For the ones Ive done, there is a button on the motor under one of the light covers, and there is typically instructions on how to reset and re-add.

For mine its hold the button until the light does something. (flash? turn on? :dunno: Its on the label)
    Then tap the button and the light will come on. Then you hold the button down on the remote until the light flashes and/or the motor starts.
    Repeat for each of your remotes.

And mine did the same thing. No range (wouldnt only work inside the garage, not 10' outside the door) only worked half the time, etc. Its been fine since I reset it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I would check the battery voltage. I check voltage of new batteries before I put them in.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Will the opener operate the door reliably using the manual button inside the garage (not using the remote)? Mine recently got unreliable with the remote but additionally was also unreliable using the manual button. Turned out the controller board in the 25 year old opener was dying. YMMV.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Will the opener operate the door reliably using the manual button inside the garage (not using the remote)? Mine recently got unreliable with the remote but additionally was also unreliable using the manual button. Turned out the controller board in the 25 year old opener was dying. YMMV.
    Yes the button on the wall works perfectly, just a pain to use it.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Some LED light bulbs are "dirty" and emit frequencies that interfere with garage door remotes. Have you replaced any bulbs near the garage recently? I went through a spell where my remote suddenly started working sporadically. I finally figured out that it only happened at night when my landscape lighting was on. Turned out to be the new LED light bulbs that had been recently installed in the outdoor lighting. I swapped out the bulb in the light nearest the garage with another brand and the problem was solved.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Some LED light bulbs are "dirty" and emit frequencies that interfere with garage door remotes. Have you replaced any bulbs near the garage recently? I went through a spell where my remote suddenly started working sporadically. I finally figured out that it only happened at night when my landscape lighting was on. Turned out to be the new LED light bulbs that had been recently installed in the outdoor lighting. I swapped out the bulb in the light nearest the garage with another brand and the problem was solved.
    I thought it might be the bulb that's why I changed back to qa normal bulb.
    I'll try to reset the thing tomorrow.

Top Bottom