• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In the boredom of being semi-retired from the competitive Pistol Sports I have had time to try out a newer 1911. Here then, is my review of this latest project. The 2020 made Fusion Riptide Fusion Firearms | Home in 9mm is an all carbon steel Commander sized 1911. This as pictured gun comes with everything you need and a few bonuses. The overall appearance of this piece is that of higher end builds but the price is very reasonable. At $959 MSRP I expected a few shortcuts in production. I have found none. This thing has digested everything from 115 Grain JHP to 147 TC Lipsticks. The 20LPI checkering on the front strap is a little course but does a nice job of keeping my grip. With a FO front sight and a NOVAK style rear, these old eyes have no problem picking them up. The slide treatment is topped with a serrated flattened rib which is a nice touch. The slide top was done correctly and not an after thought like many custom builds today. In other words, slide treatments that are done in between the sights, where one must ramp up to front sight is a no no for me. This gun has very clean lines. The muzzle is crowned and looks nice but isn’t something that I would pay for. For me, the crown must be square to the bullet base for best accuracy and having this little bit of protection is okay but adds nothing to accuracy over a conventional crowned exit.

Trigger pull breaks regularly at 5LBS with no creep. It is shooting in and when it settles, I will take it to my 4LB standard for carry 1911’s. All safeties work smoothly and precise. The chin of the slide is milled with Buick ports and uses a standard plug on the recoils spring. The bushing was finger easy to take down and the tool marks are non existent inside this slide. A conventional barrel is used and again, Fusion has figured out how to create dependability without the ramp process used throughout the industry today. One thing I will change if I keep this one in my battery, is the slide stop. There is nothing I can do about the already chamfered slide stop receiving hole on the right side of the frame but I can put in a regular length Ed Brown so that the slide stop protrudes the right side for a finger reference and an easier takedown process. This option being done on so many 1911’s is a looks only dressing that in my opinion is as worthless as breasts on a boar. Obviously, this is one of those tweaks that the Casual Gun Owner likes. The slide stop rides in the reamed holes and I for one like all the steel supporting the full length of a steel slide stop shaft as well. Just me.

As noted, this is one of a few production grade 9mm Commander in all steel made in America. Many Commanders and Officers are made of Aluminum to get the weight down. I never understood this as reducing weight affects the shoot ability but I guess there are those that need the comfort of a lighter weight gun. And yes, I carry all the time, everyday and my steel heavy guns are comforting to me. If I want comfortable, I will stay in my recliner and listen to Yanni. The trade off is in actually shooting these guns. Heavy guns for heavy use.

If I keep this piece, I will be running about 10,000 rounds through it this year and will do a follow up report in the fall.

My wife had a few Ford Fusions and they were good bread and butter cars. Here is to hoping this gun runs like it looks for thousands of rounds. Peace Out. IMG_2321 (002).jpg IMG_2323 (002).jpg IMG_2324 (002).jpg IMG_2325 (002).jpg IMG_2322 (002).jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    In the boredom of being semi-retired from the competitive Pistol Sports I have had time to try out a newer 1911. Here then, is my review of this latest project. The 2020 made Fusion Riptide Fusion Firearms | Home in 9mm is an all carbon steel Commander sized 1911. This as pictured gun comes with everything you need and a few bonuses. The overall appearance of this piece is that of higher end builds but the price is very reasonable. At $959 MSRP I expected a few shortcuts in production. I have found none. This thing has digested everything from 115 Grain JHP to 147 TC Lipsticks. The 20LPI checkering on the front strap is a little course but does a nice job of keeping my grip. With a FO front sight and a NOVAK style rear, these old eyes have no problem picking them up. The slide treatment is topped with a serrated flattened rib which is a nice touch. The slide top was done correctly and not an after thought like many custom builds today. In other words, slide treatments that are done in between the sights, where one must ramp up to front sight is a no no for me. This gun has very clean lines. The muzzle is crowned and looks nice but isn’t something that I would pay for. For me, the crown must be square to the bullet base for best accuracy and having this little bit of protection is okay but adds nothing to accuracy over a conventional crowned exit.

Trigger pull breaks regularly at 5LBS with no creep. It is shooting in and when it settles, I will take it to my 4LB standard for carry 1911’s. All safeties work smoothly and precise. The chin of the slide is milled with Buick ports and uses a standard plug on the recoils spring. The bushing was finger easy to take down and the tool marks are non existent inside this slide. A conventional barrel is used and again, Fusion has figured out how to create dependability without the ramp process used throughout the industry today. One thing I will change if I keep this one in my battery, is the slide stop. There is nothing I can do about the already chamfered slide stop receiving hole on the right side of the frame but I can put in a regular length Ed Brown so that the slide stop protrudes the right side for a finger reference and an easier takedown process. This option being done on so many 1911’s is a looks only dressing that in my opinion is as worthless as breasts on a boar. Obviously, this is one of those tweaks that the Casual Gun Owner likes. The slide stop rides in the reamed holes and I for one like all the steel supporting the full length of a steel slide stop shaft as well. Just me.

As noted, this is one of a few production grade 9mm Commander in all steel made in America. Many Commanders and Officers are made of Aluminum to get the weight down. I never understood this as reducing weight affects the shoot ability but I guess there are those that need the comfort of a lighter weight gun. And yes, I carry all the time, everyday and my steel heavy guns are comforting to me. If I want comfortable, I will stay in my recliner and listen to Yanni. The trade off is in actually shooting these guns. Heavy guns for heavy use.

If I keep this piece, I will be running about 10,000 rounds through it this year and will do a follow up report in the fall.

My wife had a few Ford Fusions and they were good bread and butter cars. Here is to hoping this gun runs like it looks for thousands of rounds. Peace Out. View attachment 144089 View attachment 144090 View attachment 144091 View attachment 144092 View attachment 144093
    I like it. Fusion has some great videos on you tube for 1911 tinkering. They also sell parts,kits and assembly
    Last time I looked all the pistols on there website were sold out...Go figure

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Great write-up! I have a Riptide-C, and I like it quite a bit! I had some FTE issues in the first two mags, but has been flawless for the next ~200. I've also played with a 9mm Reaction, and it is SMOOTH. Very impressive firearms for the price point.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Decent looking piece but, those Buick ports kill it for me. Like you ,I don't care for the slide stop or the chamfered hole. The thumb safety looks big with sharp edges. I do wish that the manufacturers would stop putting the serrations on the front of the slide. I hope you enjoy it and get a long life out of it. Great write up.

Top Bottom