• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Glad you’re getting started! The barrier to entry may seem daunting, but you’ll later look back on the figuring-it-out phase as one of the best parts.

I’d recommend starting on something with a high lesson-per-hour ratio. For example: public land deer hunting where you might have one shot per season will be very tough to gain experience and understand what to do and what not to do. Squirrel hunting in a target rich environment could allow dozens of stalks/interactions in a single morning, and you’ll learn much faster what to do or not do.

Skinning, cleaning and cooking small game like squirrels and rabbits gives valuable experience with low risk. One spoiled squirrel is a lot easier to handle than 60 lbs of spoiled venison.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Every animal should fall into the fur or food category?
    I'm not eating coyotes and burying them is more economical than skinning them and tanning hides. Vermin....just like coons, groundhogs, etc. Hawks, buzzards and crows find them tasty. Our deer and turkey populations have rebounded nicely since the coyote population is being kept in check.

Christow19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2017
    Greencastle
    I started deer hunting from just shooting paper and it worked well for me. If you don’t want to hunt squirrels and aren’t keen on eating them then don’t do it. Yes it may give you a since of what is to come with deer hunting but if you have your mind set to deer hunt, and you make the commitment, it won’t be hard to sit and freeze your tail off while waiting for a deer to walk in. Because when you’re successful and harvest a deer it is a great feeling.

The main hang up for most is land. If you have private land you think is acceptable for deer hunting than great, but if not it’s public. And that can be hard. One there is not much public land in Indiana in comparison to other states. Second there are a lot of hunters here in Indiana. If you do not have access to private land, I suggest just getting ahold of people who own property you’d like to hunt and call them up. Farmers are most of the time more than happy to let someone take the “pest” off the land. I got 83 acres this year by just asking.

Good luck, have fun, and it may sound dumb to some but watch some YouTube videos. The internet can be a crude place but also wonderful for information

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    I started deer hunting from just shooting paper and it worked well for me. If you don’t want to hunt squirrels and aren’t keen on eating them then don’t do it. Yes it may give you a since of what is to come with deer hunting but if you have your mind set to deer hunt, and you make the commitment, it won’t be hard to sit and freeze your tail off while waiting for a deer to walk in. Because when you’re successful and harvest a deer it is a great feeling.

The main hang up for most is land. If you have private land you think is acceptable for deer hunting than great, but if not it’s public. And that can be hard. One there is not much public land in Indiana in comparison to other states. Second there are a lot of hunters here in Indiana. If you do not have access to private land, I suggest just getting ahold of people who own property you’d like to hunt and call them up. Farmers are most of the time more than happy to let someone take the “pest” off the land. I got 83 acres this year by just asking.

Good luck, have fun, and it may sound dumb to some but watch some YouTube videos. The internet can be a crude place but also wonderful for information
    Don't call for permission, have the courtesy to meet face to face. If he gives you permission remember that you are a guest in his house and act accordingly. Make sure that you know the boundaries of the property and stay where you belong, trespassing is a serious crime.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    YouTube…. Some are more entertaining some more educational but all have lessons if you listen. A few YouTubers
    I found helpful in my journey
    the hunting public
    growing deer tv
    deer meat for dinner
    mulletman

I sat for 3 deer seasons never getting a deer my first 3 seasons. 8 years later this is my first season without getting a deer but the difference is it was by choice this year.

hunting squirrels is a great way to get your feet wet and not EASY like people make it out to be. Even those dumb city squirrels learn pretty quick what is dangerous. And they taste like chicken. Must be pressure cooked or slow cooked otherwise you will have squirrel jerky.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What would you do with the squirrels if you weren't keen on eating them?
    Curious if you have had squirrel and didn’t like it? Or if you just won’t try it? Pressure cook then bread and fry squirrel legs …… puts chicken to shame. Squirrel has led a much healthier productive life compared to the nasty Tyson’s chicken. Sorry that will be the end of my food rant.

Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    And you could always start a side business……

Attachments

• BBA0EA47-4287-4D87-AD4F-409414D49E0C.png
      BBA0EA47-4287-4D87-AD4F-409414D49E0C.png
      1.5 MB · Views: 3

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    •Wear oranger when required
    •Don’t shoot if you’re not sure what your shooting at !
    •Make sure what’s behind your target
    •Read the Hunting Regs
    •Wear a safety harness
    •No your property lines
    •Sit still

That’s all I got !

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A big old boar fox squirrel is tough anyway you fix it.
    I’ll call BS on that one. In you’re 65 years of hunting (you started at 12) if you have never had canned squirrel in chicken stock you’ve missed something. It falls off the bone as you pull the bones out of the jar. Use like chicken and noodles. Or just pull the bones out and poor off the stock, pour on a dollop of bbq sauce heat in microwave and serve on buns like bbq sandwiches.

My favorite though is to brown it in oil, in cast iron skillet. Take off stove top. Pour off excess oil, pour on a pint jar of salsa, cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil, place in oven at 350 for about an hour and a half. So tender you can eat it without dentures. (Ask me how I know).

But these are things that have worked for me, they may not work for others. And I don’t care how old and tuff the squirrel was at the beginning.

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    I’ll call BS on that one. In you’re 65 years of hunting (you started at 12) if you have never had canned squirrel in chicken stock you’ve missed something. It falls off the bone as you pull the bones out of the jar. Use like chicken and noodles. Or just pull the bones out and poor off the stock, pour on a dollop of bbq sauce heat in microwave and serve on buns like bbq sandwiches.

My favorite though is to brown it in oil, in cast iron skillet. Take off stove top. Pour off excess oil, pour on a pint jar of salsa, cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil, place in oven at 350 for about an hour and a half. So tender you can eat it without dentures. (Ask me how I know).

But these are things that have worked for me, they may not work for others. And I don’t care how old and tuff the squirrel was at the beginning.
    Never canned squirrel, have canned venison.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Never canned squirrel, have canned venison.
    We can squirrel, and rabbits, venison, All in the water used to parboil pre canning, just add either half dozen beef or chicken bouillon cubes to water used. Wife makes either like chicken and noodles or stroganoff, just have to be careful not to brake up the meat to much, it will fall apart, I like the sandwiches because it’s so simple I can do it. Come in from chores or hunting on a cold day, hot good food in a couple minutes. Nobody knows it’s wild game unless you tell them.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Let me know the next time she makes it, and how long my travel time would be from Indy! :drool: That does sound good.
    Will do, looks like the next time I’ll be able to eat or drink anything is mid March after her graduation, ( PU, Masters @ 60) but in all honesty I’ll probably take her out.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Squirrel stroganoff... That sounds mighty fancy.
    It takes her about 30-40 minutes start to finish cause the meat is already cooked. Noodles in one pot, the toppings in a sauce pan, add meat of choice fold together and plate n serve. It’s one of the best thing I’ve eaten. Secret is useing the absolute cheapest wine you can buy for the sauce. Good wine will ruin it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It takes her about 30-40 minutes start to finish cause the meat is already cooked. Noodles in one pot, the toppings in a sauce pan, add meat of choice fold together and plate n serve. It’s one of the best thing I’ve eaten. Secret is useing the absolute cheapest wine you can buy for the sauce. Good wine will ruin it.
    I used to use "cooking sherry" for stroganoff, but I've heard that I should've used "drinking sherry".

Top Bottom