found something worse than a thief on opening weekend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Trespassers !

Bought some land last year in november.
    spent all summer getting a driveway cleared and electric put in for the RV, just waiting for deer season.
    Then on Sunday, while sitting in my stand, a single gunshot from about 80 yards in front of me, which is very close to the road.
    Never found the guy, but found a neighbor with a doe in his front yard dressing it, my guess is he either shot it on my neighbors field while he was in my woods, or he shot it in my woods and drug it up to his house.
    I should go thank the guy
    I spent the entire summer working my ass off down there, didn't get much of a chance to scout the land, and in one day thanks to him firing a single shot, I now know exactly where to put up a stand or my blind, and I certainly intend to this weekend !
    Now I can post 3-4 more hunters than I was planning on , yea I really should go thank this guy.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Put up a trail cam and and get hard evidence before dogging this guy. He may have shot the deer legally on property that he has permission to hunt on. Noise does travel quite a ways in the country. Do you know for a fact it was on your property? Find blood on your property? And yes, make sure your property is posted!

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I had to call the DNR opening day. A guy parked and was walking nearly a mile in a loop to gain access to my woods. Burns my ass. He ran and I tried to cut him off on another road and he turned and ran the other way. So I just call the DNR and let me deal with him. Gave permission to the officer to sit here at night.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    you didn't say - is your land posted?

It does not have to be posted to charge poachers for unauthorized hunting..

From the CO on my site..

The property is not required to be posted (although it is recommended) to charge a person with hunting or fishing without consent of the landowner. The Indiana Code places the burden on the hunter or fisherman to have permission for the property they are hunting. In order to charge a person with trespassing, the property is required to be marked at the main entrance to the property. This may sound like the same thing (trespassing and hunting/fishing without consent) but it isn't. The activity that the person is participating in is used as the determining factor of which one applies. Since the hunter/fishermen is responsible for having permission where they are conducting the activity, the signage is not required. However, if someone is just on the property, the law requires that the person must know that they are not allowed to be there. Therefore the signs are required at the main entrance.

Ask the Conservation Officer | HUNTING INDIANA

nocash84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I can relate to that! I have land one county over that I get to about every other month because of my work schedule. The local dirt bags have taken all the left over metal,screws, and lumber from the barn I had built. They have taken the ladders and tools as well. I know these people are to dumb to understand the no trespassing signs I have posted and hunt there anyway. I don't call anyone a sportsman that is knowingly breaking the law but what else will occupy their time until the next idiot check from the government comes in? it just burns my a** when I have some down time and I want to enjoy the woods and I find tires thrown around the place and good timber missing. Local Law Enforcement acts like they have other concerns?

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    If you need an extra hand down there to control immigration into your property, I'd be willing to help you out ;)

We might know each other, I grew up in Danville and knew alot of people from Brownsburg/ Lizton area, and many of the guys on the sheriffs dept. and Danville PD are people I know.

Yes the property is well marked and posted , I know sound travels in the country too but this guy was less than 100 yards from me, I am guessing the deer he shot was on a open field next to my property, but he was on my property when he shot, and had someone else using a car to honk the horn to either scare the deer closer to him or to alert him to the deer, either way I consider him a poacher and a trespasser, but I know where my ground blind is going this weekend, and I hope he comes back, he might find himself handcuffed to a tree until the game warden comes to get him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I am guessing that all the people who tell me I should move out of the city to get away from the POS dirt bags are mistaken. At least I know my enemy's and where they live.

OP, I have dealt with this at friends and family's property. People are just that, people. This world would be a great place to live except for about 20% of the people.

The locals know your comings and goings. Until you get to know them and gain some trust you will have to deal with this.

Post up your land. Get to know the neighbors.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    its really a shame people are like that, no respect, sorry to hear about incident, gives hunters a bad rep, problem is they arent hunters, they are poachers and tresspassers.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Ran into similar situation few years back.
    Sitting in my blind during bow season on MY property, guy pulls up and walks to the fence edge and starts yelling, "I'm hunting on HIS property." I explained it was my property and unless he is married to my wife or her brother or my brother, "that you would be incorrect. He began to get aggressive in his manner and clinched fists. Well, my Beretta was out and ready just in case. After I explained again, it was mine, he changed it to I was parked on his property. I was parked on my wifes cousins property, about a mile away. After I asked if he was my wifes cousin, he just shouted that "You're not the only MF who hunts here." I told him, "I am now." and got out of my blind with pistol at my side. He bolted and drove away. DNR later caught him poaching on my neighbors property to my south. He was a resident of Cass county penal system for a while. He had even put up a perminate tree stand, and well built out of wood I might add.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom