• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Post your funny/odd outdoor or hunting story's.
    My first is when i was a baby in diapers my dad was a big time coon hunter and use to take me and lay me in the truck seat let the dogs out and he would sit in the truck with me give me a bottle and changed diapers if needed until the dogs treed. Then grab me up carry me in the woods lay me next to a tree shoot the coon out and get the dogs together and go to the next woods. Needless to say my mom told me a story about the time he did just that and forgot me in the woods laying by a tree. When he got to the truck and put the dogs in the dog box he got in the truck started to drive to the next spot and realized I wasn't in the truck ! "I was in the woods." LMAO He had to turn around and had to come and get me. He told my mom I was just laying there didn't make a sound. He laughed and said he never forgot me after that . lol They been gone awhile but I will never forget that story. I don't remember it . But I have been hunting ever since. I will tell another later.

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Watched my buddy wrestle a deer after an oncoming truck hit it. It was trapped under the truck and spun out from underneath dazed and was walking down the road. The famous words were uttered, "watch this!".

He put the deer in a headlock and went to the road with her. He wallered around hollering for a knife. I was holding a light laughing so hard i couldn't round him up a knife.

The deer then broke free and placed the front hooves on this chest and jumped off of him and walked away.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Too many to list! The best part of hunts are the times spent with friends and family hunting, tracking, dragging out. When I was young my dad would take me out squirrel or deer hunting. One time I took my Lone Ranger cap gun. I think we were deer hunting. I saw a squirrel above us and started "shooting" it. Dad wasn't too happy! When I was a little older, family friends had a boy about my age. His first kill was a little ground squirrel that they had mounted. The following year I got my first fox squirrel. Dad said the first thing out of my mouth was "Can we mount it!"

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    My Dad raised my three stepsisters on his own before he married my mother. So if he wanted to go hunting, the girls went with him. He always told the story of going hunting, and building a 'blind' for them from several downed logs and some brush. Just made it into a triangle and put them in the middle with their rifles while he went several hundred yards away and got up in his tree stand. He said a few hours went by, and he wasn't seeing anything, but he periodically checked on the girls with his binoculars. One time he looked over to check on the girls and there were two deer peering over the top of the 'blind' sniffing at the girls. All three girls were asleep...

Similar story. While I was in the Navy and stationed down at NAS Corpus Christi, I used to take fellow sailors up to our family ranch near San Antonio to go deer hunting. I had this fellow worker John Kirby who had been born in New York, but raised since the age of 2 in Ireland. He was bound and determined to go hunting with us, so he bought a 30-30, and said he wanted to go with us. I put him in a ground blind on our ranch that I could see from my elevated blind. I watched a deer walk right up and look into the open window through my binoculars. John said he never saw a thing...

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Before moving to Indiana, we owned some hunting property in south central Virginia. Very isolated. We were in the process of building an off grid cabin..would go down on weekends....we had an old pop up trailer with rotted canvass as a temporary shelter.
    Well one weekend I went down by myself and took one of our dogs with me. Had to get up an HR or so before first let to empty my bladder.
    There was something way up the valley that was screaming, I didn't think much of it. Just before first light, that same something was outside the clearing where the pop up was located...kinda a cross between a baby screaming and a women crying is the best discription I can give...still makes my arm hairs stand up when I think of it.
    So I open the door....flashlite in hand, and the dogs runs past me and into the brush...disappears from the beam of the flashlight...the something screams again, and the dog runs right back into the pop up.
    For the next 10-15 minutes that thing roamed around the camper, occasionally screaming......I was sure it would rip thru that old canvass.
    Never did see it and couldn't find any tracks.
    I suspect it was a cougar but I can't prove it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    When I was a kid I could run like Forrest Gump. My Grandad had a 4 acre hay field behind his house that use to be the barn lot.

When they would come over to cut the hay my Grandad would get me, a folding chair and a chicken pen and sit in the back yard.

I was eager to run after anything but he would hold onto my shirt to keep me from wasting myself on rabbits too far away to catch.

But when one was on our side of the field he would send me just like a good dog and I would chase them down, jump on them and bring them back by their hind legs to go into the pen.

No need to guess what we had for dinner that night. My Grandmother would talk about how good it was not to have to look for shot when she cleaned them.

Life was simple then, it sure is hell to get old...

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    My first coyote kill was the craziest thing my brother and I ever experienced hunting. I walked out the back door and thought I saw my dog out in the field and turned to walk to my barn and realized my dog was lying beside the back door. Realized it was a coyote so I stepped into the house and grabbed my rifle powered muzzle loader, put a primer in it and headed for the field to see if I could get a shot at it. I never seen that coyote, but while I was looking for it I saw three running across a field right towards me. I dropped to one knee and put my crosshairs on the biggest one. All the sudden they saw me and came to a screeching stop. While they were turning around quickly I shot hitting it in the backside crippling it. Without the use of its back legs it crawled into a tunnel in a fence row to hide, it wasn’t going anywhere and I only had one shot so I ran back to house to get more ammunition to finish the job. As I was at the house my brother and an old hunting buddy showed up so the three of us went back to take care of it. My buddy asked me if i was wanting to save the pelt and I said yes. So instead of shooting it again he suggested that I should take a stick and pork at the coyotes mouth while he crawled in behind him and grabbed it around the neck to choke him. My brother and I told him he was crazy. We were right, I took a tree limb about six foot long and about two inches around and started poking it. It chewed the limb up like a wood chipper. My buddy crawled up behind it and grabbed it around the neck and the fight was on, that coyote could only use his front legs but was trying very hard to turn and bite my buddies arms. We were freaking out on how close it was getting to biting his arms. He dragged it out never letting go and told me to sit on it with him to suffIocate it. We both sat on it to finish it off. So stupid to do it that way. We took it back to house to show off our kill . My buddy was covered with blood and the first thing my wife asked was why did I shoot my buddy and instantly was mad at me.lol my brother told her how stupid we were and what had happened. And I’ve never tried that again and never would recommend trying to do it that way , especially if you buddy is named Bart. Lol

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    My dad and I was coon hunting one night, I was about 9yrs old and was just getting into trapping . We was walking out of the woods and walked up on a opossum in the field , so I wanted to kill it and sell the pelt. It was worth about .50 to $1.00 lol so I shot it with a .22 and picked it up by the tail to carry it to the truck. We went about 20yds and the tail wrapped around my hand and that thing grabbed onto my leg and I come unglued started jumping around freaking out. Thought it was gonna bite me. Finally got it off me it fell to the ground and I unloaded that .22 on that opossum prob shot it 10 times . My dad was laughing so hard ! Just left it in the field after that .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom