• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had my wife buy one the day I began my quarantine. Should she have been out at the store?...another argument. (She tested negative that same day)

Anyhow, what I found over my quarantine, was that the colder my hands were, the lower my O2 sats read.

And I could get a range of readings depending on which finger I used.

So... my advice is A) Make sure your hands are warm. And B) check more than one finger.
    It's fascinating...at least to me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's fascinating...at least to me.

That is pretty fascinating. My Apple Watch has one. I can get o2 saturation, heart rate, and a ECG image just from my watch. But the o2 sensor is a lot like the fingertip one except that it bounces the light off the wrist and reads the reflected light from the sensor, instead of reading it through the opposite side of the finger.

There are some pretty strict limitations to the o2 sensor in the watch. It's very consistent though and I think fairly accurate as well. The watch has to fit just right. I have to wrest my arm on something and keep my wrist in-line with my arm.

I've never been able to get a reading while standing up even while wresting my arm on something and keeping still. Possibly having to do with different blood pressure affecting the calibration. Also, immediately after exercising, I can't get a reading until my heart rate falls below something around 110 bpm.

If I want an on-demand reading, I have to tell it to start. It senses for 15 seconds and then gives the % saturation. But it will automatically take readings periodically. I often wear it through sleeping to make sure my o2 levels aren't dipping abnormally low.

So far it's just been good for peace of mind. I'm getting older, and I'm overweight, so the value to me is in the confirmation that my respiratory system is functioning in the normal range.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    It’s hit a little closer to home for me today. My mom has been sick since last Wednesday with covid. She had the infusion Friday and was feeling better before she even left the building.
    dad started getting sick Friday. His test was negative so they wouldn’t do the infusion till he got a positive test. Well he tested positive today and is now at the ER. Waiting to see if they will admit him. He is 65 with severe COPD. He started smoking when he was 10 and smoked for about 40 years. Not to mention all the years of logging and sawmilling didn’t do any justice to his lungs.
    So now we wait.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It’s hit a little closer to home for me today. My mom has been sick since last Wednesday with covid. She had the infusion Friday and was feeling better before she even left the building.
    dad started getting sick Friday. His test was negative so they wouldn’t do the infusion till he got a positive test. Well he tested positive today and is now at the ER. Waiting to see if they will admit him. He is 65 with severe COPD. He started smoking when he was 10 and smoked for about 40 years. Not to mention all the years of logging and sawmilling didn’t do any justice to his lungs.
    So now we wait.
    Damn. :-(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So now we wait.
    Prayers and best wishes.

Get him the monoclonal antibodies if possible.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    He just got home actually. He got the bamlanivimab infusion. It’s the same one my mom got. It made her snap back pretty fast. So we will see how it works on him. I was at their house feeding the cows and other animals when he got home. I talked to him and mom both while they were on the porch and I was in the driveway. I could tell he was feeling pretty bad but he still seemed strong under the circumstances.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Checked on my parents this morning. Mom said dad was worse last night and she was worried the antibodies weren’t working. Then this morning when she woke up he was already up sitting at the table drinking coffee and joking around with her. Said he’s like a totally different person. So apparently this synthetic antibody works pretty well.
    I did say I will laugh at them when they both turn into ninja turtles from whatever this stuff is.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Checked on my parents this morning. Mom said dad was worse last night and she was worried the antibodies weren’t working. Then this morning when she woke up he was already up sitting at the table drinking coffee and joking around with her. Said he’s like a totally different person. So apparently this synthetic antibody works pretty well.
    I did say I will laugh at them when they both turn into ninja turtles from whatever this stuff is.
    That is good news. Good news indeed.

We got my step dad this antibody stuff, too. I don't even think he was down as hard as I was...and I didn't have a bad case what so ever.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Great news!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I woke up on 1/1 and couldn't taste or smell. Scheduled a test, positive. I was pretty sick for the first three days then just really fatigued. My folks got it as well and we think it came from church as a lot of members got it. We were really careful with masks, distance, etc as my Dad has some lung problems. Thankfully I got it worse than them. My wife had already had her first shot from her work so thankfully she didn't get it.

We're all good to go now. It's nothing to fool with though. I don't know why I hadn't put that in here yet. Stay safe out there.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, right now my wife and I think we've got a cold. Likely source is our grandson as he had sniffles and sneezing this past weekend when he visited. Daughter has same symptoms as we do. No fever, but sinus congestion and sore throat. She got a covid test yesterday. I'm feeling better this morning, so I'm not going to get a test unless her results are positive, or my symptoms worsen markedly today/tomorrow.

We had the first round of the Pfizer inoculation about 9 days ago. My bet is on a cold right now.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Well, right now my wife and I think we've got a cold. Likely source is our grandson as he had sniffles and sneezing this past weekend when he visited. Daughter has same symptoms as we do. No fever, but sinus congestion and sore throat. She got a covid test yesterday. I'm feeling better this morning, so I'm not going to get a test unless her results are positive, or my symptoms worsen markedly today/tomorrow.

We had the first round of the Pfizer inoculation about 9 days ago. My bet is on a cold right now.
    Hopefully that's all it is. I tend to get a little sinus junk every winter and after having the rice rabies this summer every time I cough or sneeze I'm like oh hell no, not again.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Although not first person a good friend told me that she lost her brother to it last week and her dad probably won't make it to the weekend. Really makes me thankful for no more than I had to deal with and a touch guilty as well.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Father and mother in law in late 70's had it bad for a week, she tested positive and got treated at hospital. He tested negative and had to wait 2 days later for a positive and had got even worse waiting, but got the treatment also. Within 2 days they were already feeling better! Then their best fiends who are in their 90's got it, the man he thought should be in the hospital, they both got treated also and after a couple days are doing better!! Friend form work has dad in retirement home tested positive...the only one...hmmmm...no staff or anyone else and they isolated him for 2 weeks and then tested negative and went back to his room just fine except he suffers from other illness but was never sick. Died 3 weeks later suddenly and they put down he died from Covid, and my friend is furious saying his dad did not die from covid.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Daughter's COVID test was negative. Feel about the same this morning as yesterday. No fever. Just some nasal congestion and PND leading ot occasional coughing.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Daycare adults got it, the boys were exposed for ~4 hours to an asymptomatic person. Our quarantine is over now with no illness. Everyone has recovered who was sick.

Top Bottom