Flying with rifle on planes, can I use a Hard Sided Luggage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    So I noticed that the TSA states a hard sided container that is locked should be used to take a gun on a plane. I am wondering if I can use a hard side luggage like this:
    hardside-luggage-28-hlg2007bu-black28-main-2018-zoom.jpg

Another thing I'm looking at is this Plano Storage Trunk:
    olive-green-plano-storage-trunks-181976-64_1000.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    “Rifle” fits in a suitcase?

Top one will likely suffice, unless its one of those expandable types with the soft zipper perimeter - some airports may interpret “hard sided” as completely hard-sided. Getting out of Indy is one thing, getting back is another (ask me how I know).

The hardened case would be perfect, but would be overkill for me, and no rollers, looks heavy, extended handle, just doesn’t look airline-travel-convenient.

Even the $40-50 hard-side long gun cases are easy to travel with, if going cheap is your goal.

Note that you CAN pack ammo by TSA rules, but “rules” by airline vary. I believe American was the most stringent, but the simplest and legal way to go is to have it in the original cardboard box (aka. “Fiber box”).

You can do a case within your suitcase, too, but either that inside case needs to be hard-sided and locked, or the outside suitcase needs to be. I found that my luggage went missing far fewer times when I had a piece in it.

Keep it short, keep it light, avoid the fees!

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I still can't get over that my luggage with handgun inside came out with everyone elses luggage on the carousel at Las Vegas. That was my first flight with a handgun checked in.
    This was an Indy to L.V. flight.

Kneedeep87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2021
    Fort wayne
    I believe you can bring your firearms in anything that is lockable. There is a specific place in the airport you bring them to be inspected before the flight. They take them there and they don't go with your other luggage. Maybe a little different from port to port, but that was my experience. I'm sure you can call and even go in, if the airport is close enough, and ask if the case is passable. I wouldn't bring the firearm until you actually want to check it. Mine went in a cheap, but durable, hard case I purchased just for that flight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I noticed that the TSA states a hard sided container that is locked should be used to take a gun on a plane. I am wondering if I can use a hard side luggage like this:
    hardside-luggage-28-hlg2007bu-black28-main-2018-zoom.jpg

It has to be lockable with non-TSA locks, and those zipper locks are TSA locks. TSA lock meaning any lock that can be opened with a TSA master key. You can put a locked container INSIDE that suitcase and be fine, but that bag by itself will not qualify.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Cheap plastic cases can be had for $50. Entry level pelicans are around $150. Why try to reinvent the wheel and get stuck missing a flight or hung up with TSA because of a zipper?
    It has to be lockable with non-TSA locks, and those zipper locks are TSA locks. TSA lock meaning any lock that can be opened with a TSA master key. You can put a locked container INSIDE that suitcase and be fine, but that bag by itself will not qualify.
    Righto, so how about the Plano field box which seem to have lock holes for regular padlocks?

Thanks.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    When I travel with a handgun, it goes in a hard sided case with an extra mag and box of ammo in it's original box. The pistol case is locked with two locks. The outside of the pistol case has a laminated business card glued to it and large label with my name and cell number.

The soft sided luggage it travels in has a plastic coated steel cable that is attached to the retractable handle frame. The other end had a loop that the pistol case locks go through. No problems yet with TSA or the airlines.

However, I have a possible trip coming up to California, that I have to do some research on. Friend is driving out to the left coast, helping his daughter move to San Jose. I volunteerd to fly out there to help him with the drive back to Indiana. I may have to get picked up in Nevada, if I cannot take my pistol to California.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I also think you must have a lock on each spot that accepts a lock. 3 holes means 3 locks. Make sure they're common keyed......

Yes, you are supposed to lock each one. But they don't have to be common keyed. The point is that it should not be "easy" to remove the firearm from the locked case (e.g. by simply prying the case open). Since no-one except you has the keys anyway, they don't matter.

I've traveled via air with a firearm many times. Sometimes no-one opens the case at all, they just xray it and put it with the luggage. Sometimes TSA has you open the case and they verify the firearm is unloaded. But once the case leaves your possession, no-one opens it. It just shows up with all the other luggage on the conveyer belt at your destination.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    2012 I few out of Louisville, declared my handgun, they checked...all good. Flew back from L.A. we had more trouble with our dog, than the gun...surprise.....they X rayed our bag, and GTG, your mileage may vary.....

Top Bottom