• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ok, so I haven't read up on the rule but... dumb question- whats the difference?
    It's based on who manufactured the now classified SBR. If the factory made the gun then the manufacturer and the gun gets a pass and a free stamp with conditions. If an individual added a brace to a short barreled pistol then the individual manufactured the SBR and is subject to the $200 tax

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    It's based on who manufactured the now classified SBR. If the factory made the gun then the manufacturer and the gun gets a pass and a free stamp with conditions. If an individual added a brace to a short barreled pistol then the individual manufactured the SBR and is subject to the $200 tax

I hope that isn't the case because they did not make that clear in any of their documentation. There are a few people on reddit claiming to have amnesty approvals for home builds, but there are many people who have approvals only for factory built firearms.

The ATF does explicitly state that an imported pistol that later had a brace added is subject to the amnesty because you didnt manufacture the firearm. Legally this would be no different than assembling a stripped AR lower reciever, but I'm not a lawyer and dont know the government's motives.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I hope that isn't the case because they did not make that clear in any of their documentation. There are a few people on reddit claiming to have amnesty approvals for home builds, but there are many people who have approvals only for factory built firearms.

The ATF does explicitly state that an imported pistol that later had a brace added is subject to the amnesty because you didnt manufacture the firearm. Legally this would be no different than assembling a stripped AR lower reciever, but I'm not a lawyer and dont know the government's motives.
    If people can get a free stamp on whatever then more power to them. I wouldn't take the risk. Since the ATF has your S/N and make/model of the receiver they can do a trace back and see how it was manufactured and sold from the factory. If it wasn't sold with a brace you just gave them evidence that you made it into an SBR. Now you're in for tax evasion and other NFA violations. That's all I'm saying. I hope guys don't get jammed up on this crap. I wouldn't trust any 3 letter agency

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If people can get a free stamp on whatever then more power to them. I wouldn't take the risk. Since the ATF has your S/N and make/model of the receiver they can do a trace back and see how it was manufactured and sold from the factory. If it wasn't sold with a brace you just gave them evidence that you made it into an SBR. Now you're in for tax evasion and other NFA violations. That's all I'm saying. I hope guys don't get jammed up on this crap. I wouldn't trust any 3 letter agency

If they reject the amnesty applications, I'll just resubmit under normal Form1s. I dont trust the government either, but it's a stretch to say that they have any grounds for felonies or tax evasion since there is amnesty until the end of May. The proof of submission gives you amnesty until you are approved or denied.

Top Bottom