• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Pretty sure there is at least one thread around here somewhere. They have some satisfied customers, although overall they are not very highly thought of in the training field. I have no personal experience other than knowing people who have taught there.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I was there a long time ago. The training was pretty standard. Better than most of the hometown trainers, not as good as the big names (Paul Howe, Pat Rogers RIP, Lou Awerbuck RIP, Randy Cain, etc.).

They are about numbers and putting everyone through a standardized POI. The owner claims ties to Jeff Cooper and having derived their material from Gunsite. Excellent range facility in the desert. Instructors were all on the same page so there was consistency.

If you want a certificate, I saved one for a 4 day class and one for a 2 day class. They are for sale as I won't be back in Vegas for a long time.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    All,

Thanks for info, the offer on the certificate, and for digging up the old thread (I tried but found nothing). If I go, my class is taken care of. They claim to teach more people than any other school, but no Hoosiers I guess. I have had training by 3 other schools and by 1 private instructor; that should give me something to gauge it off of. If I do this, I will do a write up on this thread.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    All,

Thanks for info, the offer on the certificate, and for digging up the old thread (I tried but found nothing). If I go, my class is taken care of. They claim to teach more people than any other school, but no Hoosiers I guess. I have had training by 3 other schools and by 1 private instructor; that should give me something to gauge it off of. If I do this, I will do a write up on this thread.
    I would appreciate that. I have some... preconceived notions about front sight; If you plan to go there and do a write up I won't try to influence your decision or opinions.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I would appreciate that. I have some... preconceived notions about front sight; If you plan to go there and do a write up I won't try to influence your decision or opinions.
    It is decided and scheduled. I am going at the end of march to a 4 day handgun course. Vacation time is in, trip is planned.

But for the sake of an entertaining thread, I would like to hear your notions and how you arrived at them.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    It is decided and scheduled. I am going at the end of march to a 4 day handgun course. Vacation time is in, trip is planned.

But for the sake of an entertaining thread, I would like to hear your notions and how you arrived at them.
    I've had the pleasure of shooting with, Co-instructing a class, and talking with a few guys who are graduates.

The one who I was instructing with ( we were both assistants for a mutual friend) was a solid shooter, very well spoken, and very squared away. My opinion on front sight are very close to his.

The one that I have been shooting with was a true beginner before going. He said that he enjoyed the experience and definitely felt like he was a better shooter because of it. He was, in general, a safe and fairly competent shooter for being a beginner.

I've butted heads with a couple of guys who are multiple alumni of front sight. They "drank the kool aid" if you will and believe that FS is the best training you can get.

My notions are that front sight is a functional training facility. Nothing special, but they market themselves very well. They do teach some things that I consider outdated. They use terminology that is outside of "industry standard" to try to separate themselves. Some of their claims are dubious at best, but that doesn't impact the instruction too much.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I've had the pleasure of shooting with, Co-instructing a class, and talking with a few guys who are graduates.

The one who I was instructing with ( we were both assistants for a mutual friend) was a solid shooter, very well spoken, and very squared away. My opinion on front sight are very close to his.

The one that I have been shooting with was a true beginner before going. He said that he enjoyed the experience and definitely felt like he was a better shooter because of it. He was, in general, a safe and fairly competent shooter for being a beginner.

I've butted heads with a couple of guys who are multiple alumni of front sight. They "drank the kool aid" if you will and believe that FS is the best training you can get.

My notions are that front sight is a functional training facility. Nothing special, but they market themselves very well. They do teach some things that I consider outdated. They use terminology that is outside of "industry standard" to try to separate themselves. Some of their claims are dubious at best, but that doesn't impact the instruction too much.

Flight, very well said! And thanks for this. When it comes to the best training a person can get, I probably couldn't take part in it. I'm getting older, have 3 fused vertebrae in my neck, two herniated discs in my lower back, and I'm fat. I am just looking forward to a change of scenery and no cell phone for 4 straight days.

To me, this is as much a vacation as it will be training.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    Flight, very well said! And thanks for this. When it comes to the best training a person can get, I probably couldn't take part in it. I'm getting older, have 3 fused vertebrae in my neck, two herniated discs in my lower back, and I'm fat. I am just looking forward to a change of scenery and no cell phone for 4 straight days.

To me, this is as much a vacation as it will be training.

If you're looking for a vacation where you may be able to learn a bit, I imagine it's a good time. You can definitely get some shooting in, and not be disturbed by technology. I understand that the scenery is wonderful. Having spent some time in the desert I can say that most are beautiful at certain times of day.

Best of luck and enjoy! I'm sure that you will have fun! I look forward to your report about your experiences.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    While it has been a while, have heard many comments that were not the best. Cost, attitudes, facilitates. Certainly better choices.
    I had thought that the guy who owns it was planning a resort out there. I know that one of the guys that I have frequent interactions with donates to that cause fairly frequently.

I guess that may be part of my distaste. It feels like the amway of the firearms community.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    OP, you are going with the right attitude IMHO. I lived in a state neighboring NV and thanks to a friend joined Frontsight in 2014 and took the basic handgun course. While I grew up with guns and had been shooting since a young age I had zero formal training nor had my father who taught me had any. Neither my father or I had much semi auto handgun experience, we mostly shot single action revolvers. Dad and I took the 4 Day Basic Handgun class together. We both felt we learned a great deal, were better shooters, gun handlers and had a very enjoyable time.

Since then I have competed in USPSA, IDPA, Two Gun, 3 Gun, Steel Challenge, etc and taken several Reveres Riders pistol courses. Obviously I am not an expertly trained handgun master! I very much consider myself only competent not good!

I went back to Front Sight with my son, sister, brother-in-law, brother and his wife this past Nov. I was much better able to appreciate the curriculum and instructions this time. My sister and sister-in-law in law had very limited shooting experience and my brother, son and brother-in-law had not formal training or much in the way of competition experience. I was able to watch their progress as well as experience the training from my somewhat higher experience level.

They state right up front the intro course is intended to start someone who has never shot before. It was all about fundamentals. We started with intros to gun types and progressed to drawing from a concealed holster and delivering a controlled pair into a target at 3-15 yard in under 2 seconds. The entire experience was highly organized and a well oiled machine. They had over 900 people taking various classes on the campus while I was there and it was incredibly smooth.

In our class of 40, both ladies improved dramatically, all of us did to varying degrees. The weather was perfect, sunny, clear, cool and dry. The other people in the class were fun and I enjoyed the instructors and curriculum. We also got to do one run through a short shoot house scenario and a man v man competition. We went through approx 600 rounds each.

Since the class was free to me as a member my biggest expense was travel. In my opinion for $400 I can certainly get similar and certainly more personal training in Indianapolis. To be able to enjoy the desert and participate with my family it was awesome.

I will go back to take higher level courses in pistol and rifle and shotgun courses. If I didn't have family out there to visit I am certain I would be at least as well and probably better served spending my money locally for training. I haven't taken the higher level courses at Front Sight yet but my best guess from reading and talking to people here that I respect is the training will be better closer to home but it will cost me $1,000 and up (multiple big name trainers and multiple highly recommended local ones are available periodically in central Indiana.)

Bottom line my skills improved as did those of my family members, all of who want to go back for more. We had a wonderful time. If I were solely looking for the best bang for my buck I would probably spend it locally though the weather will be much harder to deal with LOL.

Enjoy the trip! And learn to ignore LOTS of marketing emails LOL.

Last edited:

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I took some training there. It was great! They will try to sell you memberships but other then that it was amazing. If you decide to go I may have some free training certificate I can dig up.
    PFC,

Thanks for the generous offer, but my class has already been taken care of. I am taking a 4 day mid-week class next month. It's also good to hear your praise of the place, as I am really looking forward to the trip.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    Ok, I have just completed day 3 of the 4 day course. I will attempt to give a brief AAR here as promised, after I get back home. I have no doubt I will miss some things, because there was a LOT to take in.
    Awesome. I look forward to another AAR! Hopefully you're having a good time and learning a lot!

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    That used to be on my list of places and things to do, but i dont hear anyone talk about it anymore. Doesn't seem to be "THE" school anymore.
    Gunsite is still, and probably always will be, a very solid school. With the advent of more SOF guys starting their own schools I would say that it isn't "the" school anymore. I recommend warrior poet, and tactical rifleman for most people.

Top Bottom