• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    So I've been ready to form 1 a lower I just got for a couple weeks almost but I'm unsure of a few things.

First being the caliber listing. I intended on using several different uppers but read that I can only put one in the box. What do I do if I want to use a 300BO upper later on?

Also, regarding barrel length and overall length questions - what do I do with that? Someone elsewhere said you can send a letter to the ATF later on saying you intend on putting a different length upper on the lower and they'll send a letter back allowing it?

And how am I supposed to measure the OAL with a collapsible stock? Shortest position to end of muzzle device? Longest? It's almost like they want me to assemble it illegally to measure it so I get it on the dot measured right.

I was going to file the stamp now and then build the upper while I wait but without the measurements I don't think I can even file the stamp? Has anyone else done it this way? How did you approach doing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated - I really want to get on this before the flood of new form 1s make the backlog a year long due to the pistol brace issue.

Edit: also what about changing muzzle devices later on? Is this a no no or will this require a letter to the ATF beforehand again?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tagging for interest. Considering going this direction for my AR Pistol that is currently a PCC using a magwell adapter, so the multi caliber issue is a question I had as well.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    As I understand it, they are waiving the $200 tax. I was thinking or registering my current 16.5" as an sbr since it's free. I would have the same questions.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    So I've been ready to form 1 a lower I just got for a couple weeks almost but I'm unsure of a few things.

First being the caliber listing. I intended on using several different uppers but read that I can only put one in the box. What do I do if I want to use a 300BO upper later on?
    List the caliber/upper that you will initially assemble or will be used the majority of the time (in your estimation). I prefer to list the shortest upper that will be used, and is on hand at the time of filing.
    Also, regarding barrel length and overall length questions - what do I do with that? Someone elsewhere said you can send a letter to the ATF later on saying you intend on putting a different length upper on the lower and they'll send a letter back allowing it?
    You need not notify the BATFE of anything, unless you're making a permanent change (such as removing the weapon from the SBR category, or moving to another state.

And how am I supposed to measure the OAL with a collapsible stock? Shortest position to end of muzzle device? Longest? It's almost like they want me to assemble it illegally to measure it so I get it on the dot measured right.
    Shortest possible setting. Honestly, the numbers aren't all that important. They won't hang you if you're a half inch off. So here's the easy way. Measure an AR, any AR that has a similar stock and a known barrel length. Measure with the stock fully collapsed, both to the end of the lower (front of magwell) and to the end of the barrel. Say it has an 18" barrel, and you want to use a 10.5. Just subtract 7.5" from overall length. Conversely, you have the length of a collapsed lower, now add the length of the upper, measured from the front of the magwell to the end of the barrel. Don't include muzzle devices, unless they're permanent, as in pinned and welded.
    I was going to file the stamp now and then build the upper while I wait but without the measurements I don't think I can even file the stamp? Has anyone else done it this way? How did you approach doing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated - I really want to get on this before the flood of new form 1s make the backlog a year long due to the pistol brace issue.
    When I can access my stamps I'll send you the base measurements I used.
    Edit: also what about changing muzzle devices later on? Is this a no no or will this require a letter to the ATF beforehand again?
    They make no difference, unless permanent. No letter required.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    (Here it is change of question mid question INGO style)

FIRST QUESTION:
    Having a couple of TC contenders frames and lots of short barrels pistol barrels several stocks and accessories. I could in effect stamp one frame as a SBR for free with the stamp? (I have zero pistol braces) the other frame could still be rifle or handgun and is free to walk the earth Like Caine in kung fu. The second frame with a laser engraving and stamp could shoot any of the pistol barrels with a rifle stock attached. could pick up any pistol brace soon for free even maybe within 120 days also as if you were to use a brace on a handgun a heavy kicking contender barrel could be used as designed. So free/free.

SECOND QUESTION:
    So free tax stamp but now can I use it for pest control or hunting in Indiana? Sure would make a handy little hunting platform or farm gun.
    Let’s say 200 more for a suppression device stamp 10 inch pistol barrel nice scope folding stock and a sling. Should be looking at dropping like 5 tree rats under a single tree. Would not just be a range toy.

THIRD QUESTION:
    What “rights” does one sign away with the Stamp. I remember not getting a “C and R“ because of the “ right to inspect” language used.
    what I am always required to have and what can one not do?

AEV Jeep Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have the same questions. Can you change uppers with different barrel lengths on a SBR with out updating the tax stamp information. All barrel lengths are below 16 inches

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've heard using "Multiple" for caliber listing can give you variety in use.

If you unsure about stuff find a good lawyer, or find a credible article online.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    From what I've found on another website someone said that at the bottom of the form there's like a 'notes' section and you can put in there other calibers and barrel lengths and be good to go

Has anyone done it this way?

They also mentioned putting "multi"/"multiple" will get your form denied 100% of the time now.

And in that thread someone brought up the letter thing - if you get your stamp and build a second upper later on send the ATF a letter informing them of the new caliber / barrel length and request a letter back from them acknowledging that they received the letter and you're good to go when you get the reply.

Has anyone done it that way?

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Does anyone know of a lawyer or a person to navigate the registration system to legally SBR a few AR for me? In the Fort Wayne area?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Not sure where the confusion is coming from.
    The "free" tax stamp is for the ugly arm brace pistols, not just any sbr you build. If you think your going to build a sbr with what ever stock you want and get it registed FREE..you are so mistaken!! You are not going to register it and then throw a regular adjustable stock on it. It appears it specifically states a pistol with the arm brace = sbr and registered free
    ******Arm brace pistols only*****
    If i am over stating something, please correct me, but it seems its pretty clear what is being freely registered in the new law.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Does anyone know of a lawyer or a person to navigate the registration system to legally SBR a few AR for me? In the Fort Wayne area?
    Get ahold of aszerigan. He has a help thread in this forum section and seems to know the 8ns and outs of the process.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Not sure where the confusion is coming from.
    The "free" tax stamp is for the ugly arm brace pistols, not just any sbr you build. If you think your going to build a sbr with what ever stock you want and get it registed FREE..you are so mistaken!! You are not going to register it and then throw a regular adjustable stock on it. It appears it specifically states a pistol with the arm brace = sbr and registered free
    ******Arm brace pistols only*****
    If i am over stating something, please correct me, but it seems its pretty clear what is being freely registered in the new law.
    Where did I say anything about the brace ruling or not paying for this stamp?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Where did I say anything about the brace ruling or not paying for this stamp?
    Well maybe you should reread your posts where you talked about barrel length measurements with a collapseable stock and also registering to evade the $200. All this is in reference to an sbr. Free stamp doesn't contain a foldable stock.

"I was considering making this a pistol real quick to save the $200 but I don't know if the legal limbo that rule change might get caught up in could affect the stamp process."

"And how am I supposed to measure the OAL with a collapsible stock? Shortest position to end of muzzle device? Longest? It's almost like they want me to assemble it illegally to measure it so I get it on the dot measured right."

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Well maybe you should reread your posts where you talked about barrel length measurements with a collapseable stock and also registering to evade the $200. All this is in reference to an sbr. Free stamp doesn't contain a foldable stock.

"I was considering making this a pistol real quick to save the $200 but I don't know if the legal limbo that rule change might get caught up in could affect the stamp process."

"And how am I supposed to measure the OAL with a collapsible stock? Shortest position to end of muzzle device? Longest? It's almost like they want me to assemble it illegally to measure it so I get it on the dot measured right."
    You got me on the first quote. I forgot which post this was.

SBRs can have foldable stocks though so I'm not sure how that's going over your head? If I'm registering any pistol under amnesty why wouldn't I put the new measurements it will have with a stock? I'd certainly not be keeping the brace on them after the stamp came in lol

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    You got me on the first quote. I forgot which post this was.

SBRs can have foldable stocks though so I'm not sure how that's going over your head? If I'm registering any pistol under amnesty why wouldn't I put the new measurements it will have with a stock? I'd certainly not be keeping the brace on them after the stamp came in lol
    Because your not registering ANY pistol you want under amnesty..just like i said earlier.. arm brace pistols only. What part of that is going over your head? That was the whole point of my original post and apparently you don't get it. I also wouldn't be advertising your intents because you don't know who is lookibg at these forums.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Because your not registering ANY pistol you want under amnesty..just like i said earlier.. arm brace pistols only. What part of that is going over your head? That was the whole point of my original post and apparently you don't get it. I also wouldn't be advertising your intents because you don't know who is lookibg at these forums.
    I have several pistols that used to have braces. The one quote you're referring to was one receiver that I decided against doing this and just paid the stamp for instead. Not sure how the idea of multiple firearms being owned by someone is going over your head. These questions applied to more than one firearm.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have several pistols that used to have braces. The one quote you're referring to was one receiver that I decided against doing this and just paid the stamp for instead. Not sure how the idea of multiple firearms being owned by someone is going over your head. These questions applied to more than one firearm.
    If your trying to register for the free tax stamp, then 1 and only 1 thing applies, does the so called pistol have the arm brace attached. Your statements above applied to folding stock and such. I don't know why it's such an argument for you when you proved the intentions and i corrected you on it. Maybe you should call the feds up and ask them an such. I don't think you would be arguing or back tracking statements made an such.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If your trying to register for the free tax stamp, then 1 and only 1 thing applies, does the so called pistol have the arm brace attached. Your statements above applied to folding stock and such. I don't know why it's such an argument for you when you proved the intentions and i corrected you on it. Maybe you should call the feds up and ask them an such. I don't think you would be arguing or back tracking statements made an such
    Tagging for interest. Considering going this direction for my AR Pistol that is currently a PCC using a magwell adapter, so the multi caliber issue is a question I had as well.
    Just register with cal you are using.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    If your trying to register for the free tax stamp, then 1 and only 1 thing applies, does the so called pistol have the arm brace attached. Your statements above applied to folding stock and such. I don't know why it's such an argument for you when you proved the intentions and i corrected you on it. Maybe you should call the feds up and ask them an such. I don't think you would be arguing or back tracking statements made an such.
    And such*

Not back tracking. But the obvious thing still stands, why would I not use measurements with the intended length? That's what I did for the 9mm pistol I applied for after getting the answer.

I wouldn't put inaccurate measurements on the form 1 on purpose. After the stamp comes you can put a stock on - and that's the configuration they're asking for on the form. How is this hard to grasp still?

I DID actually email the feds about this for 100% confirmation on a question. So yeah. They replied and were very kind.

Top Bottom