• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I just got back into fishing (10+ year hiatus) this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good fishing spot in the Westfield/Carmel area. There are a lot of neighborhood "ponds," but was wondering if there are some better spots. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I caught 4 bass in Village Farms yesterday. Small, but still fun after such a long hiatus.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    146TH ST bridge over the White river, several shallow areas to wade fish, and a clear bank on the west side which is friendly to my flyrod.

116th ST bridge over the White river, several shallow areas to wade fish, and a clear bank on the East side.

North of Westfield, the pond at Porter Engineered Systems is stocked with catfish I'm told, never have fished it.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    146TH ST bridge over the White river, several shallow areas to wade fish, and a clear bank on the west side which is friendly to my flyrod.

116th ST bridge over the White river, several shallow areas to wade fish, and a clear bank on the East side.

North of Westfield, the pond at Porter Engineered Systems is stocked with catfish I'm told, never have fished it.

How have we not run into each other??? I kayak around there alllll the time during the summers. I catfish there at night too!

Also try potters bridge in noblesville

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've pulled out 30-40 1-2 pounders, at least a dozen at 5+, and one that was weighed and witnessed at 7.94lbs out of retaining ponds in the Westfield area. If you can put up with the slop in a lot of them, there's good fishing to be had. Lots of bluegill in them too for the kids. Most ponds up there are well managed.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    The village farms ponds were drained and dredged about 8-10 years ago. At least the ponds on the west side of Oak Ridge Rd were. I was there, you should have seen all the fish they gathered and hauled away to a private pond. Any way I live in Noblesville and the White River is starting to develop nicely for small mouth and other game fish. I talked with a friend who caught a 6lb Saugeye last fall, they were strocked after the fish kill. Any way take a float trip and check it out.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've pulled out 30-40 1-2 pounders, at least a dozen at 5+, and one that was weighed and witnessed at 7.94lbs out of retaining ponds in the Westfield area.

Which ones?

The village farms ponds were drained and dredged about 8-10 years ago. At least the ponds on the west side of Oak Ridge Rd were. I was there, you should have seen all the fish they gathered and hauled away to a private pond.

I did not know that.

Been there, done that about 10 years ago. It was the worst fishing I've ever seen. Thanks for the reply, though.

I think I may have found a new spot. After I scope it out a little more I will give it a :yesway: or :noway:. Went for about 20 mins. yesterday, caught one ~2 lbs. and had numerous bites. It's kind of sloppy though.

Thanks all for your replies.

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    There is a very nice pond at Ditch and 171st I go to. It is on the east side of Ditch across from Maple Glenn Elementary School.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    There is a very nice pond at Ditch and 171st I go to. It is on the east side of Ditch across from Maple Glenn Elementary School.

I might drive by that pond everyday. Do you by chance know who owns it? I've thought about fishing there but didn't know if it was private property or not.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was told last week that the retention pond in Morse Point sub division off of SR 38 in Noblesville has some really good and large fish in it. It is not the one at the entrance, but there are two retention ponds inside the sub. I don't know which one it was but there are only 2 other ponds. One is on the north side of Bird Key Drive and the other is on the south side of it.

map rocky beach drive, noblesville, IN - Google Maps

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    The neighborhood ponds are where its at for Indiana fishing! I've personally caught 4 lb bass and 9 lb catfish, plus spots where every cast gets swarmed by bluegill. I've seen 7 lb bass pulled from these neighborhood retention ponds. I quit messing with the big resevoirs and rivers, nothing can hold a candle to those dinky little ponds!

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Morse lake offers very good fishing < large mouth bass , blue gill , crappie , channel cat and redear , even pearch and white bass if you can find them

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Boone County has a good sized pond at the junction of I-65 and C.R. 400 (IN-267)

Northwest side of the exchange.

The subdivision ponds are generally sweet, though. At least the established ones.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Went to 146th today after reading this.
    I have no clue what I'm doing, but managed to catch (and release) this guy. Tiny little thing, but enough to make my afternoon.
    IMG00003-20100512-1716.jpg

Brought the dog too. He hates baths, but jumped into the river without hesitation.
    Go figure.
    IMG00004-20100512-1718.jpg

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just thought I'd update this thread. I went to Village Farms yesterday to do some fishing after work. Caught a 1 lb. large-mouth on a Texas rig worm. Then noticed they were feeding on top. Went to change baits, but damn, no plugs, buzz baits, poppers, etc. What to do, I thought. Grabbed a buoyant jerk bait, thought, what the hell. On my first cast, I was testing the movement/action of different retrieves about 6' off the bank, then BAM. 4-pounder nailed it. Gotta love those top-water strikes.

Today, I went back to try my luck again. I was there a little earlier. Didn't get any bites on the jerk bait, but switched to a plastic frog. Had one bite (missed it), then started experimenting with my retrieves. Ended up catching 2 two pounders and 1 three+ pounder. Pretty good day.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check out a different spot. Will take my camera, and let y'all know how it goes.

s4280390

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2021
    Westfield

What bodies of water feed the neighborhood ponds in Westfield and Carmel? Are they safe for dogs to jump in? I get worried about blue-green algae.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    What bodies of water feed the neighborhood ponds in Westfield and Carmel? Are they safe for dogs to jump in? I get worried about blue-green algae.
    Run off from the neighborhoods is the source for the retention ponds.
    Most have steep banks under the waterline so be aware.
    Most get treated by pond maintenance companies for algae.

Top Bottom