• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirkified my Stag M16A4 clone, put Magpul SL on it and have a gap, or perceived gap, between the grip and the undercut of the lower.

Aero still does the lowers for Stag, yes? So, I am close to TDP on the lower. What is the problem here? Does Magpul make them this way because of the COTS shlock in other lowers? Is this a problem?

Here is a photo I took last night:

1660043836652.png

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not sure what TDP and COTS means, but Ill just say I've had some BCM grips that fit very tight and were hard to get on. My first thought is to check and make sure there is nothing between the grip and lower, inside the grip where the screw is, like a washer or extra material. I don't have faith in that suggestion though because right above the logo, where the curve in the grip meets the lower looks tight, no gap, and if that's made right, well, that's pretty precise and won't really push forward.
    I would check another grip and check this grip on another gun, maybe compare the OEM with your magpul grip?

Top is 80 lower with BCM, you can certainly see the extra craftsmanship of the Stag below. No gap on either.

E77913D4-47B1-40BB-B897-4ABC9EAF2315.jpeg

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    TDP = Technical Data Package. Basically the "official" M4/M16 design plans. True milspec vs marketing milspec.
    COTS = Commercial, off the shelf. Basically a product mass produced for the commercial, retail market. Opposite of a government contract item.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    So maybe I got lucky and my picture is relevant.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    It's not a problem but you may get your skin scrunched up in there and pinched or catch some dirt/moisture. It would bother me to the point I'd start shimming or filing... or both!

Aftermarket AR parts are sometimes finicky. Magpul has a good rep but even their tolerances are probably not tight enough to make every grip fit snuggly to every AR. Mess around with it. Trade it for a different one.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's not a problem but you may get your skin scrunched up in there and pinched or catch some dirt/moisture. It would bother me to the point I'd start shimming or filing... or both!

Aftermarket AR parts are sometimes finicky. Magpul has a good rep but even their tolerances are probably not tight enough to make every grip fit snuggly to every AR. Mess around with it. Trade it for a different one.
    Add it to the evergrowing list of "just one more thing to do"?:D

Kirk with hand files, think of the children. See disclaimer below for INGO's best selling DVD series, "Gunsmithing with Kirk":

1660056375251.png

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That would bug me to no end. Maybe a heat gun would relax that grip to form to the lower better??? Like mentioned above play with it or its trade fodder.

Top Bottom