• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have a membership. My dad bought into the Ignatius pitch a long time ago and got us all memberships. I haven’t been there in probably 5 or 6 years now. The facility has come a long way, they have running water and real bathrooms now. Tons of various ranges. I’m not sure if the resort thing will ever come to fruition or not or the proposed other locations. We shot A LOT the times that I was there, not sure if the current ammo situation has changed that or not. It’s good training depending on your skill set. They can take you from a newb to pretty proficient at the end. I haven’t been able to take any of their more advanced classes. It’s hard to get out there and they only allow so much time to have passed to be able to take the next level class which kind of sucks.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    So, to make a long story into a short AAR, I will attempt to remember everything in order. They start off with gear inspection right after check in, followed by signing waivers. We got an introduction from Front Sight COO Brad Ackman (former Gunsight instructor), who is a very eloquent guy. He addressed the ammo shortage, and how the class had been altered from its previous for to lower the round count down to 450 for the 4 day class. The ammo bunker could only provide federal premium LE hollowpoints in 9mm. Other calibers got ball ammo.

Then we were sent to our ranges for most basic parts of instruction- "This is the Slide, this is the Muzzle" type vocab lessons. They go through their range commands, and a couple of shooting demonstrations. We are divided into two relays, and practice everything dry for a while under the watchful eye of the other relay who is there to critique, correct, and keep you pointed down range.

We began shooting early in the afternoon, and only fired about 50 rounds. The next day, there was more basic instruction on the range and in classroom and more shooting. The 3rd day
    Was all shooting live-fire house,and dry practice drills. The 4th day was the test on shooting, reloads, and malfunction clearances.

All in all, it was basic instruction, but with the time and repetition to really make you good. The range is the most impressive range I have ever seen. Amzingly clean indoor bathrooms with AC, and a temperature controlled classroom that seats hundreds. They have a food trailer that cooks pretty good food, and a pro shop that can handle most anything you forgot at home- belts, holsters, hearing protection, clothing, etc.

The instructors are amazingly professional, and the classes are completely scripted. Lectures are at certain times, shooting is a certain time. Everyone goes home learning the exact same thing, so in the more advanced classes, all have the same fundamental skills.

I have trained at TDI, Sig Sauer, Hard Target, and have paid for instruction from IDPA masters. I feel like this was good training and a Great range, staff, and environment. I do plab to go back, but I am not opposed to taking training at other schools in the future.

The only sales pitch I encountered during the class was for Legal Shield, which made sense why it was part of the training once it was explained.

I would definitely go back, and would surely recommend it to others.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Glad it was a good experience for you. Sounds like nice facilities which is half the battle when trying to have classes. The comment about scripted definitely makes sense. The guy I know well who taught there said even their jokes were scripted.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Cedartop,

As far as the script goes, in one of the shooting demonstrations the Range Master was showing what happens when you try to shoot faster than you can get a correct sight picture and he made two bad shots, one missing the silhouette and just hitting paper. I found out later from two shooters who had attended many classes at Front Sight, that even those two bad shots were scripted. They told me that every Range Master they had seen make the same two misses in those exact spots.

Those "misses" were amazingly fast. Hard to believe it was intentional.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Its probably worth pointing out that the class I took at Sig Sauer was one of their advanced classes. I was in this class with alleged government agents who couldn't safely draw from a holster. These guys held the class up and kept us from getting the most out of the class. At front sight, you cannot take more advanced classes without first proving your skill.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Its probably worth pointing out that the class I took at Sig Sauer was one of their advanced classes. I was in this class with alleged government agents who couldn't safely draw from a holster. These guys held the class up and kept us from getting the most out of the class. At front sight, you cannot take more advanced classes without first proving your skill.
    The issue with LE staff is you have a 10% 80% 10% breakdown. The top 10% are your folks squared away on firearms use. They excel and are taking additional outside training on their own dime. Always trying to improve or stay at peak performance.

80% is the middle ground that meets or slightly exceeds minimum standards but that doesn't mean they are proficient!

The bottom 10% are the train wrecks that are so incompetent they cause administrations across the land to dumb down standards.

Civilian shooters can sort of be the same. Some are serious about firearms and attend additional training And some only think they are. But you never see them at any training because 1 They are too cheap or 2 They think they already know enough

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    CZ, thanks for the report. My experiences and impressions were similar as I expressed above. What I would really like now is to hear from someone who has taken the rifle, shotgun or advanced classes. I am hoping to again attend with my family members, probably next year, and haven't heard much about those.

I have taken two Revere's Riders Carbine classes and really enjoyed them. Lots of variety and scenarios presented. I felt I really benefited from the training and dang sure had fun. Very curious how Front Site's rifle courses compare.

I have never taken a shotgun course and would be very interested in that next.

Glad you had a good trip.

Top Bottom