For anything less than murder or rape actively in progress you are on your own in Indianapolis- CMV

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And it doesn’t really matter. When I was policing most things got plea’d down and I can’t imagine it’s any better.
    If only the prosecutor election narrative could get changed from “I’ve got a 90% conviction rate” to “ I apply the law equally by going to trial or getting equivalent plea bargains in 90% of cases”

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ever since the supreme court decided that police have no obligation to "protect and serve", the natural progression is for them to degenerate into hired goons for the state.
    That is an over-simplification of DeShaney v. Winnebago and that is NOT the current state of LE regardless of what your opinion of the "natural progression" of LE is.

This is my estimation and experience of why there is so much difference in experiencing police interactions.
    Differences in policing comes from imperfect humans and vast differences in training.

I've personally experienced a lot more of the harassment side of the force, but then I became LE for a time.

I use to be a state prison guard, yada yada, but I lived through the terrible bureaucracy that is the state leo agency.
    CO's are NOT LEO's, no matter how much they want to be thought of as such. A prison guard has as little insight to what police officers do on a daily basis as police officers have of prison guards. Two totally different worlds. Opinions of how police conduct business don't carry any more weight from a CO than a citizen who watches COPS/Live PD...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    When you live rural, you already know that police will be there to write the report and haul off the bodies. When you have 2-3 officers and maybe a trooper or two covering an entire county at 2 am what else can they do? It’s not a knock on LEO’s, you just can’t cover an area like that with no manpower. Growing up we knew it was 10-15 minute response time depending on who was where in the county and more often than not it was a trooper that made it before the sheriff dept because US36 was closer than the county seat.

People in cities have weird expectations that police are going to always be there to save the day.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Police and ambulance response times by me is pretty bad but I knew that moving here.

My neighbor was having a heart attack, gave up on waiting for ambulance and drove himself to the hospital. He ended up having triple bypass.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just read a thread about "Big Brother" watching, now this one about "a cop is never around when you want one."

What fun.

Schrodinger's police force. Simultaneously so well resourced that they can constantly monitor you, set up sting operations for petty crimes, cruise INGO looking for ne'er-do-wells, and commit general gov't inspired thuggery yet also so under resourced they can't deal with anything other than showing up after a major felony to maybe write a report about it.

It is more and more about prioritization. Society as a whole has agreed to tolerate a much higher level of lawlessness then we've seen for decades. Businesses tolerate theft because it's cheaper, so you have more thieves, etc. Police always get the blame, but look around society's expectations of both the police and fellow citizens and figure it out...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    yet also so under resourced they can't deal with anything other than showing up after a major felony to maybe write a report about it.
    I mean, can you argue that is actually not the case in rural America? We live rural and take ownership of our own safety knowing that there's no way police can be everwhere at once. I've been in places in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota etc that it's 2 hours to the neares store a highway speeds. You going to tell me we have the resources to have an officer no more than a few minutes from those people living there? It may be 10 miles to your nearest neighbor.

It's not a knock on LEO at all. You're not supermen that can physically be everywhere at once. IT's just not possible. And that's OK. People living in cities that expect LEO to be on site in under a minute is silly. Take some responsibiliy for your own safety. No one else can.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nope, it's very much the case as far as the real time event and response time. Just laughing at the dichomoty.
    IIRC last I heard it's something around a 9-10 minute response time average nationwide, from time of dispatch. That's everything from middle of nowhere to big city. My local I'm pretty sure is well below that, if it was over 5 I'd be seriously surprised. But running speed limit if your lucky with the lights it's maybe 10-15 minutes or so from the farthest points. Running hot if they can't make it across the farthest points of town in 5 they need to learn to drive. And 5 is being generous. Yes I live in a small-medium size town called a city. We have a dozen full time sworn officers and that includes the Chief and the animal control/ordinance enforcement officer, plus a couple of part timers. Other parts of the county if it averaged 10 minutes I'd be impressed. Get out west in the country if it averaged 20-30 I'd be surprised. I remember an article about a home invasion shooting, it took over 30 minutes for an officer to arrive on scene. It was iirc a deputies wife that was at home and called 911. She eventually ended up shooting and killing them after they broke through a door.

And people bitch that the cops aren't there 5 minutes after they call about their neighbors barking dog. Or even don't show up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My local I'm pretty sure is well below that, if it was over 5 I'd be seriously surprised.

Can't just count drive time. It takes time to call 911. It takes time to tell the dispatcher what's up and where to come to. It takes time for the dispatcher to then relay that information to fire/ems/police. You figure that whole process is likely to eat up 2 minutes or so. If it's fire or EMS, they likely aren't already in their vehicle and have to get to the rig to start responding. Police are more likely to be in their vehicle, but not a given. The time that takes can vary wildly.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can't just count drive time. It takes time to call 911. It takes time to tell the dispatcher what's up and where to come to. It takes time for the dispatcher to then relay that information to fire/ems/police. You figure that whole process is likely to eat up 2 minutes or so. If it's fire or EMS, they likely aren't already in their vehicle and have to get to the rig to start responding. Police are more likely to be in their vehicle, but not a given. The time that takes can vary wildly.
    Seems the farther out you get response times can increase exponentially.

Take South Dakota for instance, sign off the interstate states closest gas station is 48 miles.

Even where we are at response times can be as much as 30 minutes. And that is simply a reality with many things influencing the overall time. Certain roads by us your not getting around much faster than 40 mph and that’s if your taking your lane out of the center, even at that you better be on top of your game.

There is a lot to be said for planning ahead as much as possible to keep things from going sideways

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    1656628985428.png

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not creme filled? Rookie mistake.
    I've said this before BBI, but someday our paths have to cross in the realz. We are both from the 812 (not that far apart as the crow flies,) both spent time in Qatar, and now we are in the same area in the 317. It will happen someday...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've said this before BBI, but someday our paths have to cross in the realz. We are both from the 812 (not that far apart as the crow flies,) both spent time in Qatar, and now we are in the same area in the 317. It will happen someday...

I'm around. PM me if you like.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    justynrhynesr
    Top Bottom