• ...and so much more!
  • Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    For all those preaching "never comply", I am curious to hear your ideas on how to proceed in the face of this ruling? Just refuse and stand strong and become a felon overnight? Deconstruct your AR pistols and hide your braces until the ruling is overturned? What is your reality based take on how to proceed? Not trying to stir it up, just honestly curious on certain peoples approach.
    I was excited to hear about it. I wanted to sbr my pistols anyway. Glad it saved me $400. They already had all my info.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was excited to hear about it. I wanted to sbr my pistols anyway. Glad it saved me $400. They already had all my info.
    I was no fan of this ruling and I do think it will eventually be struck down or overturned. However, in the interim....what are we all to do? I personally cannot afford to be made an example out of.

I already own NFA items so I am already on the "list". So I am with you...free stamps. However, there are a few guns I would have never SBRd, but oh well. As long as they are free.

But my question still stands. What do the Never Comply people do in practice, not ideology?

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    For all those preaching "never comply", I am curious to hear your ideas on how to proceed in the face of this ruling? Just refuse and stand strong and become a felon overnight? Deconstruct your AR pistols and hide your braces until the ruling is overturned? What is your reality based take on how to proceed? Not trying to stir it up, just honestly curious on certain peoples approach.
    See what pans out between now and close to the deadline and then make the decision. I'm not afraid of them knowing what I have, but it's still none of their business. My larger concern is the red tape associated with NFA items. If I had wanted a SBR, I would've gotten one a long time ago.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    See what pans out between now and close to the deadline and then make the decision. I'm not afraid of them knowing what I have, but it's still none of their business. My larger concern is the red tape associated with NFA items. If I had wanted a SBR, I would've gotten one a long time ago.
    Here was my take on it... And this all hypothetical, of course...

Say a fellow had a stack of stripped lowers and enough spare parts lying around to construct an AR pistol or two. According to the ATF, that's constructive intent. So if that gentleman decided that he did not want anything construed into him being a felon, he could "comply" and go ahead and register a couple of those lowers that had, prior to the ruling of course, originally been assembled into a pistol, or now "SBR". Well that gentleman maybe decided that he didn't want to be a felon at all, so he disassembled his illegal AR pistols/SBRs and went ahead and registered them with the ATF. Keeping them disassembled until a stamp was approved, to avoid breaking any laws, made up, unconstitutional, valid, or otherwise. If they were to get denied, he's not out anything because he didn't have much to begin with. If they're approved, he can go ahead and reassemble them freely into any SBR configuration that he wants. Without forking over any extra, unnecessary, money.

Hypothetically, of course.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

While the ATF has been incompetent in its rule promulgation and SBRs/Silencers should not be NFA items......I cannot pick and choose which laws I agree with and choose to follow or not. The "new" rules are ridiculous but they stand until they don't.

I remember all the conversation when the braces were first approved and everyone went "wink-wink" look at my new "pistol". I have never bought a braced pistol without understanding that I was living in a loophole that could close at any time.

Could the rule be overturned? Maybe but I fall on side that it stands at in least in principal. Judges are going to decide this. Most judges are probably not "gun people" and a most braced pistol ARs do not pass the smell test that it isn't an SBR. Govt entities are generally upheld in their rule making authority. Frankly, the ATF makes a good argument....even though I completely disagree with their implementation (current and past).

That being said, I filed my Form 1s this week on the firearms that I owned knowing I would SBR them when the brace rule was changed. I am already "in the system" with NFA and 4473 items so.....

1682858006892.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2017
    Benton Co.
    Number 2 approved today I still don't understand the conditions. Are they going to want their $200 before a stamp is sent or want engraving done? I did not get a stamp just email showing approved with conditions of final ruling.
    Judging by the approvals coming back it's pretty obvious.
    If you didn't pay your $200 and engrave the receiver you get "NO FREE" stamp. Just an approved form 1 with conditions.
    If a court, "in you Jurisdiction" overrules, No harm, no foul. No form1 needed.
    If the court lets it stand, you have there permission to SBR that receiver. But, no free stamp, ever.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Judging by the approvals coming back it's pretty obvious.
    If you didn't pay your $200 and engrave the receiver you get "NO FREE" stamp. Just an approved form 1 with conditions.
    If a court, "in you Jurisdiction" overrules, No harm, no foul. No form1 needed.
    If the court lets it stand, you have there permission to SBR that receiver. But, no free stamp, ever.
    Whats horseshit is all those Form 1's being done ASAP instead of the 6 months to a year and a half like the rest of NFA paperwork/stamp process takes.

Top Bottom