• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I have a chance at buying an FN PS90 with all the trimmings. I have watched a few "reviews" and it certainly unlikr anything I have evr shot or torn down. Looking for honest opinions from those who have or have had this weapon. Let the advice begin. Before anyone tells me to buy an AR platform and be happy I have already done that.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I have the older original version of the ps90. It's fun, but finding ammunition now is about impossible. Getting American eagle ball for $14.99 is history. Bullpen design with original dot sight not real good for distance shooting. Newer models can have a regular scope, I believe.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I have the older original version of the ps90. It's fun, but finding ammunition now is about impossible. Getting American eagle ball for $14.99 is history. Bullpen design with original dot sight not real good for distance shooting. Newer models can have a regular scope, I believe.
    This one has a UTG dot sight which is aftermarket I think

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I fell in love with the P-90 thanks to the Stargate TV show. Was at a demo for FNH with my daughter who suddenly screamed "Daddy, they have a P-90". The person behind the table was amazed that a 14 year old knew what that little rifle was, and was nice enough to let us play with it. Begged them for an ATF approved version and was thrilled when the PS-90 became available.

Bought one for myself and one for my daughter as soon as they were available. Ammo back then was $800 for a case of 2000 FNH rounds. My daughter and I burned through more than a few cases and never had an issue with either rifle.

It is an odd rifle but once you hold it correctly and press it to your shoulder it feels natural and a perfect Close Quarters rifle. Many people complain about the 5.7x28 being inadequate but I can never find someone willing to be a target to prove it being underpowered. In fact with 50 rounds available I would not want to be on the angry end of one.

To this date my PS-90 will be the last firearm I give up if a tank was at my door and Blackhawks hovered above.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I fell in love with the P-90 thanks to the Stargate TV show. Was at a demo for FNH with my daughter who suddenly screamed "Daddy, they have a P-90". The person behind the table was amazed that a 14 year old knew what that little rifle was, and was nice enough to let us play with it. Begged them for an ATF approved version and was thrilled when the PS-90 became available.

Bought one for myself and one for my daughter as soon as they were available. Ammo back then was $800 for a case of 2000 FNH rounds. My daughter and I burned through more than a few cases and never had an issue with either rifle.

It is an odd rifle but once you hold it correctly and press it to your shoulder it feels natural and a perfect Close Quarters rifle. Many people complain about the 5.7x28 being inadequate but I can never find someone willing to be a target to prove it being underpowered. In fact with 50 rounds available I would not want to be on the angry end of one.

To this date my PS-90 will be the last firearm I give up if a tank was at my door and Blackhawks hovered above.
    Exactly what I was looking for, pro or con. What amazes me is how the wife reacted to it. She absolutely loves the gun and for the first time in a few decades is nudging me to buy it. We have been invited to shoot it, sparingly of course this weekend. That will make the decision for us I think. Ammo supply concerns me but that is true for most things these days. Thanks for your opinion

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I currently own a gen 2 with the factory built in optic.
    Ammo is of concern, maybe you can talk the seller into a package deal to include what ammo he may have.
    They are a lot of fun to shoot.
    And to my knowledge the 5.7 is only comparable to a .22 mag when fired from a pistol.
    Launched out of a 16 inch barrel is a different story.
    Like an above poster stated, would be one of the last guns I would ever get rid of.

I read a story a few years ago of a person bound to a wheel chair, and a PS90 was his HD firearm of choice.
    Mags used to be around $25 or so and were plentiful, I have not looked for them in a few years.

full

Bullpup collection:
    Tavor FS2000 (no longer own) and PS90

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City

Exactly what I was looking for, pro or con. What amazes me is how the wife reacted to it. She absolutely loves the gun and for the first time in a few decades is nudging me to buy it. We have been invited to shoot it, sparingly of course this weekend. That will make the decision for us I think. Ammo supply concerns me but that is true for most things these days. Thanks for your opinion
    I currently own a gen 2 with the factory built in optic.
    Ammo is of concern, maybe you can talk the seller into a package deal to include what ammo he may have.
    They are a lot of fun to shoot.
    And to my knowledge the 5.7 is only comparable to a .22 mag when fired from a pistol.
    Launched out of a 16 inch barrel is a different story.
    Like an above poster stated, would be one of the last guns I would ever get rid of.

I read a story a few years ago of a person bound to a wheel chair, and a PS90 was his HD firearm of choice.
    Mags used to be around $25 or so and were plentiful, I have not looked for them in a few years.

full

Bullpup collection:
    Tavor FS2000 (no longer own) and PS90
    The seller has 150 rounds, 5 50 round magazines, a soft case with manual and tools. It has a rail on top with the UTG dot scope. so a package deal it is. He also has 100 empty cases but like most things today 5.7 reloading dies are impossible to find. Sooner or later they will catch up. I need a Specialty die (full length resizer) made for a 243 RC. In calling I found out RCBS no longer makes special order dies, they told me to call Hornady. I left a voicemail for the guy who handles such things. Been a week with no call back. The point however is that both companies had apologies or their recorded line for the delays they have on production. They are swamped evidently.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Be very careful if you try to reload the 5.7x28. They are very temperamental to the powder charge and the plastic coating is there for a reason so care must be taken when cleaning.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It’s weird to say it’s the last gun you’d give up. Until you have one. You’ll want the 5.7 pistol too.
    They are a lot of fun.
    Be careful reloading. Tricky stuff I hear.
    The original sling system if you can even find it now is weird, not a fan. I drilled into the stock to put a QD receiver in and drilled and tapped just below the factory rail to put a rail on the side, with a QD hole, this rail also holds a light. I have a Eotech exps on top, and there’s room for a magnifier.
    I would highly recommend Dan Haga’s cheek riser. Doing business on IG and FB. You still don’t have cheek weld, but at least you have chin weld, with the eotech way up there.
    Just got an email today from Midwest Gun Works and mags are 30$ish.
    My buddies were making fun of the round, so we disassembled a coyote that I head shot to kill, and he was amazed at the damage it did to the whole cranial cavity. Lots of damage.
    Try to get the fn ammo, avoid the American Eagle, especially for the pistol.
    I think that’s all I got.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    5.7 pistol is a glorified .22 mag, I wouldn't buy the pistol.
    For those that do not believe me, do a little research.
    5.7 is an awesome round as long as it is launched out of a rifle barrel.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    While comparisons to “glorified 23 mag” abound, my research showed bias in those statements in general. Not completely unearned, but still not exactly the same. I mean, when it comes to ballistics, we really split hairs, and “glorified” is glorified.
    It’s tough to find unbiased “research”. I like the ballistics, but is it worth the money? Probably not, just depends who you are.
    And by the way, there are many that would use your same words against the PS90 and the 5.7 in general when comparing it to .223.

OP, if you want to see a lot of testing on the 5.7, look up buffman on IG and I believe YT.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I have always wondered about the pistol although I have many people I know who have one and love them. I also have plenty of friends who went the SBR route with an AR platform and they love those as well. I always believe in shooting something legal and wild to see real ballistics. Numbers on a paper can be deceiving. I had a friend shoot a coyote with a 5.56 SBR, several times. Part of the problem was his lack of accuracy but the autopsy was less than impressive.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    While comparisons to “glorified 23 mag” abound, my research showed bias in those statements in general. Not completely unearned, but still not exactly the same. I mean, when it comes to ballistics, we really split hairs, and “glorified” is glorified.
    It’s tough to find unbiased “research”. I like the ballistics, but is it worth the money? Probably not, just depends who you are.
    And by the way, there are many that would use your same words against the PS90 and the 5.7 in general when comparing it to .223.

OP, if you want to see a lot of testing on the 5.7, look up buffman on IG and I believe YT.
    Thanks for the information on the Buffman information. quite well written

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    It’s weird to say it’s the last gun you’d give up. Until you have one. You’ll want the 5.7 pistol too.
    They are a lot of fun.
    Be careful reloading. Tricky stuff I hear.
    The original sling system if you can even find it now is weird, not a fan. I drilled into the stock to put a QD receiver in and drilled and tapped just below the factory rail to put a rail on the side, with a QD hole, this rail also holds a light. I have a Eotech exps on top, and there’s room for a magnifier.
    I would highly recommend Dan Haga’s cheek riser. Doing business on IG and FB. You still don’t have cheek weld, but at least you have chin weld, with the eotech way up there.
    Just got an email today from Midwest Gun Works and mags are 30$ish.
    My buddies were making fun of the round, so we disassembled a coyote that I head shot to kill, and he was amazed at the damage it did to the whole cranial cavity. Lots of damage.
    Try to get the fn ammo, avoid the American Eagle, especially for the pistol.
    I think that’s all I got.
    Autopsy's reveal much more than ballistic numbers on a page.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I believe that too, and I’ve shot plenty of yotes with a 20” barrel AR that took more than one shot. I think ammo selection is key. There’s something about velocity and finding the right balance.
    Ballistics has always fascinated me. I have observed too many human autopsies. That solved the 45 vs 9mm arguement for me forever. 9mm does its part if you do yours BUT I will always love a 45 ACP. The old adage that Accuracy is it's own reward is true in every sense. Back when I was young everyone in the rifle woods shot 30-06, 30-30 and 30-4-. There was even an old 401 Winchester woodsman. Heavy for Whitetail but they were all WWII vets, go big or go home. I found the 270, as have many others, to do far more on a deer or antelope than ballistic numbers would ever make you think it would. I have found the same with the 6mm Remington. Ballistics are fun and give plenty of room for opinions around the campfire but the proof is in the game on the ground. I agree with you completely

Top Bottom