• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I'm wanting to get into waterfowl hunting but have never been. I read recently there's a Veteran's Waterfowl weekend in October. I'm half considering borrowing a canoe and getting some decoys and trying to hunt on Monroe or something. Any recommendations on how to get started?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would start by familiarizing myself with the current regulations.
    They do change occasionally, especially on certain waterways.
    Next I would say try YouTube.

I am not a waterfowl hunter, but taught myself to hunt squirrel and rabbit at a young age.
    I taught myself to hunt deer in my early '20's and this year took my first wild turkey.

Again though, I would get to know the rules front to back, BEFORE I started hunting.

That's just me.
    Ymmv
    Good luck

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've considered hunting out of a canoe before. I'd like to float a river and jump shoot.

I read something in a article about canoe hunting that keep echoing in my head. If you hunt out of a canoe, you better be very good at canoeing or very good at swimming. First time you shoot one of those things is happening

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Waterfowl is the ONE thing I haven’t attempted …….. definitely an intimidating endeavor going into it blind with the start up cost and the MANY regulations. Good luck to you. They have GOT to be easier to shoot than a dove lol

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I love waterfowl but seems good places to hunt them are hard to find.. Nd its annoying driving through the city of Columbus seeing all the banded geese just hang out lol

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I love waterfowl but seems good places to hunt them are hard to find.. Nd its annoying driving through the city of Columbus seeing all the banded geese just hang out lol

Finding birds will with permission to set up on is definitely the hardest part. You can have the worlds greatest spread, and have the top 3 callers in the world in a blind, and if the birds don't want to be there, they wont work. Indiana is not one of the great waterfowl states in the US.

I got started with a group of buddies who had been doing it for years. Even they are starting to hand up their waders, and give up due to the lack of birds (far east side of the state). I've always said, if you waterfowl in Indiana, you ARE a hardcore waterfowl hunter. We spend weeks seeing the amount of birds someone from Illinois sees in an hour. For me its became more of a "I don't have anything else going on" type hunt than a "I have to get on this" type hunt. I bought used decoys, cheapest layout etc" and I'm still into the came for a pretty penny. The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze in my area, but its something to do outside of coyote hunt that time of year.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Finding birds will with permission to set up on is definitely the hardest part. You can have the worlds greatest spread, and have the top 3 callers in the world in a blind, and if the birds don't want to be there, they wont work. Indiana is not one of the great waterfowl states in the US.

I got started with a group of buddies who had been doing it for years. Even they are starting to hand up their waders, and give up due to the lack of birds (far east side of the state). I've always said, if you waterfowl in Indiana, you ARE a hardcore waterfowl hunter. We spend weeks seeing the amount of birds someone from Illinois sees in an hour. For me its became more of a "I don't have anything else going on" type hunt than a "I have to get on this" type hunt. I bought used decoys, cheapest layout etc" and I'm still into the came for a pretty penny. The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze in my area, but its something to do outside of coyote hunt that time of year.
    This describes it perfectly in indiana.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I am getting back into it myself. A canoe will be fine as long as it is a very steady unit. When I was a kid we hunted out of Coleman scanoes regularly and never had an issue. I will be buying an old town soon to start using. If they are good for Alaskan moose i assume they can handle ducks in Indiana. Start familiarizing yourself with the regulations as you will most likely be checked while hunting. Duck has a lot of regulation. Start scouting various public lands. This is not a learn as you go kind of thing. You have to put in the legwork or you will not be successful. All the properties have maps and you can get a feel for the areas now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Long time waterfowler here though I am retired from it now. Grew up hunting mostly in Saginaw Bay area of Michigan.

"the islands and bays for sportsman"-Gordon Lightfoot.

I can't imagine hunting out of a canoe though. We hunted out of Jon boats, something with a flat bottom for stability. In later years we built elaborate blinds on the boats.

I loved waterfowl hunting because you could talk and eat and fart and it didn't matter as long as you stopped doing it when the ducks/geese came in.

We usually put out about 100-150 decoys and then started calling them in.

I have lifetime memories and stories of my waterfowl hunting.

I would encourage you to take it up but not with a canoe.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Josey you don’t need many decoys in October. Maybe a half dozen. Hiding is more important than anything and blending into your surroundings.
    Take a look at Northfork and Stillwater there at Monroe. You may have a better crack at a few ducks on the marsh.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I have geese that routinely fly over me………….. small yard not very clear but it is an opening. Think if I bought a few decoys and sat out there with a call I’d have any luck? I have no idea how geese operate. (I know only one way to find out and all that) just wanted to ask if it is a list cause I’d rather not sink the cash I know people set up in fields like that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I have geese that routinely fly over me………….. small yard not very clear but it is an opening. Think if I bought a few decoys and sat out there with a call I’d have any luck? I have no idea how geese operate. (I know only one way to find out and all that) just wanted to ask if it is a list cause I’d rather not sink the cash I know people set up in fields like that.

I highly doubt they would even look at you.

In my experience when birds leave the Roost they know exactly where they are headed. You might be able to change there mind 50-100 yards, but not miles.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran a reg full choke 1100 magnum w Bismuth 3 inch #2.
    Dropped geese like wet wash rags.
    Those shells were $17 for ten rounds back when Galyans was still in biz. Now theyre 27 bucks for same.

I did get an 870.Supermag w choketubes, and a diff 1100 magnum w choketube bbl..... and have some Blindside and Heavy Steel but havent gone goose hunting since.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I suggest visiting a state fish & wildlife area and hunting there vs trying to locate them, especially at a large place like Monroe. As others have said there just isn’t that many ducks here (most of Indiana) and hunting somewhere managed specifically for waterfowl is where you’ll likely see them, if lucky. I’ve been to Goose Pond FWA (one of the best spots in the state), Monroe’s Stillwater marsh and lake proper, and many places throughout the Hoosier Nat’l Forest and state forests. Most times I’ve been out I have not seen a single waterfowl within range. A benefit though is you’re usually hunting in a beautiful place with a great view. Although it isn’t often successful I think waterfowling is a great excuse to get out and visit our public lands.

Top Bottom