• ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Thanks for the info.

And yeah, that much pressure would be no fun. I'm used to maybe seeing one other person all day when fly fishing.
    Now I will say if you get there and it is packed...head downstream 1/4 mile on the trail along the creek and you should be good. Most guys don't want to take that treck in waders...can't blame them but should get you to fresher waters.

Also..white is the color that has been showing promise. Fly guys I talked to had success on white streamers.

Mine came on a 1/4 oz jig with a white twister tail.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm NE Indy. I bought some fishing gear and I like driving. Where can I go within 90 minutes tomorrow to go fishing?

Research the closest public access waterway to you that has decent bank fishing. Make friends with fishermen that are bank fishing. If there is a boat ramp, a lot of those folks love to talk also.

Don't be afraid to scout with or without gear, but stick as close to home as you can. You can certainly make a lot of progress with a beverage in hand, rather than a fishing pole. Even short trips after work, with no intention of fishing, can be productive for information.

You are gonna want short trips to test the waters, so to speak. Even great fishing waters can suck, when it's your day to be there. If you are close to home, one of those dead days isn't a total loss from hours of investment in driving, planning, etc. Go home and do chores to try again tomorrow, which is easy to say yes to when you can be in and out quick. :twocents:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I think the pan fish have left my area for bedding/spawning areas. The last couple batches I have cleaned didn’t show progress in egg formation, etc. However all I have caught of late are a very few small gills. It is time by calendar but with the weather we have had I don’t think water temps have increased much of late to advance things. I’ll continue to “check” my shore spots and bay area ( in kayak) off and on but think most fishing will need to be by boat from here on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll thread jack for a minute reference my strange fishing experience on Friday afternoon, if you all will allow?

I was about to head for home, when I seen a "beaver" swimming way out in the lake. It's fairly rare, but still do see them on occasion here. This one looked strange and big.

I gave the critter a look with my monocular, only to discover that it was a dog swimming. Where it could only have came from, it had to have swam literally hundreds of yards. It came to the bank 75-ish yards from me, so I headed for it expecting it to be exhausted or stressed. I hollered and whistled at the dog. It looked at me and trotted off the other direction, like the swim was no big deal? :dunno:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I brought home 8 respectable crappie and gave away another 5 on Friday. I had to hike a ways to find the better fish. They were nearly not existent and small at the regular spots. View attachment 198054
    Crappies in our area have been strange all year. Some good channel action on numerous lakes first ice. But since then cannot confirm anyone that has done real good anywhere. The population on our lake is way down ( by DNR fish counts ) but I only caught 5 all spring - 2 that were 10-11” Others smaller. Usually I can find some somewhere in nearby areas by kayak, especially now that lilly pads are growing. Week ago a neighbor stopped by, said he heard someone claiming to be killing the crappies on our lake, thought must be me. Not sure if true or just jerking my chain but it definitely was not me.

Nothing wrong with a 12”er. Would not have thought that large without the tape. Big belly…still eggs ?

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I'll thread jack for a minute reference my strange fishing experience on Friday afternoon, if you all will allow?

I was about to head for home, when I seen a "beaver" swimming way out in the lake. It's fairly rare, but still do see them on occasion here. This one looked strange and big.

I gave the critter a look with my monocular, only to discover that it was a dog swimming. Where it could only have came from, it had to have swam literally hundreds of yards. It came to the bank 75-ish yards from me, so I headed for it expecting it to be exhausted or stressed. I hollered and whistled at the dog. It looked at me and trotted off the other direction, like the swim was no big deal? :dunno:
    Certainly dogs that are capable but I have never seen one go that far. Retriever, Newfoundland, others. Must have had a reason

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Crappies in our area have been strange all year. Some good channel action on numerous lakes first ice. But since then cannot confirm anyone that has done real good anywhere. The population on our lake is way down ( by DNR fish counts ) but I only caught 5 all spring - 2 that were 10-11” Others smaller. Usually I can find some somewhere in nearby areas by kayak, especially now that lilly pads are growing. Week ago a neighbor stopped by, said he heard someone claiming to be killing the crappies on our lake, thought must be me. Not sure if true or just jerking my chain but it definitely was not me.

Nothing wrong with a 12”er. Would not have thought that large without the tape. Big belly…still eggs ?

They haven't bedded here yet. The water has been cold until recently. Night temps have only warmed in the last few days. The big one was the only one with eggs.

I just put the fillets in the freezer. Had two pounds of meat from 8 fish.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Certainly dogs that are capable but I have never seen one go that far. Retriever, Newfoundland, others. Must have had a reason
    This was some long legged, short haired hound. It looked like our neighborhood beagle, half-again bigger, with long legs.

Top Bottom