• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm looking a new floor Jack, I am FAR from a weekend shade tree mechanic but I don't do commercial work, The point is it's my dime, I'm not spending $500 on a floor jack, but I want a good value, I work on everything from low slung BMW's to 3/4 ton Pickups, I like the fast pump style, I don't need all alum. but lighter is better, but I have a lift so that the heavy lifting is done by it but I also need the floor jack for lifting transmissions, gas tanks, ect.

I'm looking at this, but I'm willing to take experienced suggestions

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80106/10002/-1

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I believe the same people that build that jack build the Pittsburgh Jacks at Harbor Freight. I bought one from HF decent jack, low profile, high lift. Solid construction and looks simple to rebuild. Mine is 2 piston quick action. I can post some pics tomorrow if you want. Plus you can buy 2 and have around. I think I got mine for 130 on sale

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you get the harbor freight then get the 2 year warranty with it. If you have any problems they will replace it for free if you get the warranty. If you are doing the work you talk about if could be well worth it.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I've never had a fast pump, but for me, a low profile is a must. The min height on that one is a deal breaker for me. I deal with bmw's a lot also. my main floor jack is a 3 ton low profile and i have blocking if need be. And i have a small aluminum one for supplement.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I went with the 2 ton because the biggest thing I'll be using it on is 3/4t pickup, and the 2 ton had a couple inches extra lift over 3 ton. 5 years old, doesn't drift any.

IMG-20201102-130324806.jpg

IMG-20201102-130357548.jpg

IMG-20201102-130605049.jpg

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    NAPA floor jack PartNumber 791-6420. It is a 3.5 ton jack I have one works well. Lifted corvettes to 1ton Chevy duallies. I work on stuff at home it does what I want it to.

Last edited:

TitanUp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Carmel
    I picked up a hybrid jack from Costco. I believe the brand is Arcan? I’m a professional mechanic but wanted a jack decent enough for home use as well since I do a lot of side work at home on people’s car (gotta pay for those expensive hobbies). I believe it was right around $100 for a 2.5 ton. I’ve been extremely pleased with it so far but at the same time I know a lot of people don’t have a Costco membership.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I needed a new general purpose floor jack about 2 years ago and went with a Banner 3.5 ton, which I mostly like other than I hate the quick pump (just personal preference... it seems high effort once you get to the lifting point with it). I have an HFT low profile as well and use both. The lo-pro sucks for taller trucks and the Banner sucks for sports cars, so together they make a good team. The way I prefer to lift vehicles is a jack on the left and one on the right (per end, one end at a time) so I use them both nearly every time anyhow.

FWIW, the Banner is twice the jack as the old school orange HFT jack it replaced. I think the shipping weight was like 98lbs. It's a tank and its built well enough to actually bother with rebuilding the seals and such if that day ever comes.

are there any Non Chinese/Mexican made jacks out there

US Jack, and one other company whose name escapes me, is all that is left anymore. All of the big names of the past (Hein Werner, Lincoln, Banner, etc) have moved out of the US for the most part. Exceptions on a per-product basis likely apply to all manufacturers.

Top Bottom