• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I inherited a air rifle from my wife's uncle who recently passed and I was trying to absorb as much info as I can.... came across an article/post about how the spring can degrade over time and reduce the velocity of the projectile. Two question came to mind: 1) Is this true and anybody can confirm this? 2) Is the spring replaceable or is it not cost effective to change it?

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Over many years of use a spring can “take a set”, lose “springiness”, break or just plain wear out. If it’s been shot a lot (10k+ pellets), then worry. Do keep up basic maintenance though. Use lubricants that are safe for airgun use.

As for rebuilding, unfortunately, it’s an entry level rifle and unless there is sentimental value, I wouldn’t worry about rebuilding it.

Caleb

Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Over many years of use a spring can “take a set”, lose “springiness”, break or just plain wear out. If it’s been shot a lot (10k+ pellets), then worry. Do keep up basic maintenance though. Use lubricants that are safe for airgun use.

As for rebuilding, unfortunately, it’s an entry level rifle and unless there is sentimental value, I wouldn’t worry about rebuilding it.
    As for sentimental value, it has some for the wife but I can't say it's been shot a lot if I were to guess. How do you maintain an air rifle though? It's the first one I've ever owned.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Here is an excellent blog post from the Pyramyd Air blog.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It might be fine. Have you shot it much to see?

I have an old Shadow 1000 that shot just fine, until I quit shooting it a couple years ago. Never touched anything on it other than add a Charlie Tuna trigger and lube with gamo's silicone.

Caleb

Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It might be fine. Have you shot it much to see?

I have an old Shadow 1000 that shot just fine, until I quit shooting it a couple years ago. Never touched anything on it other than add a Charlie Tuna trigger and lube with gamo's silicone.

I haven't tried shooting it yet

Top Bottom