• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Well I've had my fun over the years with holy-black & caplocks, but I'm feeling the need to venture back to the 1700s & get a flinter. Though I'd love to just dump some $$ on a pristine reproduction & make smoke, budget is kind of tight so I'm hoping to build something & save a few bucks. I'm not set on a smooth bore, rifle or pistol, so anything goes within a low budget. Is it possible to strike the frizzin for under $500 bucks?? Kit vendors? Thanks for any ideas!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, are you looking for more historic type fun or something a little more modern build?

I've bought several flintlock guns from Loyalist Arms in Canada. They are all made in India (cue boos and hisses), but Loyalist goes over the guns, hardens the frizzens, drills the touch holes, and does some lock works.

I've got both the 1763/66 French pistol, in .69 caliber (smoothbore) and the 1768 French Infantry musket (Charleville, also in .69 caliber). Both guns spark very strongly and fire every time. Barrels are nice and thick and the guns are solidly built.

I have an antique French MLE1822 percussion pistol (which is basically a descendant of the 1763 pistol) and the modern replica compares pretty favorably to the real deal in looks and feel.

The pistols from Loyalist are all smoothbore (India bans making rifled barrels apparently) and they are almost all in the $399 range (plus shipping). It's a small shop (might just be a husband and wife), but they are nice folks.

Another way to go is to keep an eye out for used Pedersoli pistols that hit the market. I picked up an 1807 Harpers Ferry rifled flintlock pistol for about $400 on Gunbroker. Their guns are Italian made and really quite nice (though my pistol is .58 caliber when the original was .54 caliber, so not the most accurate replica).

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Thanks for the info on Loyalist arms, they have quite the selection. I figure if I'm going to go flintlock, I may as well go with a correct repro. Did some searching around & even saw a traditions flintlock with a black synthetic stock??:dunno: I think I'm leaning towards a rifle as it would be pretty cool to bag a deer with a flinter during ML season. Kits I found seem kinda pricey at +$400 especially when I've seen a few used flintlicks on GB for 400-500

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I wish I had never read this thread.

Flintlocks were never guns that had crossed my mind for any reason but as soon as I read the title a light went on: "oooo, owning one of THOSE might be fun."

Thanks, you guys suck (;)), and probably just cost me several hundred dollars.
    Lol, I said the same thing about cap & ball years ago when I saw a Remmie in the bargain cave at Cabela's. "Hey this looks cool & it's only 130 bucks" (where did those bargains go...) Little did I know how addictive it would be become! But it did get me through the covid ammo crisis, they are great for cheap fun. I just wish the flintlocks were a bit cheaper, even the unfinished kits seem to all be over $400. Must be the Putin price hike:n00b:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I wish I had never read this thread.

Flintlocks were never guns that had crossed my mind for any reason but as soon as I read the title a light went on: "oooo, owning one of THOSE might be fun."

Thanks, you guys suck (;)), and probably just cost me several hundred dollars.
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Are there Places / Events where you can "Test" one before spending $ 1,000 ?

walkercolt

Plinker
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    The vendors that I have had good luck with for black powder related items are Midway USA , Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf and Cabela's.

I noticed that Midway has some Tradition kit guns that fall below the $500.00 range https://www.midwayusa.com/black-powder-rifles/br?cid=23206 . It seems that availability is hit and miss, so you just have to keep watch.

My favorite flintlock is a Pedersoli Hawken rifle, I like the Hawken style because they are so easy to breakdown and clean. Traditions will probably be closer to your price point and they have good rifles and pistols.

Not sure how far you are from Friendship Indiana, but they have a Black Powder meet coming up June 11th, might be a good place to look for a new or used one.

https://friendshipfleamarket.com/#:~:text=Held Twice a Year&text=The Spring 2022 Show is June 11-19.

Not sure if my links made it thru or not.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Yeah I figured that synth stock traditions was to get around some rule somewhere. They better watch it with that evil black stock though, it may be classified as an assault-flintlock. I'd love to go to Friendship its been on my radar for a long time, but I don't think its in the cards this year

walkercolt

Plinker
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I haven't been to friendship either, I would like to change that also.

Hopefully you can find a flintlock that you like in your target price range. They are pretty fun and right now I can find flints everywhere, can't say the same about percussion caps or ammo.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    The vendors that I have had good luck with for black powder related items are Midway USA , Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf and Cabela's.

I noticed that Midway has some Tradition kit guns that fall below the $500.00 range https://www.midwayusa.com/black-powder-rifles/br?cid=23206 . It seems that availability is hit and miss, so you just have to keep watch.

My favorite flintlock is a Pedersoli Hawken rifle, I like the Hawken style because they are so easy to breakdown and clean. Traditions will probably be closer to your price point and they have good rifles and pistols.

Not sure how far you are from Friendship Indiana, but they have a Black Powder meet coming up June 11th, might be a good place to look for a new or used one.

https://friendshipfleamarket.com/#:~:text=Held Twice a Year&text=The Spring 2022 Show is June 11-19.

Not sure if my links made it thru or not.
    How is Friendship? Last time I went up there it was practically dead, probably 8-10 years ago. I used to love going when I was younger, there was an older man from Arkansas I bought a knife from every year. Great place if it's back to what it once was. Pedersoli is always a strong option for beginner flint locks.

When the flint bug bites you'll prefer it over a cap.
    I've got both but prefer the reliability of a cap, even the blasphemous 209 for added insurance.
    One tidbit I've gleaned in my limited experience with a frizzen pan, shy away from Pyrodex unless judicious wipedown with alcohol between shots is employed. It seems that Pyrodex leaves an oily film after ignition which assists in the cleaning but defeats a readily available spark for ignitions following. Go Goex or Scheutzen.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I baught a SOUTHERN MOUNTAIN RIFLE KIT sold by Jim Kibler. Styling is from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina. https://www.jimkibler.net This is one of the best kits out there. The frizzen is very important for good sparking. Some of the cheaper kits may or may not spark enough for fast shots. Kibler uses CNC for inletting and making of parts. Go here for good info. https://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Thanks for all the replies, some good info especially the lock time on a weak spark, makes sense. Unfortunately the flinter will have to wait, Dad just passed away so funds shifting to funeral arrangements. It's funny for a man who was a Vietnam vet & MP he never owned a single gun. Almost talked him into a 1911 for nostalgias sake but the clock has run out... God speed Dad, see you again on the flip side.

Top Bottom