• ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I’m just not seeing the other 2 charges sticking if it’s an honest jury. The defense has had some key wins. But regardless I think that the media on both sides is not covering this trial fairly.

If you’re watching national mainstream media sources you’d think it’s only been devastating losses for the defense, and that it would be impossible for honest people to acquit. And if you’re watching conservative sources you’d think the opposite.

I heard someone more right leaning say something to the effect that it’s like hearing a boxing match where one guy is actually winning but the announcers are only talking about the blows the other side is landing, so that the listener would think that the wrong guy is winning. But the right is doing that too. If I only listened to rightwing sites and never actually watched hours and ours of trial video myself, I’d be sure that Chauvin is completely innocent of all charges. You just can’t be pulling for a team here.

In my own estimation so far, I think the force Chauvin used was appropriate for the totality of the encounter up to the point where it was obvious that resistance stopped. Floyd was a big powerful dude. Chauvin is short and 140 lbs. we saw what even a big drunk guy could do to two less in shape officers in the other case last year. Given all the circumstances brought out in the trial, and thinking through all the reasons a cop might do what Chauvin did, “depravity” falls lower on Occam’s Razor rankings. But, I think Chauvin really misjudged the situation. The defense offered a reasonable doubt about the cause if death. So even if Chauvin’s actions were inappropriate, a not guilty would be reasonable. Or, I think it would also be reasonable if the jury thought Chauvin’s actions were at meast partly responsible for Floyd’s death. The the 2nd degree manslaughter would be appropriate.
    Yes, I agree on the coverage... I read/watch Fox and CNN... they are covering wildly different trials, lol... then go to National Review to read Andrew McCarthy, who is as close to an impartial POV as I've found.

And, I agree that Chauvin was within the book, if not by the book, up until somewhere between when Floyd stopped resisting and obviously lost consciousness. After that, the question is whether continuing the neck/back/shoulder restraint was "reasonable", "negligent" or "with depraved indifference" but not intent.

I do think at this point a reasonable jury could find it depraved indifference rather than simply negligent. But, like I said, we've only heard from the prosecution... the defense gets it's chance.

One local news story about the murder 3 charge:
    (FOX 9) - Minnesota's third-degree murder statute reads: "Whoever, without intent…causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life…" But two high-profile cases are challenging the definiton and application of the law.
    I do think the judge did a good job initially throwing out murder 3 as it seemingly applies to actions against the "general public" and not towards a single individual or group. In the Noor case, it's close-run since his gunshot could have struck anyone. I do think if Chauvin is convicted on murder 3, it should be overturned on appeal for that reason... it's simply not what the law, as written, is about... but Minnesota today is a place were "should" and "is" are often strangers to one another.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If you’re watching national mainstream media sources you’d think it’s only been devastating losses for the defense, and that it would be impossible for honest people to acquit. And if you’re watching conservative sources you’d think the opposite.
    This is the biggest problem in the country right now. Everything falls along political party lines. COVID response had been politically divided. Opinions of police fall on political lines. Social justice falls on political lines. Views on crime fall on political lines. You can go on down the list, but it all comes down to political sides. For most people, all they have to give you is R or D and you can pretty well nail all of their opinions on current affairs. Part of it is news media, part is social media, and who knows what else. If anything can destroy America, this will be it. Internal turmoil leads to external takeover. Hopefully something changes before we are too far gone.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The James/Younger Gang did meet their demise in Northfield, MN.
    Well, that was close onto 150 year ago so not sure its still relevant. Remember, this is the State that "recently" elected a former pro-rassler governor and a washed-up SNL "comedian"/sexual predator to the US Senate.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have read that BLM knows the jurors and have been threatening them. If that is the case shouldn't this be a mistrial for jury tampering?
    Have they brought in Frank’s brother Vincenzo?

This week we get to hear from the Floyd family all of the good deeds of Saint George. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of tears again.

92EBC78F-D27D-440F-8ECE-CAA7D4F7C72D.jpeg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    BLM going after BLM....... :lmfao:

'How much of her money is actually going to charitable causes?' Head of NYC BLM chapter calls for probe into organization's co-founder as it's revealed 'she has spent $3MILLION on FOUR luxury homes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-probe-founder-purchased-expensive-homes.html
    Indeed. Not only that Michael Brown's father and fellow Ferguson activists went after BLM not to long ago for not sharing the profits.

This was a quote she said previously. Does she consider spending millions on homes that are primarily in a majority white neighborhood to be "re-investing in Black communities"?

Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors told the outlet that the organization was focused on a “need to reinvest into Black communities.”

“One of our biggest goals this year is taking the dollars we were able to raise in 2020 and building out the institution we’ve been trying to build for the last seven and a half years,” she said.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom