• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I too suspect that this fishing expedition will end with a return to the previous rules, but that they'll either give an option to engrave and keep your SBR (they did get the federal registration they wanted) or retract the application and go back to braced.

I can’t see them letting people keep the registration without proof of engravement, so I expect them to retract the application and force people to start over and pay for the stamp.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I mean lets be perfectly honest - it costs way more than $200 in batfe manpower to do the background check and they already have your name and the serial number of the weapon (the thing they wanted). Keep in mind there's no proof submission or post-approval inspection of engraving for current form 1 process. I can see it going either way but I doubt they'd just shred that info and let it go back into general circulation unless you specifically retract application.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Has anyone been approved without sending in pictures of the serialized portion? I just realized that the attachments dont save unless you hit the "Add Document" button in step 3.

Edit: Just realized I can add attachments after submission, so I went back and added photos. I never submitted photos for my normal SBRs, but I dont know if they want photos for all the amnesty submissions or not.

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I don't have any pistols, but i think an sbr would be nice. I personally think they know the law would be shot down and are using this as a ploy to gather information of what and how many are out there. I also believe what someone else said that once it's struck down, those free stamps will be rescinded. I don't they are as stupid as some believe in which removing the brace and throwing a stock on. That could be the ATFs next move to nail those that did swap brace for stock and say the applicants committed pergury or whatever crime they will call it.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Has anyone been approved without sending in pictures of the serialized portion? I just realized that the attachments dont save unless you hit the "Add Document" button in step 3.

Edit: Just realized I can add attachments after submission, so I went back and added photos. I never submitted photos for my normal SBRs, but I dont know if they want photos for all the amnesty submissions or not.
    I had one conditionally approved last week that I did not submit any pictures with.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I don't have any pistols, but i think an sbr would be nice. I personally think they know the law would be shot down and are using this as a ploy to gather information of what and how many are out there. I also believe what someone else said that once it's struck down, those free stamps will be rescinded. I don't they are as stupid as some believe in which removing the brace and throwing a stock on. That could be the ATFs next move to nail those that did swap brace for stock and say the applicants committed pergury or whatever crime they will call it.
    I don't think this is an accurate method to determine how many are out there. The rate of noncompliance is likely significant. I'm the only one that I know of personally who has actually submitted the form. Most previous brace owners that I am personally aware of, have had several boating accidents over the past few months.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I wanted to share that the one that was approved was my CMMG Banshee. Not sure if it matters that it was a pistol sold by a vendor. I have a Daniel Defense still pending, so not sure why they both wouldn’t have approved around the same time. Then all the rest of mine are home builds.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I wanted to share that the one that was approved was my CMMG Banshee. Not sure if it matters that it was a pistol sold by a vendor. I have a Daniel Defense still pending, so not sure why they both wouldn’t have approved around the same time. Then all the rest of mine are home builds.
    You may be on to something. The one I have approved is a Century AP5, still waiting on my home assembled AR lower.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am wondering if the delay in my approval (one pending since 1/19/23) are because my form 1 was for a trust. Also mine was for a PSA JAKL so also a braced pistol sold by manufacturer.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It's my understanding that to be eligible for the "free" stamp the pistol had to be purchased with the brace on it. Otherwise you'd have a bunch of folks getting "free" stamps on stripped lowers laying around. I'm pretty sure they said that's a no no

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    It's my understanding that to be eligible for the "free" stamp the pistol had to be purchased with the brace on it. Otherwise you'd have a bunch of folks getting "free" stamps on stripped lowers laying around. I'm pretty sure they said that's a no no
    thats the first i heard of that.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    thats the first i heard of that.
    You have to read between the lines on this one. The AFT is taking a stance that braced pistols have ALWAYS been SBRs. That's very important to remember and understand. If PSA sells a braced pistol then AFT is saying PSA sold an SBR. That's why they're not requiring you to engrave as the manufacturer because PSA was the manufacturer of that SBR. Remember the part of the AFT saying they've always been SBRs? See where this is going? Now if Joe Smith buys a stripped lower from PSA then that's not an SBR. When Joe puts a brace on it with a 11.5" barreled upper the AFT says YOU manufactured the SBR and then will require engraving of your trust or individual info and pay the required $200 tax

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    Thanks for your contribution to the forum.
    You're very welcome. The number of people willing to register there guns and submit photos and fingerprints for an Atf ruling that will not hold up in court is astonishing. All because of a free tax stamp.

But hey if you go back in history I'm sure gun registration has worked out for other countries right?

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    You're very welcome. The number of people willing to register there guns and submit photos and fingerprints for an Atf ruling that will not hold up in court is astonishing. All because of a free tax stamp.

But hey if you go back in history I'm sure gun registration has worked out for other countries right?

I understand your point, but there are several of us that are already in the NFA game with suppressors and such. I'm sure my name is already on multiple lists, so at this point a free stamp is a free stamp.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I understand your point, but there are several of us that are already in the NFA game with suppressors and such. I'm sure my name is already on multiple lists, so at this point a free stamp is a free stamp.
    This is my thought on this exactly. Between my NFA stuff and FCC license’s the government already has my info and knows what I have already.

Top Bottom