• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    The last day to sign up for Gabe White’s Pistol Shooting Solutions is Monday 5/30/22. We still need a couple people to sign up. Gabe is a great shooter and instructor. I hosted him a couple years ago and we had 1 shooter earn a turbo pin.

June 25-26, 2022

At Lebanon Police Range

Gabe White Pistol Shooting Solutions

This class is two full days of intermediate to advanced level training. We use live and dry fire to improve our defensive use of the handgun, encompassing accuracy and efficiency in shooting, gun-handling, and personal tactics. This will include a heavy focus on developing students’ technical skills and the application of those skills to solve problems relevant to defensive use of the handgun, including simple and complex spatial problems, and mitigation of danger to bystanders. Essentially, this class will focus on high performance in concealed carry and self-defense with a handgun.
    • Efficient drawstroke
    • Shot calling
    • Driving the gun on single and multiple targets (shooting mechanics)
    • Full spectrum shooting on the move (controlled and dynamic movement)
    • Shooting on the move competitive exercises
    • Foreground and background mitigation
    • Ready position presentations
    • Basic and advanced use of cover
    • Use of cover competitive exercises
    • Technical Skills Testing
    • Effective dry practice

For more information and to register visit www.gabewhitetraining.com

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The last day to sign up for Gabe White’s Pistol Shooting Solutions is Monday 5/30/22. We still need a couple people to sign up. Gabe is a great shooter and instructor. I hosted him a couple years ago and we had 1 shooter earn a turbo pin.

June 25-26, 2022

At Lebanon Police Range

Gabe White Pistol Shooting Solutions

This class is two full days of intermediate to advanced level training. We use live and dry fire to improve our defensive use of the handgun, encompassing accuracy and efficiency in shooting, gun-handling, and personal tactics. This will include a heavy focus on developing students’ technical skills and the application of those skills to solve problems relevant to defensive use of the handgun, including simple and complex spatial problems, and mitigation of danger to bystanders. Essentially, this class will focus on high performance in concealed carry and self-defense with a handgun.
    • Efficient drawstroke
    • Shot calling
    • Driving the gun on single and multiple targets (shooting mechanics)
    • Full spectrum shooting on the move (controlled and dynamic movement)
    • Shooting on the move competitive exercises
    • Foreground and background mitigation
    • Ready position presentations
    • Basic and advanced use of cover
    • Use of cover competitive exercises
    • Technical Skills Testing
    • Effective dry practice

For more information and to register visit www.gabewhitetraining.com
    Congrats @jrm on your Turbo Pin!

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Recap of the class for future reference! Class was action packed all weekend long and takes you to the upper limit for a civilian training, condensed highlights for me:
    • Classroom portion -- Gabe kicks off the class with a lecture that gets you in a very eager & coachable mindset. Without sounding preachy, Gabe dives into philosophy and explains his personal philosophies towards self improvement. My biggest takeaway was to focus on improving process more than outcome.
    • Technical Skills -- All of his skill drills are ran at 7 yards and focus on A-Zone or headshots. He explains in depth why its relevant for real world application and other observations. Interesting discussion on headshots was the thought behind shooting from a kneeling position if you're in a crowded area, to mitigate risk from misses by changing the trajectory of shots (i.e. misses going into the ceiling). Gabe has you run reps at your upper limit then has you dial it back to you level of competency. He wraps up each drill with a timed & graded evaluation for each student that is tallied towards a pin. His grading rubric (below) is very fair & makes the class very interesting for all skill levels. I personally scored a Dark Pin with @ditcherman , and we got to watch @jrm score a Turbo Pin.
      • The Bill Drill, day 1: 6 body
      • Failure to Stop, day 1: 2 body, 1 head at
      • Immediate Incapacitation, day 2: 2 head
      • The Split Bill Drill, day 2: 4 body, 2 head
    • Shooting on the move -- Gabe has you spend a lot of time shooting on the move for both days. He is still very careful to explain that people that can't shoot while moving should get to cover first.
      • Day 1 -- Focus on shooting while walking with changes in direction. Gabe sets students up between 2 barrels and has you shoot white walking forward and backwards in a figure 8. He wraps up this drill with heads up student competitions on steel targets, with one student shooting on the move.
      • Day 2 -- Focus on shooting while running. Gabe works with you 1:1 and breaks down how to shoot running right and left. He is very careful in breaking down your footwork and how you're picking up the sites / tries to isolate where you are having problems (i.e. trigger). If you are running in the direction of your strong hand, you shoot 2 handed, if you are running in the direction of your weak hand, shoot strong hand only. One HUGE takeaway is training to draw before running while minimizing muzzle flagging yourself.
    • Barriers -- Gabe spends at least 2 hours discussing uses of cover. Way too much to review but it was awesome. He introduces psychology into how to respond. Good example, if someone is charging you behind cover, think about their mindset... if they are irrational and charging / shooting, they likely expect you to be immediately behind cover so your odds of survival can be improved by backing up to the extent cover permits. He wraps up this portion tying things together with another heads up steel match, with one simulated aggressor who is running and "enveloping" (he doesn't like the word flanking because flank is a noun) and one simulated defender.

Grading rubric from Gabe's website

Dark Pin
    A tactical level of proficiency in core technical skills of drawing and shooting
    Bill Drill, 3.50 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40 + .40)
    Failure to Stop, 2.90 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.50 + .40 + 1.00)
    Immediate Incapacitation, 3.00 (Theoretical Breakdown: 2.00 + 1.00)
    Split Bill Drill, 4.70 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.50 + .40 + .40 + .40 + 1.00 + 1.00)

Light Pin
    Excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting
    Bill Drill, 2.50 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .25)
    Failure to Stop, 2.25 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.25 + .25 + .75)
    Immediate Incapacitation, 2.50 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.75 + .75)
    Split Bill Drill, 3.50 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.25 + .25 + .25 + .25 + .75 + .75)

Turbo Pin
    A highly developed level of excellence in core technical skills of drawing and shooting
    Bill Drill, 2.00 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .20)
    Failure to Stop, 1.70 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.00 + .20 + .50)
    Immediate Incapacitation, 2.00 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.50 + .50)
    Split Bill Drill, 2.60 (Theoretical Breakdown: 1.00 + .20 + .20 + .20 + .50 + .50)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The class was outstanding !

jrm not only earned the Turbo pin he did it while hosting the event. His range is top notch you are missing out if you don’t attend a event at Lebanon.

I personally started day one shooting a G37 gen 4 that has a crappy trigger and a worn mag catch. I learned that in my old age I cannot control recoil of a .45 like in my 20’s. So my performance well sucked. Plus I ate White Castle Friday and was in pain!

Day two I used my wife’s G45 my performance was much improved. Plus I had recovered from the White Castle disaster. So I guess it’s 9mm for me.

@brchixwing covered the AAR Gabe is a beast he is like a mad scientist of pistol shooting!

It was great to hang out and shoot with @brchixwing, @ditcherman, @jrm and the other students all great shooters.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Gabe White truly delivers his Pistol Shooting Solutions.

My first impression at the opening talk was “flood!”. It was a flood of words, but that first impression wasn’t quite right, it was more like wave after wave of information coming in. At first it seemed like it could become overwhelming, but Gabe’s logical delivery and thoroughness in explanation made sure that it was able to be absorbed. Gabe’s appreciation for the precise meaning of words, like his precision applied to just about everything, helps the student really understand the concepts he is trying to get across. I would have never guessed I would have wanted this much lecture in a pistol shooting class, but I wouldn’t want it any other way now.

Gabe is well rounded with very many experiences in his life, but the best part is that he wants to share with his students the relevant things that can bring improvement to them, whether it’s fencing, martial arts, or a little bit of eye yoga (the lunch lecture). Gabe seems highly motivated to share the gift and knowledge that he has, it comes across as way more than just another weekend, just another dollar. From meeting us in the parking lot and knowing our names from that point on, to the effort that had to be put in to 10 1/2 plus hour days, Gabe White comes across as just being a great human, as well as one can get to know another in 22 hours in a weekend. Needless to say, I found him inspiring.

The training itself was the most intense I’ve experienced in a class type setting, and he was right there demonstrating every drill with us, analyzing his performance, teaching us to call our shots and how to manage the mental game. Precise individual observation and attention was given to every student multiple times.

I can’t wait to attend again, and while obviously the turbo pin is a goal, no matter what happens it will be a blast as well as a great learning opportunity.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks man!

This was another great class. Everyone was super safe and got some excellent training. Gabe puts in a lot of work on the line giving everybody feedback and individual attention.
    jrm, how much if any practice did you do specifically on the drills involved in the Turbo pin? If you did a bunch, do you feel it carried over to other aspects of your shooting?

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    jrm, how much if any practice did you do specifically on the drills involved in the Turbo pin? If you did a bunch, do you feel it carried over to other aspects of your shooting?
    I only shot his standards a few times in the 2 weeks before class. But I do dryfire daily and almost all of my shooting is on a timer.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I only shot his standards a few times in the 2 weeks before class. But I do dryfire daily and almost all of my shooting is on a timer.
    Thanks. I know a lot of people focus exclusively on whatever is going to be the test for these types of classes for quite some time beforehand. I am not saying that's wrong, if I go through the class a second time I may just do that.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Thanks. I know a lot of people focus exclusively on whatever is going to be the test for these types of classes for quite some time beforehand. I am not saying that's wrong, if I go through the class a second time I may just do that.
    I did just that.
    Signed up for the class about May 31 and set a goal to be at the range every day running a drill, knowing that goal was not going to happen, but made it there 10 or 12 times, running these 4 drills most of the times, and writing down my times about half the time.
    I too questioned whether it was wrong, but examined my own motives along with the fact that I’ve never shot competitively, and decided it was just me against me.

Specifically at the class, I opened up right about where I expected to, running decent dark pin times. The thing I noticed most was my times really didn’t get a lot better, just incrementally, had a few white pin runs over the weekend, and my sense was that most others were more improved, generally very quickly into the first morning, than I was, to come up into that dark pin area. (Not that I was really keeping track, just a general observation.)

I know practice helped me, and my observations only indicate to me that others may be better natural shooters, or that I at least better keep the rust knocked off.

I plan to keep shooting these drills and work on my times.

Top Bottom