• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a slight astigmatism which, as you probably know, causes red dots to have irregular shapes. I heard about this 'fix' in one of the podcasts I listen to and was curious if anyone had tried something similar. I don't have a 3d printer but if it works, I would track one down or pay for a printing service.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a slight astigmatism which, as you probably know, causes red dots to have irregular shapes. I heard about this 'fix' in one of the podcasts I listen to and was curious if anyone had tried something similar. I don't have a 3d printer but if it works, I would track one down or pay for a printing service.

I have astigmatism also its on the bad side. What I found was that getting a circle dot style reticle eliminated the majority of my problem.

1631537332444.png

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I believe the concept increases the depth of field, kinda like a pinhole camera. I saw this effect when trying to sharpen the target view when shooting national match rifle course. All the NM guns will have tiny (usually adjustable) apertures. Also helps sharpen the front sight. I can print you a couple to try out, just message me a mailing address if interested. If anyone else wants one, I will print a batch.

Also, if you have a color preference, i will try to accommodate

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I also have / had the 'tism.

I didn't have any issues seeing dots when I would wear my corrective lenses.

But then I thought to myself "Self, why don't you go ahead and get that fancy surgery where they put laser beams into your eyeballs so's then you don't have to wear those glasses no more."

So I did. I'm 13 months removed from that surgery.

And now the dots are blurry still... *sigh*

My advice: wear your corrective lenses or get prism / prismatic dots vs holographic dots.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Looks like you would lose some of the speed and ease of use advantages of the red dot. You will have to keep your line of sight centered to take advantage of the aperture.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021

But then I thought to myself "Self, why don't you go ahead and get that fancy surgery where they put laser beams into your eyeballs so's then you don't have to wear those glasses no more."

My advice: wear your corrective lenses or get prism / prismatic dots vs holographic dots.
    Just out of curiosity, has your vision overall improved? I wonder if it is an issue with your eye not being able to accommodate for the distance. Also, have you looked at other dots? I know there are optics out there that suffer from bursty looking dots and it's not just the cheap ones

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just out of curiosity, has your vision overall improved? I wonder if it is an issue with your eye not being able to accommodate for the distance. Also, have you looked at other dots? I know there are optics out there that suffer from bursty looking dots and it's not just the cheap ones
    my overall vision has definitely improved. Though now I need reading glasses to prevent eye strain as I sit at a computer all day.

I have a cheap Primary Arms micro dot (1st gen!), a low-middle tier Burris FF III, and I have a Trijicon RMR type 2. All the dots look about the same. None of them are super crisp, but none of them are unworkable amorphous blobs, either.

I've said it before: even a blurry dot is more better than no dot.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I had the LASIK done about 7 years ago - didn't help the astigmatism any. Its now wearing off and I'm starting to lose my far vision in both eyes. I guess it might be worthwhile looking into glasses that have the correction.

I agree with the previous post about the reticle type. It seems much worse on my aimpoint pro with single dot than it does on my holosun 512 with the dot and circle.

@Altrex I appreciate the offer. Let me look at the drawing and see if that will fit on the aimpoint. I'm not sure if they are the same size or not.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I had the LASIK done about 7 years ago - didn't help the astigmatism any. Its now wearing off and I'm starting to lose my far vision in both eyes. I guess it might be worthwhile looking into glasses that have the correction.

I agree with the previous post about the reticle type. It seems much worse on my aimpoint pro with single dot than it does on my holosun 512 with the dot and circle.

@Altrex I appreciate the offer. Let me look at the drawing and see if that will fit on the aimpoint. I'm not sure if they are the same size or not.
    Sounds good. If you have a flip lens cover we could likely put it inside like a washer

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Cool that you are using Fusion also. I am guessing it imported in inches instead of mm

I'm still learning it. I used to use an app called dolphin for my CNC mill but my version stopped working and they wanted 500+ to renew so I decided to switch over.

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I'm still learning it. I used to use an app called dolphin for my CNC mill but my version stopped working and they wanted 500+ to renew so I decided to switch over.
    I am still learning it as well. I only design with it though, haven't driven any machines directly. I use slicers to generate the gcode for the printers and estlecam for my cnc router.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

This one may work better.
    The gen 1 version's been discontinued for a bit, but the Gen2 is in stock at AA optics: https://aaoptics.com/SPITFIRE™-AR-PRISM-SCOPE_p_133.html
    • The buttons on the Gen2 are similar to my UH-1, which I like but I haven't used under any stress.
    • If a lower to the receiver design is desired, EuroOptic has the Gen1 on clearance from which the spacer in the middle can be removed. I've got one that's just waiting on my slow butt to assemble the upper (handguard and barrel nut should come any day now).
    Just holding the Spitfire up by hand, I could scope out a rabbit pretty cleanly at 40+ yd (front door, across the street, and in the gap between houses in my suburban area). The DRT seems pretty sweet pre-testing. We'll see how it does on Whitetail in a couple months...

I appreciate the aperture approach to lend some universality to the dot sights. If the red dot is close enough, it shouldn't hurt target acquisition too much (assuming you don't plan to shoot off-axis). It would probably be worthwhile if already owning a 3d printer & the red dot.

If buying new and wanting an enclosed red dot sight, I'm not sure add-ons would outweigh the ease of just buying a prism... No starring of a dot irrespective of illumination setting & etched reticle for non-illuminated operation (or rapidly changing light conditions like hunting at dawn). Between old stock clearances, AA's competitive pricing on current Vortex models, and European & American-made (and priced $$$) prisms, there's a decent prism option for just about every budget.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My astigmatism (SP?) seems to be worse with my cheaper red dots. My 2 Holosuns are fine, especially with the circle dot setting. My Trijicon RM07 is great unless I have the brightness turned way up. As a general rule, I shoot the dot on just bright enough I can clearly see it, and I don't have alot of issues.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

the laser is good.
    but the refractive lens replacement is better.

unfortunately, i have flares now at night and low light conditions.

but i can see for miles during daytime.

and they fixed my astigmatism completely.

Top Bottom