First time truck owner, have a question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    IIRC, the package that includes all those lights and wheels also relocates the gear shift so it's protruding from the driver's seat because, you know...:gheyhi:

OP, congratulations on your truck. I've had my 03 Tundra for more than 15 years, I'll be sad when I have to replace it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    IIRC, the package that includes all those lights and wheels also relocates the gear shift so it's protruding from the driver's seat because, you know...:gheyhi:

OP, congratulations on your truck. I've had my 03 Tundra for more than 15 years, I'll be sad when I have to replace it.
    Well that explains why I shift gears every time I fart.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got the 2014 Challenger 5.7 and 2018 Ram Sport 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed auto and 3.92 gears....both came from dealers so I figured they stole the Trump flags already. Both have been flawless to drive. The Ram has more bells and whistles than I need. The only problems are about 4% get the bad hemi tick....there is 3 hemi ticks....the usual sewing machine kind not very loud which is the good one if you have to have one, the Challenger has had it since I got it, with the louder pipes you never hear it now.The 2nd tick is the exhaust manifold bolts breaking, ticks until warmed up and the 3rd is when a lifter goes out and eats the cam. Its a crap shoot. My Ram being a 4x4 with 3.92 gears still gets me 18-19 mpg which I thought was impressive. Good luck and enjoy your truck!!!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c7.jpeg
      fullsizeoutput_1c7.jpeg
      4.5 MB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Trucks are mighty handy when you need one. I'm still waiting for my 2018 Ford F-150 (which I purchased new from Heritage Ford) to turn 10,000 miles for it's next service. Mine's a 4x4 Supercrew. The 3.5L Ecoboost engine is the bomb! Everyone who rides in it, loves it! Aluminum doesn't rust!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Ford 6.2 SD’s are also known for an engine tick. Usually nothing to worry about at least on the Fords.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Nice truck...for a youngster.

I like what I call "old man" trucks.

Bug deflector, window vent shades, running boards...on a stock-height truck (extra points if all are all chrome), color a shade of brown or gold, stock sound system, cloth seats, stock exhaust, no useless CAI, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This happened to a friend of mine.
    New motor needed.

It had something to do with a fuel saving feature?

Opinons vary on if MDS is a contributing factor or not. Use a quality synthetic oil, 5k change intervals, and while your odds of cam failure aren't 0% they are pretty low.

Folks on Ramforum with hemi tick have often said this fixed it: https://www.lubegard.com/products/biotech/

Mine has never developed the noise, so I've not bothered.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This happened to a friend of mine.
    New motor needed.

It had something to do with a fuel saving feature?
    That would be the MDS but its not the reason. The reason is just lifter failure, poor quality control. Usually if guys can replace and fix they will put in Hellcat lifters. Guy that worked for Dodge for years has a you tube channel, has looked at MDS, different oil, if its the oil passages.....final conclusion, just bad lifter. Why don't they change or make better and solve the problem? To do so would admit a problem and then recall and $$$$$$....as long as the % stays low they don't see the need to lose $$$$$.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Problem solved:

View attachment 159269

What wheel-well rust?

This is my 2007 with a 5.3L and the "dreaded" AFM- this is it loaded with broken concrete a few years ago. It now has 216,000+ miles and has never had a significant engine or trans repair.
    We looked at these and thought it would work. My middle son was driving it at the time and as they say, he went in a different direction and sold the truck.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No, but it does corrode. Wait until you get to meet exfoliation corrosion...
    6qcKKiE.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those MDS engines have the fanciest tappets I've ever seen. I remember when they were just a slug of metal and you adjusted the valves on top.

Top Bottom