• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The good, the bad, and the ugly! I want to hear all about it.

Because I'm thinking about picking one up to become my main EDC choice.

Should also note that the Sig P365XL is also intriguing. But I'm not keen on the past history with the standard P365...nor the cost.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The good, the bad, and the ugly! I want to hear all about it.

Because I'm thinking about picking one up to become my main EDC choice.

Should also note that the Sig P365XL is also intriguing. But I'm not keen on the past history with the standard P365...nor the cost.

I’m a fan. Been wanting a single stack 19 for ages along with everyone else i’m sure. I usually carry a 43 or a 19 so this is the Goldilocks for me. Plus you can get it in black now.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IF I buy one... I'll be transitioning from a 1.0 Shield 9mm as my main carry gun to a G48. Essentially a seamless transition. Software would essentially be the same - but I'd need to invest in more holsters, mags, sights, etc, etc.

It would be cheaper to just buy a few + baseplates for the Shield mags to get the same standard capacity. But the potential for the 15 rd mags for the G48 have me quite intrigued. IF they're real. And if Sig doesn't sue them.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I am really liking my 48 switched out the connector and is a really nice shooter. I like my 365 and carry it often, but still like both my 48 and 43 better!psyko

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Bought 1 a while back. Holsters are a problem as I'm kinds picky. The site are typical Glock. Hard for me to pick up. Still trying to decide how much I like it. It shoots well enough. Wife likes it better than the G19's. May look into putting a red dot on it. Length of the grip is still an issue with printing for me.

Bob

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Gotta say I dont understand the 48. But I am eyeing that G45 pretty heavily. I am new and late to thr Glock game but I am liking what I am seeing so far.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Glocks for me have always been the worst feeling pistols (chunky/blocky) in my hand and that all changed with the intro of the G42 and G43. Bought a used G42 and then in May of this year picked up a new G48 on gunbroker for under $400.

I really enjoy the G48 , easy to shoot and fairly accurate and a grip more fitting for my hand size. I added Talon granulates which I really like. Added the Vortex Venom as I was thinking of shooting in the Glock match at Camp Perry earlier this month.

At first I didn't care for the two tone but after owning it for a while I guess it doesn't really bother me. What I could do without is the front slide serrations - about the only thing I would change.
    View attachment 78781

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm very happy with my 48, I have carried a lot of different pistol and the 48 is my favorite by far. Not too big or too small, shoots like a larger pistol and small enough to carry IWB comfortable, I not put that many rounds through but have not had even a hint of a malfunction. I also had a 43X and I like the 48 better as in my opinion has a better balance (nothing wrong with the 43X), is the 48 for everyone NO as most people want a very small pistol for CCW but in my case I'm confident that my 48 can get me out of harm's way without any issues. I'm not a fanboy of any brand but I won't even look a P365 as I don't think Sig put a good consistent product, I can trust my 48 100 % if I do my part.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have both the G48 and the P365XL. For me, the P365XL beats the Glock in every way. Points more naturally (for me), better trigger, feels better in my hand. Most most importantly, the P365 holds two more rounds. Unless Shield Arms actually releases their 15 round G48 mags, the P365 will be my EDC over the G48 every day.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the info / feedback, everyone.

For now, I'm holding off purchasing.

I did just buy 2 +2 baseplate extensions for my Shield. That'll bring it up to 10+1 and another 10 in the spare mag. We'll see how that all works out!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the info / feedback, everyone.

For now, I'm holding off purchasing.

I did just buy 2 +2 baseplate extensions for my Shield. That'll bring it up to 10+1 and another 10 in the spare mag. We'll see how that all works out!

I have a shield 1.0 with true precision threaded barrel and carver comp (just about the same length as the 48). I use a NDZ pinky extension on the shorter mag (7rds) and then Magguts springs and followers and taylor freelance +1 baseplates on the longer mags to get 10 in them.

I love(d) that gun... and then I got my 48.
    As I said, slide length is about the same, but the 48 feels better in my hand. it is a little more snappy, but not much, and definitely not uncontrollable.

I have a TLR-6 on both the shield and the 48, and I might be swaping the Shield Sights RMS over to the 48 and getting rid of the shield. I just really don't see a need to keep the shield now. :twocents:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I love(d) that gun... and then I got my 48. ... it is a little more snappy, but not much, and definitely not uncontrollable.

Shield Sights RMS over to the 48 and getting rid of the shield. I just really don't see a need to keep the shield now. :twocents:

Snipping up your post. A) thanks for chiming in.

Do you think the G48 may be more snappy due to no comp? By a lot of physical measurements, I'd think the G48 should be LESS snappy (more mass, low bore axis, larger grip to hang on to). Interesting.

And I've heard some not great things about the durability of the RMS. Like one decent bop on the sight glass/body and that's all she wrote. Heaven forbid it get dropped. However, I've also heard that a newer model, the "waterproof" one is more durable than the older models. Still, though, there are only a precious few slide-mounted RDS sights that I'd consider on a daily carry defensive pistol and I don't think that the RMS makes that particular cut.

But an RMR'd G48 seems like it'd scratch an itch I have. If only I could get away with spending that $1000+.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I'll comment on the RMS....

I have four of them on different guns (RMS on a CZ P10C, RMSc on a G43, G48 and P365). After carrying them all for some period of time, I cannot recommend them (in their current configuration) for daily carry. The polymer lens is VERY easily scratched even with an optic cloth. Supposedly you are only supposed to clean them with a q-tip. All of mine have scratches on the lens because they get dirty and I wipe them off with my cotton t-shirt or optics cloth. Even the new more durable models have them same type polymer lens and are prone to scratching which makes the lens blurry and the dot bloom.

I will be reconsidering the RMS and RMSc when they new GLASS lens version comes out sometime this fall (confirmed with em last week).

To wrap up and give you a good indication on the RMS, I am taking my P10c in today to ZRTS to have them remove the RMS and re-mill the slide for an RMR. IMHO the RMR is the best mini red dot on the market. However and RMR on a G48 slide looks like a rock on toothpicks to me. https://suarezinternational.com/trijicon-rmr-sight-package-for-glock-43-43x-48/

Now...if Trijicon would ever release an RMRc....I'd be in heaven.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Aren't these using a unique mag, only for the G48 and G43x? Anyone familiar with mag pricing, availability, aftermarket?

That concerns me. Maybe check back later on this otherwise desirable gun?

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Aren't these using a unique mag, only for the G48 and G43x? Anyone familiar with mag pricing, availability, aftermarket?

I just bought a few extra mags a week ago. I didn't feel like they were priced particularly crazy. I wanna say they were 25ish dollars for genuine glock mags.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll comment on the RMS....

I have four of them on different guns (RMS on a CZ P10C, RMSc on a G43, G48 and P365). After carrying them all for some period of time, I cannot recommend them (in their current configuration) for daily carry. The polymer lens is VERY easily scratched even with an optic cloth. Supposedly you are only supposed to clean them with a q-tip. All of mine have scratches on the lens because they get dirty and I wipe them off with my cotton t-shirt or optics cloth. Even the new more durable models have them same type polymer lens and are prone to scratching which makes the lens blurry and the dot bloom.

I will be reconsidering the RMS and RMSc when they new GLASS lens version comes out sometime this fall (confirmed with em last week).

To wrap up and give you a good indication on the RMS, I am taking my P10c in today to ZRTS to have them remove the RMS and re-mill the slide for an RMR. IMHO the RMR is the best mini red dot on the market. However and RMR on a G48 slide looks like a rock on toothpicks to me. https://suarezinternational.com/trijicon-rmr-sight-package-for-glock-43-43x-48/

Now...if Trijicon would ever release an RMRc....I'd be in heaven.

Yes, the look of an RMR on a G48 looks goofy. The Suarez mounting plate doesn't seem to help. But it's more elegant than the Dueck Defense dovetail mount. I also saw a photo the other day of an Aimpoint ACRO on a G48. That was neat, too. But that's pert'near $1k just in the gun and the optic. Let alone new holsters and mags.

And yes, I like the form-factor of the RMS sights - but not their fragility.

An RMR on a G48 in a proper holster shouldn't be a big deal, right?

As of now, however, this is all a mental exercise.

Yes - the mags will only work with the 48, 43x, and the 43 with a sleeve. I'm not even sure if sleeves exist, though.

But the idea of a G48, with Glock reliability and aftermarket, with 10+1 capacity and the "promise" of an impending 15 round flush-fit mag all makes me tingly inside.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why are unique mags an issue?

Some folks would like to have as many firearms share mags as they possibly can. So a double stack 9mm Glock G17 mag can work in a G26, 19, 17, and a 34. Probably the newer versions as well - whatever those model numbers are.

So if you're heavily invested in the double stack Glocks, a single stack Glock would monkey up the works in the cross-platform compatibility area. One-trick ponies, if you were.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Some folks would like to have as many firearms share mags as they possibly can. So a double stack 9mm Glock G17 mag can work in a G26, 19, 17, and a 34. Probably the newer versions as well - whatever those model numbers are.

So if you're heavily invested in the double stack Glocks, a single stack Glock would monkey up the works in the cross-platform compatibility area. One-trick ponies, if you were.

Seems like a silly reason not to get a gun. I already have lots of double stack glocks of all sizes that are mag compatible. 48 mixing into that never crossed my mind. It’s a completely different type of gun. I can’t carry more than 3 mags on me at a time anyway and it comes with two :scratch:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems like a silly reason not to get a gun. I already have lots of double stack glocks of all sizes that are mag compatible. 48 mixing into that never crossed my mind. It’s a completely different type of gun. I can’t carry more than 3 mags on me at a time anyway and it comes with two :scratch:

It's a matter of most likely being compatible with the next guy and visa versa.

A fair amount of folks also store the extra/vehicle ammo in mags. Say for example, a SHTF backup 17 rounder and 33 round fun stick.

Top Bottom