• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so we have never lived in a house long enough to have things the way we wanted. Decor, colors, etc always had to be neutral and appealing to a potential buyer. Now we have settled in and will be here for the foreseeable future. So yeah it’s time to do some renovations. Our kitchen has Homey Oak cabinets, large beige ceramic tile. You know all the colors that were all the rage at the time.

So now we have refinished the cabinets using an antique white chalk paint. Lots of time was spent cleaning, lightly sanding and painting them. Clearly they look like someone else did the work besides me.

so now we are ready to deal with the flooring issue. We have come across a something called loose lay vinyl planks, apparently it can be simply laid over existing flooring no muss no fuss. Looks like it has a lifetime residential warranty and 25 year commercial use warranty. The stuff is not inexpensive by any means but when factoring in the ease of installation and warranty it looks to be quite appealing.

just wondering if any one has any experience with it?

Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    it can be simply laid over existing flooring no muss no fuss.
    Is it just kind of like laminate flooring but made out of vinyl? Because a lot of laminate can be laid on top of existing flooring with (I forget the name of the stuff, but it's basically really thin foam rubberish material with a smooth outer layer).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My brother in law does flooring for a living. The only thing he recommends is vinyl plank flooring. It's by far the best long-term investment in flooring you can make. We just moved into a new home and it has laminate flooring through most of it that was recently done I can tell. It's already chipped in a few places and one panel busted when we put the fridge in. As soon as we have the money we will be hiring my BIL to lay vinyl.

I believe it can be layer over things like linoleum. But not over carpet, tile or laminate

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Haven't used it myself. No tongue and groove makes my eyebrows raise.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I used Home Depot Lifeproof vinyl plank for my bathroom addition, and we love it. It is comfortable to walk on and isn’t icy cold like tile. Installation was a breeze, too, took me about 3 hours to do a 10x20’ area.

If, and it’s a BIG if, your tile is really nice and flat, you might be able to get away with installing the vinyl plank over it, but if it were me, I’d probably opt to tear up the tile and put down a smooth layer of luan. The vinyl will cover some imperfections in the floor below it, but you might actually feel and see some of the bigger imperfections.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Is it just kind of like laminate flooring but made out of vinyl? Because a lot of laminate can be laid on top of existing flooring with (I forget the name of the stuff, but it's basically really thin foam rubberish material with a smooth outer layer).
    it is really heavy, and it has an underlayment on the back of it. It appears a lot of the new construction homes around here are using it.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I used Home Depot Lifeproof vinyl plank for my bathroom addition, and we love it. It is comfortable to walk on and isn’t icy cold like tile. Installation was a breeze, too, took me about 3 hours to do a 10x20’ area.

If, and it’s a BIG if, your tile is really nice and flat, you might be able to get away with installing the vinyl plank over it, but if it were me, I’d probably opt to tear up the tile and put down a smooth layer of luan. The vinyl will cover some imperfections in the floor below it, but you might actually feel and see some of the bigger imperfections.
    According to,the manufactures installation guidelines it can be installed aver any rigid flat surface as long as there is no debris on the existing flooring.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    it is really heavy, and it has an underpayment on the back of it. It appears a lot of the new construction homes around here are using it.
    It sounds like the same product that others have mentioned but it may require some prep, depending on your current flooring surface.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    According to,the manufactures installation guidelines it can be installed aver any rigid flat surface as long as there is no debris on the existing flooring.
    I guess it depends on the definition of "flat". Is tile with grout lines "flat" or is smooth linoleum with no grout lines "flat"?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

If all goes well we are wanting to install over the tile. We want to hold off on doing major demo as our plan was to replace cabinets at a later date. But that was before the refinish project was done. Honestly we were hoping it would turn out well enough just to get by for a bit, but the outcome was much better than we expected. So we may just do the floor and enjoy things being the way we like it for a while.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Will your baseboards and trim, doors, etc allow for the added floor on top of the old?
    We have vinyl plank and love it. We did have the old flooring removed first.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Will your baseboards and trim, doors, etc allow for the added floor on top of the old?
    We have vinyl plank and love it. We did have the old flooring removed first.
    Yes we plan on removing the old shoe molding and replacing. There is a transition strip from the hardwood floor that is adjacent to tile. As it sits now the tile is perhaps a few millimeters lower than the hardwood and the sample we brought home would make the transition level. Which is a huge selling point for me. Also we have a sliding door that goes to the deck, and one utility room door which has plenty of cleAran e at the bottom of the door. I think if we go this route we will carry the floor into the utility room so that it is uniform.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    We removed the plank type flooring which was on top of linoleum and put in good ceramic tile in most of the first floor. Had a tile guy lay the tile, did excellent work. I removed all the old floors and cabinets so the cabinets would be on top of the new flooring. Before he came, I went and screwed the subfloor about every 8” and eliminated 99% of the squeaks. With the new under lament used the tiles feel somewhat warm, not heated warm, but not the cold that tiles normally feel. We were going to have electric heat under a good portion of the tile, but now I am glad we saved that expense. I tiled half the basement myself several yeas ago, and the other half was carpet. We recently replaced the carpet with a good quality vinyl plank and we are real happy. Their quality and realistic looks have come a long way compared to the stuff I removed. The installer had to pour some thin set in one area. Just being old school I prefer ceramic, or solid wood, in the main living areas of the house over vinyl. We got the tile and vinyl from local non big box stores. The employees at least at the stores I went to were knowledgeable and even I learned some things.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    There are several types of under layment out there and grades. Your plank have the rubber pad under it?? Highly recommend that. We just did about 600 square feet of it and it looks great. Got floored thread. Good luck with the project and buy the tools to install. Will save a lot of headaches

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Check into a product called COREtec. It is not cheap, like $6-7 per sq foot, but man is it good stuff! No need to acclimate, can be under water for days and will still be like new, has cork backer and is a LVT, luxury vinyl tile. Don't buy it from carpet store though, try to get it from a distributor like georgia carpet.

Top Bottom