• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VulpesForge

Marksman
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere

It's a little bit of a silly medium, but I hadn't seen many ballistics gel tests done with black powder and a ball and thought this may be interesting to some of you.

The Tl;Dr is that they're amazingly powerful within 100 yards or so and they fairly closely resemble the damage from a 1oz 12 gauge shotgun slug.

With a little understanding of the qualities of soft lead and the approximate velocities and weights, this shouldn't be terribly surprising, but it was still quite interesting to see.

WillH

Plinker
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I watched that video the other night and was really surprised (perhaps ignorantly) at just how powerful a .54 round ball is. Really impressive how hard it hits

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I watched that video the other night and was really surprised (perhaps ignorantly) at just how powerful a .54 round ball is. Really impressive how hard it hits
    Twenty years ago I shot a doe at point blank range (10') with a .50cal muzzleloader.
    I was sitting behind a fallen tree root ball.
    The doe walked up from behind and was dead even with me when I raised the muzzle.
    She saw me at the last second and stood up on her hind legs to turn around when I hit her square in the breast bone.
    It flipped her over on her back like a rag doll.

I was astounded at how hard it hit.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yup. Lead round balls in the original calibers are insane against unarmored human targets.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Soft lead cast bullets in black powder cartridge arms are hard hitters. I use soft lead hollow base bullets in my 41 Colt 1877 revolvers, probably should do some sort of test someday to see how much they flatten out.

Top Bottom