• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Got a Lennox heat pump where the outer unit is icing over. Knowing there is a lot of HVAC guys out there, I wanted to get some opinions. Stuck defrost relay ? Suggestions?
    Thank you

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not clue as to the Lennox system. They make it near impossible to work on or sell that product line with out paying the piper and being a dealer.
    I do not like much of anything to produce because it is so brand specific with little to no tech support outside being a dealer.

Yes it is probably part of the board but there is also a thermistor located somewhere on the coil to tell the board when the parameters are met to put the unit back into cooling (defrost) to clear the coil.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    CM is one the money with Lennox.. but there are lots of guys here that will get you one the right path.. Have you checked filters ? Can you flip it over to ac and see if it will start defrosting? Don’t have to leave it on long. Been hearing ok until now? History of issues? Best.. tim

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Damn good information sir ! 13 year old unit too. I won't buy a this brand again.
    Hoping to squeeze a few more years more out of it though. In the heat pump market, what would be your recommendation when time to start over ?
    CM is one the money with Lennox.. but there are lots of guys here that will get you one the right path.. Have you checked filters ? Can you flip it over to ac and see if it will start defrosting? Don’t have to leave it on long. Been hearing ok until now? History of issues? Best.. tim
    Yes, filter was just changed Wednesday. Had a tech out. Outside thermostat shot and board shot. Gonna get a quote on a Trane system. 13 year old unit and spending 6-700.00 to repair seems like a bad idea.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Damn good information sir ! 13 year old unit too. I won't buy a this brand again.
    Hoping to squeeze a few more years more out of it though. In the heat pump market, what would be your recommendation when time to start over ?

Yes, filter was just changed Wednesday. Had a tech out. Outside thermostat shot and board shot. Gonna get a quote on a Trane system. 13 year old unit and spending 6-700.00 to repair seems like a bad idea.
    Good call.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A defrost board and stat shouldn’t run $6-700. I’m not a fan of Trane either, but Lennox does seem to suck the most. Parts are readily available. If you want the repair done, let me know model and serial of the outdoor and I will have the parts quoted.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    A defrost board and stat shouldn’t run $6-700. I’m not a fan of Trane either, but Lennox does seem to suck the most. Parts are readily available. If you want the repair done, let me know model and serial of the outdoor and I will have the parts quoted.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll shoot that over to you tomorrow. What brand's are on your list of good equipment?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another +1 for Doc. He replaced our system (Coincidentally also a Lennox but undersized and underducted from the builder) a couple years ago and did a fantastic job. We went with a Carrier/Bryant/ICP NG Furnace and AC coil paired with a Bosch heat pump. Thus far it's been a great combination and the heat pump can match its output to the different stage and zone configurations of my system. I believe Doc also installed a similar setup in his own home.

Top Bottom